British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US names (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-names-302388/)

Celtic_Angel May 13th 2005 2:07 am

Re: US names

Originally Posted by DaveC
Ha, I have a similar issue. One of my wife's friends recently called their new son John Thomas. I've restrained myself from pointing this out so far. Should I tell her? thought it was only a British term but my wife reckons that it was used in an episode of "Sex and The City".

uh oh rather you than me!!! good luck!!! :eek: :eek: :D

Englishmum May 13th 2005 2:26 am

I wonder how many parents in Dallas name their daughters Debbie? :eek:

syllk May 13th 2005 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I wonder how many parents in Dallas name their daughters Debbie? :eek:

I'll let you know when I get there...but somehow, I just know I'm going to be severely disappointed.

snowbunny May 13th 2005 4:58 am

Originally Posted by syllk
I'll let you know when I get there...but somehow, I just know I'm going to be severely disappointed.

Oh no you won't.

What age range you looking for, and does Deb(o)ra(h) count?

(vital stats are online before y'all hyperventilate)

BrandonBrit May 13th 2005 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
go on live a little call him ..........................

BRADEN!!!!

:p :D I fell in love with it as soon as i saw it(half way through the pregnancy) funny though he is my third and I'd been quite boring with my first two *lol* I've actually met a few Braden's here in Houston but only one of them was older than mine.......hopefully it'll not get too popular and looking on the bright side I don't think the girls will pinch it ;) :D

I have a little girl in my class called Braden... spelt the same way. I think it's a lovely name... I also work with three people in the district who have it as their last name.

I also know someone called Michael Michaels and another one called Chris Mus. :)

Celtic_Angel May 13th 2005 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
I have a little girl in my class called Braden...

A girl called Braden? :confused: IS no boys name sacred in this country!! :mad:

Bob May 13th 2005 4:13 pm

Well Carol is used as a boys name as much here as it is for girls...and the trend for Colin is to call 'em Coooline...sounds stupid..

snowbunny May 13th 2005 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Well Carol is used as a boys name as much here as it is for girls...and the trend for Colin is to call 'em Coooline...sounds stupid..

Or to spell it Collin so it doesn't look as much like Colon. Yes, kids are cruel.

Elvira May 13th 2005 4:33 pm

as for girls' names...

John Wayne's real name was...

Marion Morrison :eek: :D

Celtic_Angel May 13th 2005 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

a boy called Carol? :eek: And I thought they pronounced Colin as Colon......PMSL!!! :p :rolleyes:

ladylisa May 13th 2005 10:32 pm

On the news this week they featured a couple in Arizona that still havent named their daughter and she is now a year and a half old. Apparently they decided to wait and see what she looked like when she was born and still cant think of an appropriate name. Even her birthday cake had 'baby' on it! What a shame for the poor girl. There should be rules about giving a baby a new within a certain timeframe.

Celtic_Angel May 13th 2005 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
On the news this week they featured a couple in Arizona that still havent named their daughter and she is now a year and a half old. Apparently they decided to wait and see what she looked like when she was born and still cant think of an appropriate name. Even her birthday cake had 'baby' on it! What a shame for the poor girl. There should be rules about giving a baby a new within a certain timeframe.

there is isn't there :confused: what about her SSC and Birth certificate!! :eek:

I've got a name for the parents....MORONS!!! :D

ladylisa May 13th 2005 11:38 pm

Apparently she cant have either until she is named. The parents thought it amusing and so seem to be in no hurry. They say that as she is getting older no name seems to suit her. I think they arent trying hard enough. Just give her a bloody name :eek:

Bob May 14th 2005 12:09 am

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Apparently she cant have either until she is named. The parents thought it amusing and so seem to be in no hurry. They say that as she is getting older no name seems to suit her. I think they arent trying hard enough. Just give her a bloody name :eek:

though with that much time, they give her a duff name, when the kid grows up, never speak to them again after finding this out *lol*

NC Penguin May 14th 2005 2:42 am

I have an ex-coworker who is now living in WA. She's Canadian (Quebecoise actually) and her husband is Australian. Her daughters (both American born) are named Indiana and Sage!

I think both names are pretty odd but perhaps she mixes with a crowd whose children have equally exotic names.

NC Penguin