British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US names (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-names-302388/)

Eskimo May 12th 2005 4:03 am

Re: US names

work with a girl called cheddar - dying to ask her about her gorge :D

BritGuyTN May 12th 2005 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo

what about a mother calling her two kids

le'monjello

and

o'rangejello

?

I kid you not

Also

Evil

turned out the kid was named after Evil Kneviel (sp)

I have a ton more freakish stuff - my partner works in foster care!!!

Hammo May 12th 2005 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
what I hate the most is "Junior" for crying out loud give the kid his own name!!! :eek: :D

Got to agree with that. All these Fred Smith III etc is just ridiculous.

Also a lot of woman in this area are named after months. I actually know ladies named April, May, June and September!

g1ant May 12th 2005 7:14 am

Barnstoneworth ???

snowbunny May 12th 2005 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Best hope she wasn't conceived in Somerset and is onto you.....

of course, if she's confused, you could then go on to discuss the caves.
:rolleyes:

dbark May 12th 2005 9:52 am

I work in pre-school and also see some ridiculous names. Kyler, Skyler (boy), Skyla (girl), Zane, Tesla (apparently a rock band?), Hunter, Gunner, Boyd, Mason, Karsun (what's with the spelling??), Dawson (no prizes for guessing where that one came from!), McKenna, Casyn, Kamryn, to name but a few.

Like someone else mentioned, the more 'normal' names seem to be cross-gender too. We know a guy called Tracy, a girl called Kevan (pronounced Kevin), and I still chuckle when I meet a Randy (or Randi) :D

Lord Lionheart May 12th 2005 9:59 am

Originally Posted by dbark
I work in pre-school and also see some ridiculous names. Kyler, Skyler (boy), Skyla (girl), Zane, Tesla (apparently a rock band?), Hunter, Gunner, Boyd, Mason, Karsun (what's with the spelling??), Dawson (no prizes for guessing where that one came from!), McKenna, Casyn, Kamryn, to name but a few.

Like someone else mentioned, the more 'normal' names seem to be cross-gender too. We know a guy called Tracy, a girl called Kevan (pronounced Kevin), and I still chuckle when I meet a Randy (or Randi) :D

Yes, I noticed that too. I recently went to a kids story time. Most of the kids have these unusual names, one I remember is Cooper - a cooper is a barrell maker?! One lady that my girlfreind knows at playgroup called her son 'Lucky', that's his actual name FFS!! Maybe the dog is called John?!?!?!

DaveC May 12th 2005 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Do you want your kid to not be able to spell his name till he's 5? *lol*

Ah, but with the un-necessary apostrophes, think of the early appreciation of grammar that he'll get! Hopefully he'll end up being able to write more properer than me. ;)

Englishmum May 12th 2005 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by elfman
My Mrs has a friend (American, obviously) from college who has a sister whose first and middle names are (I kid you not) "Windsor" and "Eton".

You've just reminded me that I once dated a chap in England and he was called Romney. His brothers were called Warwick and Lester (hope it wasn't spelt as Leicester LOL!).

My grandmother was called Florence (Florrie).

I sort of quite like the name Adelaide for a girl - don't know who the heck Queen Adelaide was though. I like Siena/Sienna too.

I once saw an application form for a job in Singapore.....and this is the honest truth....the person was Chinese and his first name and surname was:

Ng Ng

and I had a Chinese friend called Swee Yep (surname was Coleman, she was married to a Brit) but she preferred to be called Freda.

MrsG May 12th 2005 12:48 pm

I'm a 'lurker' but couldn't resist replying to this thread. There is a child in my son's 1st Grade class called Stormi Cloud!! I kid you not....

ladyofthelake May 12th 2005 1:16 pm

My DH knows a guy called Lake Ray. I haven't got the names round the wrong way round either, Ray is his surname :rolleyes:

How about these names for kids? Cawley, Trejur, Mallory, Salene, Rusty, J'yah, Lasli and my personal favourite... J'son. Parents who do this (and who all have regular names themselves presumably) need to have their heads tested.

ScyLarc May 12th 2005 1:21 pm

I just discovered 2 guys in my firm who are called Shane Wanker and Randy Day...... what were their parents thinking!!!

Becs May 12th 2005 1:26 pm

I saw a 50 stone kid on Ricki Lake once called D'Aquarius :rolleyes:

-Becs

Hebapotamus42 May 12th 2005 1:38 pm

Have you ever ran through the phone directory for fun? Some pretty weird names there. I was recently looking through the online white pages and came across the name Fancy Dog. :scared:

Elvira May 12th 2005 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I sort of quite like the name Adelaide for a girl - don't know who the heck Queen Adelaide was though.

I can help you out on this one: it's a pub in Putney ;)