Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US mortgage with a UK credit score

US mortgage with a UK credit score

Old Mar 17th 2021, 2:21 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US mortgage with a UK credit score

Th utilities someone posted below below are way off for CT. The mix will really depend on what heating fuel you have between Electric, NG (Gas), LPG and Oil, we have a pretty average size 3 bed 2 bath and have gas heating and hot water and if you haveAC, electric is between $100-250 a month and gas between $60-250 a month, depending on size of house you are probably looking at an average $250-550 a month, our 12 month average s $296. Feb was highest around $350 and June/November lowest around $220.

We have 2 Japanese AWD cars, both were brought new mine is a 7 seater but unusable as such because of kids seats in the middle row, mine is 0% over 6 years at about $420 a month including a 10 year 100k warranty. The wife has the larger Subaru Accent with 3 rows, its a six seater as it has captains chairs so people can get in to the 3rd row. I think hers is maybe 1.9% over 6 years and $450 a month we put down maybe $10k on it.

I don't think you need to waste time interviewing 25 RE agents, they will all be falling over themselves to work with you. The seller pays the 5-6% commission, and seller agent will generally split it 50/50 with your buyers agent, if you don't have one they will keep it all for themselves. We used one who was a relation of a former-worker and friend. Because we had a 1-2h drive out and back she would preview some and then we would come at the weekend and look at 2-3 each time. The biggest thing that helps you save time is if they have a floor-plan in the pictures, you can spot a lot of issues there, with choppy / bad layouts and wasted space.

You can pretty much see all properties on Zillow.com, the RE agent will have their own platform and that can sometimes show a property a few days before it posts on Zillow. It took us nearly 2 years when we were moving out of the city to find and buy a house we could both agree on (and met my criteria on paper) there were others that we offered on, but emotion based buyers were willing to bid higher than the value I calculated for them so we lost them. On that was way overpriced came back 6 months later asking if we were still interested and ended up selling for less than we had offered.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 2:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The entire New England area eats cars. Lots of snow and ice means lots of salt on the roads. Lots of salt = lots of rust. That's just my name for it though

My point is, look very carefully at cars more than a few years old. They might be cheaper, but it's for a reason. Here in GA, it's very very common to see old Civics, Accords and other well built cars on the road (I'k thinking cars that are 10-20 years old) because they are mechanically solid with some maintenance and don't rust. It's warmer, it's less humid, we don't get snow and ice that frequently.

Not so in NE.

I do endorse the earlier suggestion about renting first - at the very least, you have a chance to scout out the area and the schools better than when you're fresh of the boat.
I think the stuff they use these days doesn't devour things the way it did once -- my OH's vehicle is 12 years old, my truck 10 years, and my ragtop 30 (though it stays home in the snow!). They are checked underneath regularly and we aren't about to go through the bottom . . .
Old Mar 17th 2021, 2:47 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I think the stuff they use these days doesn't devour things the way it did once -- my OH's vehicle is 12 years old, my truck 10 years, and my ragtop 30 (though it stays home in the snow!). They are checked underneath regularly and we aren't about to go through the bottom . . .
They also have car washes in CT, so you can go and have the underside washed after a snow/salt event...
Old Mar 17th 2021, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calli
Right, I get it. That does make sense. My husbands boss recommended a Honda people carrier thing but in the UK these giant cars are not common. I struggle as it is in London to park the Skoda in a way that I am able to get kids out of car seats.
Perhaps your husband's boss was referring to the Honda Odyssey. In the USA, you'll find that car park spaces are generally larger than they are in the UK, which means that the space between cars is greater too. Some car parks have dedicated space between each car park space as well, such as the one below:

img]https://i.imgur.com/D2j2Kz1.jpg
Originally Posted by tht
Th utilities someone posted below below are way off for CT. The mix will really depend on what heating fuel you have between Electric, NG (Gas), LPG and Oil, we have a pretty average size 3 bed 2 bath and have gas heating and hot water and if you haveAC, electric is between $100-250 a month and gas between $60-250 a month, depending on size of house you are probably looking at an average $250-550 a month, our 12 month average s $296. Feb was highest around $350 and June/November lowest around $220.
This is a great point. I live in Georgia, which has a much milder climate, so my utility bills will invariably be very different to folks who live in the NE.
Originally Posted by tht
I don't think you need to waste time interviewing 25 RE agents, they will all be falling over themselves to work with you.
We interviewed three, and we chose one of those three. I was specifically looking to work with a realtor who buys and sells a lot of houses every month as they would have basically seen anything and everything that can go wrong with a real estate transaction and know how to deal with it. We had a great experience with our realtor and her office staff.

