Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Patriotism.

US Patriotism.

Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Frederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really nice
Default Re: US Patriotism.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
An excellent point, and it relates directly to something my wife pointed out just yesterday; when we first arrived in Texas in 2003, almost every car had a "Support Our Troops" sticker of some sort. Now it's maybe one car in 20 at most. So what happened to all those "supportive" people? I think that as the war became less popular with the electorate, and as economic times got tougher back home, they simply lost interest. They never actively "supported" the troops in the first place, and now they're much more concerned about themselves, just like they were before the war.

I'm strongly opposed to the war in Iraq, and think that America did a terrible thing invading. However, I've consistently given money to the Fallen Heroes charity fund, helping to rehabilitate troops injured in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere around the world. I would never consider having a "Support Our Troops" sticker, as they have become strongly associated with the Republicans, the Right, and everything I most dislike about this country's politically polarized state. Yet I believe I am more "supportive" of our troops than the vast majority of Americans.

Totally agree with the above.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You don't have a clue. They are required to post 4 years. Benefits only last as long as they are enlisted. There are a lot of people that do try for a career but they end up getting weeded out due to not making promotion or other reasons. It's harder to remain in the military as you stay in.
Oh really, no clue???, does 25 years in the Air Force count???
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Naah, he's definitely a patriot because he wears a lapel pin of an American flag
lol, that what matters ,
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Maggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really nice

Hi
My husband is an F15-E pilot in the USAF. he hates the Support our troops stickers and most of our friends do. The support our troops is a bit of a joke as last year when my husbands squadron deployed 7 houses got burgled, the weird thing was it was only deployed airforce houses that were targeted! That is real support for you.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:40 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggiecoke
Hi
My husband is an F15-E pilot in the USAF. he hates the Support our troops stickers and most of our friends do. The support our troops is a bit of a joke as last year when my husbands squadron deployed 7 houses got burgled, the weird thing was it was only deployed airforce houses that were targeted! That is real support for you.
Woohoo! Strike Eagles! I'm officially jealous of you now.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Maggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really nice

I wouldn't be, I hardly see my hubby. I can't wait for him to get out and have a nice 9-5 job. On the other hand so much time together we may end up killing each other!!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:58 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be, I hardly see my hubby. I can't wait for him to get out and have a nice 9-5 job. On the other hand so much time together we may end up killing each other!!
My last OH was a former Eagle driver and ended up taking a second career as a Part 135 pilot for NetJets. It was a really good career for him. I'd recommend that route for yours instead of him contracting with a commercial line. No union but much better pay.

At any rate, I'm jealous because I miss having someone to talk about aviation with at length. Someone who shared the same passion. It worked for us and made it the most unique relationship I've been in. However its no longer the case. He's in Heaven now flying Gulfstreams and Learjets.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

He wants to be a physics teacher when he gets out or see if he can get into contracting, I am happy with what ever he does really. As long as he is happy and we are all safe.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

He wants to be a physics teacher when he gets out or see if he can get into contracting, I am happy with what ever he does really. As long as he is happy and we are all safe.
Troops to Teachers program.

Contracting-good money but............ Ex went to such garden spots as Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, Haiti, Liberia, Indonesia.........
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

I would love to go to Croatia, I have 2 friends that teach there. Looks a lovely place.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:13 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to go to Croatia, I have 2 friends that teach there. Looks a lovely place.
I visited the ex there and what I saw of it (the year after the war) was nice-Dubrovnik is excellent,