Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Obsession with "LIVE" reports

US Obsession with "LIVE" reports

Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:24 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Obsession with "LIVE" reports

What *IS* the US obsession with LIVE reports :-

"We are reporting live where 3 days ago a car crashed into this tree?"

Midnight news : - "Coming up LIVE outside the court where earlier today we interview Joe Blow". (Yes, Joe Blow is home in bed but we are still LIVE!!)

And also :-

On the news, "The weather yesterday was blah blah blah and coming up after the break, we'll give you the weather today.... .." - WHY CANNOT THEY NOT HAVE JUST GIVEN ME THE WEATHER today using less words than announcing it will be coming up !!

And last but not least the Radio Station Traffic reports :-

A fast talking newscaster goes "Now live on WSB we have breaking traffic news. WSB Traffic downtown on connecter south, west of east north of the connector traffic is flowing well but just south of the east of the north bound carraigway it's at a stand-still. This is BETH KNOW-IT-ALL reporting LIVE from WSB at the WSB station where your number one station is WSB. Over to our WSB news center to hear from our WSB newsteam". WTF - Just say "exit 25 Northbound, your screwed"....

END OF THURSDAY RANT...........
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Obsession with "LIVE" reports

Originally Posted by franc11s

Midnight news : - "Coming up LIVE outside the court where earlier today we interview Joe Blow". (Yes, Joe Blow is home in bed but we are still LIVE!!)

On the news, "The weather yesterday was blah blah blah and coming up after the break, we'll give you the weather today.... .." - WHY CANNOT THEY NOT HAVE JUST GIVEN ME THE WEATHER today using less words than announcing it will be coming up !!

A fast talking newscaster goes "Now live on WSB we have breaking traffic news. WSB Traffic downtown on connecter south, west of east north of the connector traffic is flowing well but just south of the east of the north bound carraigway it's at a stand-still. This is BETH KNOW-IT-ALL reporting LIVE from WSB at the WSB station where your number one station is WSB. Over to our WSB news center to hear from our WSB newsteam". WTF - Just say "exit 25 Northbound, your screwed"....

haha hope you feel better now you've had that rant.....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

haha!.......I know what you mean tho!. Atlanta traffic reports drive me nuts.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, me too.

Once I had to watch CNN for an entire day, waiting for a plane, it just loops around, there's nothing new the whole day, it's the same "live" reports!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

good rant though
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Lol, me too.

Once I had to watch CNN for an entire day, waiting for a plane, it just loops around, there's nothing new the whole day, it's the same "live" reports!
Kind of like Sky, though I think they loop every 30 minutes at times...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:58 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

What a strange thing to complain about.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard around CHicago too... we get reports like

"westbound on the Eisenhower is 13mins with a stopped vehicle at 5th"

the problem being that all the roads are identified by numbers and 5th isn't an exit...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I agree but what gets me is the locations and people they talk to. For instance if somebody was arrested for murder or something like that, some of the local stations will do a live report from some random place slightly connected to the person arrested and then interview people nothing to do with anything.

"Now over to Bill at the 7-11 on High Street"
"Thanks Chuck. I'm here at the 7-11 on High Street downtown Cleveland where suspected murderer John Smith bought a loaf of bread yesterday before going on a rampage 8 hours later in Cincinnati. With me is Maureen who sold him the bread at approximately 9:23 this morning. Maureen, what do you think of the developments after you sold Mr Smith the bread?"

That's seriously what some of the broadcasts are like, and a big reason I don't watch the news anymore. Unless it's Sky sports news!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I agree but what gets me is the locations and people they talk to. For instance if somebody was arrested for murder or something like that, some of the local stations will do a live report from some random place slightly connected to the person arrested and then interview people nothing to do with anything.

"Now over to Bill at the 7-11 on High Street"
"Thanks Chuck. I'm here at the 7-11 on High Street downtown Cleveland where suspected murderer John Smith bought a loaf of bread yesterday before going on a rampage 8 hours later in Cincinnati. With me is Maureen who sold him the bread at approximately 9:23 this morning. Maureen, what do you think of the developments after you sold Mr Smith the bread?"

That's seriously what some of the broadcasts are like, and a big reason I don't watch the news anymore. Unless it's Sky sports news!
Yeah thats our local news as well.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Yeah thats our local news as well.
Well MY local news has a segment for American Idol results!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Well MY local news has a segment for American Idol results!
We've got that too, being as Chris come's from these parts
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:14 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We had new teams outside our Middle School for over a week because a few of the kids had a rash.........
You could not go anywhere near the place without getting a mic in your face...and it was not just local news......
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

It's so you know you have all the gossip first and can run around and tell everybody.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

alone_star_state is an unknown quantity at this point

As a journalist I hang my head in shame watching Fox, CNN or even some of the local reports. I can't work out if it's a comedy, or a pre run of an action movie. Now, well now I just don't watch or listen to them.

BBC online, Guardian.co.uk all the way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.