Last edited by cautiousjon; Mar 17th 2021 at 3:23 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 3:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great point. I live in Georgia, which has a much milder climate

In the spring maybe. When it comes to the summer the AC is cranked 24/7 in the civilservant household
Old Mar 17th 2021, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

In the spring maybe. When it comes to the summer the AC is cranked 24/7 in the civilservant household
Haha, true. We moved to Georgia in late August so we haven't experienced the full brunt of summer yet. I don't like to feel hot, so we'll probably run our a/c 24/7 too.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 3:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

We have oil heating and electric hot water (and just two people using it). Oil deliveries are regular all winter, but none over the summer, so it averages out to $230 per month. Electricity runs between $120 and 140 per month, but we do not use the a/c. Another Fairfield County expense -- snow plowing. We have a big job for the plower, so it runs about $100 per visit; a small job would probably start at around $25 per visit. And many towns don't have garbage pickup, so it is DIY or pay a hauler. (I know that one of the towns the OP is considering, Ridgefield, does not have pickup.)
Old Mar 17th 2021, 5:10 pm
tht

Their initial offer was to pay his UK salary in dollars (which we won’t accept as that’s mad). This works out somewhere between 325 and 375 usd but it’s relatively bonus heavy which I would guess doesn’t help with getting a mortgage. If there wasn’t a pandemic on I don’t think we would struggle but the pandemic has made rents go wild. I’m not sure how long it would actually take to get a visa either so we might not be able to go for ages and things might have calmed down by then. They will would pay for speedy processing (or whatever it’s called!) but I would guess it’s still a 6 month process?

Medical is covered in full - l don’t fully understand it but it’s a scheme that covers everything (Aetna) and then just in case something isn’t covered there is a secondary insurance that will cover it. US colleagues have said they have never had to pay anything towards anything medical. In the UK they pay for really really good medical (literally everything is covered, any hospital in the world, even our newspapers in hospital) but we pay through the nose in taxes for it, this year we paid a £4,500 tax bill for the insurance and we are all young and healthy. I understand that medical insurance is not taxed as a benefit-in-kind in the US so this would be good for us.

They’ve not mentioned holidays. Currently 25, I think the US is 20 plus 2 personal days. Not too different but we could probably quibble on it. But they will pay flights home each year. This is very much pitched as a “permanent move” not an expat stint. There is no end date and there is no parachute clause which is a big concern.

I work in the UK (actually as a civil servant, I noticed your handle ) but I think I would need to take some time off to settle the kids into school and the new country. I’m also not sure what kind of work there would be for someone like me, I’m fairly institutionalised now 😜 my salary is pretty small in comparison to my husband so the hit won’t be massive (especially considering childcare costs for 3 kids).
For what I assume is finance / tech that seems like a pretty normal comp range.

CV19 aside an L1a can be filled premium, if the form has done them before and has all the company related paperwork and good lawyers you could get one done in a month or 2 if you pushed it (the long pole is often getting all the paperwork together). As an aside a EB1c Green card can be applied for totally independent of the L1a, so they could file the I140 at the same time as the L1a and no need to wait till you are here.

It will take you months to get an EAD and be able to work as an L2. One of the benefits of the US tax system is "joint filing" so you get a combined allowance so not working actually pays better than the cost of childcare in some cases.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Calli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
For what I assume is finance / tech that seems like a pretty normal comp range.

CV19 aside an L1a can be filled premium, if the form has done them before and has all the company related paperwork and good lawyers you could get one done in a month or 2 if you pushed it (the long pole is often getting all the paperwork together). As an aside a EB1c Green card can be applied for totally independent of the L1a, so they could file the I140 at the same time as the L1a and no need to wait till you are here.

It will take you months to get an EAD and be able to work as an L2. One of the benefits of the US tax system is "joint filing" so you get a combined allowance so not working actually pays better than the cost of childcare in some cases.
ahh that’s super helpful to know about the green card. Yes it’s finance/tech. They have an expensive lawyer who should be able to jump some hurdles, I know some employers worry that people will leave once they get the green card but he is not remotely interested in doing that. If he wanted to switch companies he would do that in the UK
Old Mar 17th 2021, 5:33 pm
tht

ahh that’s super helpful to know about the green card. Yes it’s finance/tech. They have an expensive lawyer who should be able to jump some hurdles, I know some employers worry that people will leave once they get the green card but he is not remotely interested in doing that. If he wanted to switch companies he would do that in the UK
The area I would focus on is the “parachute” it’s not like the UK, no redundancy process or pay is required, and until you get a green card you can only work for the sponsoring employer... so if they decided to terminate him at will (can be for no reason, and in some cases same day...) you could have a lot of things to pay for in the US and no legal right to remain here beyond a week or 2. Also note that while all the things like flights home are nice, there is a good chance they are taxable...