Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Move; What Did you Miss?

US Move; What Did you Miss?

Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Move; What Did you Miss?

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm from Oxford, so the summers were sunny, warm and pleasant, the day was long and it wasn't wet, humid or nasty.
Ah - that might explain the discrepancy. I did spend most of my youth in the midlands and Scotland. Having said that I did live in London after that and summer never arrived in 2 of those years.

And - in an ironic twist - between me typing the last post and this one it has started absolutely pissing it down with rain here in Massachusetts and it shows no sign of letting up for the entire weekend
Old Sep 29th 2012, 2:40 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Everything everybody else said and sausage rolls, pork pies, Branston pickle, walking up to the bar to get a drink and paying for it when you get it so you can just get up and leave when you're ready to go, rolling hills, the seaside, clouds racing across the sky, puddles, Sunday lunch at the pub, pubs!, a proper pint, intelligent TV dramas, the way people laugh when they talk, church spires, paths, tea out of a thermos after a wet windy walk, villages, letter boxes in the wall.... better stop now, I'm making myself homesick. Ooo, maltesers and marmite crisps.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 2:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
And - in an ironic twist - between me typing the last post and this one it has started absolutely pissing it down with rain here in Massachusetts and it shows no sign of letting up for the entire weekend
Yeah, this weekends shit. Shame as Marlborough is having a heritage festival and the best bit of it, it's $3 to sample all the chowder and chilli that the restaurants in the area are making as a cook off.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Everything everybody else said and sausage rolls, pork pies, Branston pickle, walking up to the bar to get a drink and paying for it when you get it so you can just get up and leave when you're ready to go, rolling hills, the seaside, clouds racing across the sky, puddles, Sunday lunch at the pub, pubs!, a proper pint, intelligent TV dramas, the way people laugh when they talk, church spires, paths, tea out of a thermos after a wet windy walk, villages, letter boxes in the wall.... better stop now, I'm making myself homesick. Ooo, maltesers and marmite crisps.
Hi newbie
I am not really "missing" anything, but your post is nicely evocative of a previous life. Thanks. Great username too.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

excellent.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and very well said.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Birt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to all

Modern banking
Decent Sunday supplements
Not needing to use your drivers license as a de facto ID card
Old Sep 29th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, this weekends shit. Shame as Marlborough is having a heritage festival and the best bit of it, it's $3 to sample all the chowder and chilli that the restaurants in the area are making as a cook off.
The weather wouldn't stop me, where food is concerned. Get the raincoats and wellies on. Sounds enjoyable despite the weather.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Listening to the radio. I really miss the mix of news, humour, chat and great music that is BBC Radio 2, and the intelligent discussion on BBC Radio 4. Nothing here matches up.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
Listening to the radio. I really miss the mix of news, humour, chat and great music that is BBC Radio 2, and the intelligent discussion on BBC Radio 4. Nothing here matches up.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 5:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Birt Tiddler
Not needing to use your drivers license as a de facto ID card
Miss not having to worry if you have your driving license, insurance and registration with you before you drive somewhere. Miss the "producer" and having 7 days to produce your documents at a police station, and leaving my vehicle documents safely at home.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

yogi16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you get pork pie in the USA?
Old Sep 29th 2012, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
The weather wouldn't stop me, where food is concerned. Get the raincoats and wellies on. Sounds enjoyable despite the weather.
I wouldn't stop me...but the 4 and 1.5 year old might moan up a storm

That and main street is mostly a big hill and I don't fancy carrying the littlest one and a push chair around there is a nightmare.

Anyway, seems like the worst of the weather has been yesterday and today so it might not be quite so bad tomorrow, so we'll probably head over.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by yogi16
Can you get pork pie in the USA?
Yes. Where I am at least. They're Brazilian though.

Nothing like a English pork pie mind.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes. Where I am at least. They're Brazilian though.

Nothing like a English pork pie mind.
Try the English Pork Pie Company in New York. They ship. I hate pork pies. But their beef and onion pies are the best I've ever had over here in the US, and are truly authentic. The only thing stopping me from placing another order is the current lack of space in our freezer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.