Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Orthodontics

US Orthodontics

Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Orthodontics

OK, so how long is a piece of string?

On average in Canada, general child orthodontics for braces cost about $6500 for treatment lasting 24-27 months.

Is there a similar ball park figure for the US? We may end up in the US and just wondered.

If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Orthodontics

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi View Post

On average in Canada, general child orthodontics for braces cost about $6500 for treatment lasting 24-27 months.

Is there a similar ball park figure for the US? We may end up in the US and just wondered.

That sounds about right.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.

Do you know if it'll be just the regular traintracks? Nothing weird and funky?

The missus had messed up teeth as a kid, had the tracks, then a retainer for a few years...the folks could have bought a new Merc for the final cost of treatment
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Indeed.

Do you know if it'll be just the regular traintracks? Nothing weird and funky?

The missus had messed up teeth as a kid, had the tracks, then a retainer for a few years...the folks could have bought a new Merc for the final cost of treatment
Yep - nothing fancy just regular tracks. Thanks too, to Jersey girl.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

We parted with somewhat less that that for our son (though it was partly covered by dental insurance), and got an interest-free payment plan from the orthodontist, so it seem too painful. For Mum and Dad that is. I think my son thought the braces were quite painful!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I got braces in January as an adult. Clear ceramic braces top and bottom. Total cost for 18-24 months' treatment including all visits, braces, retainers, bands etc is $5500. That's $2000 up front then $150/month, no interest or financing.

Plain metal were slightly cheaper, lingual braces that go on the inside of the teeth were about $8000.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

righttoroam is an unknown quantity at this point

That seems quite cheap in my opinion.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Totally area and traffic dependent. What costs $4,000 in Memphis would cost $8-10,000 in New York or west coast. Our employer is a plastic surgeon from NYC & he moans constantly about low prices in our area compared to NYC. Same with his dentist & orthodontist friends.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress View Post
Totally area and traffic dependent. What costs $4,000 in Memphis would cost $8-10,000 in New York or west coast. Our employer is a plastic surgeon from NYC & he moans constantly about low prices in our area compared to NYC. Same with his dentist & orthodontist friends.
Thank you. I figured that there would be some variation but just wanted to try and re-assure myself that it wasn't something quirky that was three times the cost. You know, sometimes when you move country, the thing that you least expect to be expensive, is through the roof cf with the UK.

Thanks for the replies....

Ps do you get discount treatment?? :-)