Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which US passport to apply for? Passport card?

Which US passport to apply for? Passport card?

Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which US passport to apply for? Passport card?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why? What do you have to hide?

I used to worry about the government snooping through my personal data, then I realized my life is rather boring so it doesn't matter what the government is looking for, they won't find it.
Originally Posted by octopus1980
This is clearly for another topic. But government snooping is not as innocent as you may think. In short, lets pretend good guys are in power today. No need to worry right. Tomorrow bad guys take over and they have the entire system already set up.

Asking "What do you have to hide?" is very dangerous. If you say you don't care about privacy, because you have nothing to hide that basically equals to saying you don't care about free speech, because you have nothing to say.

We may start another thread for this :-)
Indeed. The common refrain is 'If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear' to which my reply is 'If I have nothing to hide then what are you looking for?'

If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

My regular US passport is pretty much full, after 5 years. I didn't get the larger one as at the time you could add pages to your passport. That is no longer an option and I'll likely have to renew in the next year or so. It'll be the big boy next time. I find the passport card useful, as it proves US citizenship and is accepted a form of federal ID everywhere. More useful than a non real-id compliant Oregon DL....
Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Which reminds me of a time before I had moved here. I was with my wife to be getting on a boat in Portland and they accepted my cinema pass as a form of photo ID.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Indeed. The common refrain is 'If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear' to which my reply is 'If I have nothing to hide then what are you looking for?'
But they are looking, and there's nothing much I can do about it. Life is too short to stress about such things, so I don't and I won't. Hence my attitude.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 6:45 am
Just Joined

octopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
My regular US passport is pretty much full, after 5 years. I didn't get the larger one as at the time you could add pages to your passport.
Would you mind sharing what is taking up the most space. Visas or stamps? Do you also have UK passport?

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I find the passport card useful, as it proves US citizenship and is accepted a form of federal ID everywhere. More useful than a non real-id compliant Oregon DL....
Since I started this thread I have done more research on passport cards and turns out to be pretty useless document unless you go a lot to Mexico or Canada by land. I am afraid nobody outside the U.S. would take it, and some people even mention folks in the U.S. are hesitant to accept passport card as in ID.

There was one valid point somebody brought up. The passport card can serve as proof of citizenship. Should you lose your passport and birth or naturalization certificate then you still have another form of ID.

One question. Can expired US passport be used as a valid proof of citizenship?

But they are looking, and there's nothing much I can do about it. Life is too short to stress about such things, so I don't and I won't. Hence my attitude.
I think you are totally correct. Life is too short to worry about stuff we have no control over.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 4th 2016, 11:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Passports will become obsolete when the populations DNA is all held on record and everyone is chipped. Chips have been trialed in animals for years, only a matter of time for them to become FDA approved.
Passports already are becoming obsolete because of the trusted traveller programs. I'm on my second Canadian passport and I've never gotten a stamp in it because I use my NEXUS card. The only time I ever need it is at check-in and I never bother to take it when going by land to the US.

On the subject of passport quality, the old 5-year Canadian passports were a joke, they seemed to be made out of toilet paper and papier-maché as far as I could tell. Get one wet and it would dissolve I'm sure. Since they went to 10-year passports in 2013 they are much better.

Can't honestly see the point to 52-page passports, you'd have to be one hell of a traveller to out of the way places, you've already got a UK passport so that doesn't get stamped when going to the UK. Haven't gotten a stamp in my UK passport either since I renewed it, thinking about it. Compared to my old one which is covered in visas and stamps.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 11:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I got the card but that's because I live in AZ. I haven't used it though. I don't recall but it was only a small extra cost at the time.

RealID/enhanced licenses keep getting postponed and pushed back.
Arizona has been issuing REAL ID compliant ID for awhile now.

I suggested to the UKPO that they issue a passport card for travel around Europe as they don't stamp the passport and they told me they had been considering the idea for some time. Something tells me that isn't going to happen.

I made the same suggestion to Passport Canada (given that most Canadians go to the US and they also don't stamp Canadian passports) and got back the snottiest response I think I've ever gotten from a civil servant.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't an enhanced driving licence the Canadian equivalent of a passport card?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 8:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Arizona has been issuing REAL ID compliant ID for awhile now.

I suggested to the UKPO that they issue a passport card for travel around Europe as they don't stamp the passport and they told me they had been considering the idea for some time. Something tells me that isn't going to happen.

I made the same suggestion to Passport Canada (given that most Canadians go to the US and they also don't stamp Canadian passports) and got back the snottiest response I think I've ever gotten from a civil servant.
Brexit is likely to put pay to that idea in the short term at least.