Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Mobile/Cell Phone

US Mobile/Cell Phone

Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:21 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Mobile/Cell Phone

I just received and (eventually) activated my T-mobile prepaid sim card yesterday. T-Mobile seem to suffer from a recurring mailroom problem: their activation kits often don't include the activation CODE required to activate the sim card. A quick google search reveals hundreds of people who have not received this information yet T-Mobile sounded very surprised to hear of my lack of an activation code.

After various customer call center shenanigans I was able to get the phone activated last night. (If you do it over the phone be sure to confirm with the agent what town you are trying to activate it for - they first assigned me a long-distance Oregon number and I had to call back and make them change it.) I also topped up with the $100 year-long service, and from what I can tell from the online description of my new "gold status", any further topups that I do, even $10, will also come with a year of airtime activation.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:23 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have tracfone and can Text UK no problem, however Ds has tracfone (different model phone) and can't text UK Ours are supposed to call UK but neither phone will, I even called to get it sorted they said my phone can call internationally, but still no joy.
I may give T Mobile a try when the phones need replacing.
A phone card may be your best bet, I got a $30 AT&T one from Target last year and it's still got $15 on it, never expires. Also the little audio advertisement they do at the start of the call says the $30 cards are now on sale for $20. (I found this out when I had to use my own calling card to test the apparently-long-distance number on my cell phone, as our land line is local calling only.)
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

I use AT&T - we have a family plan for $90 per month (2 phones) and we had to put a security deposit down of $150 for each phone.

We get 700 minutes - although over here incoming calls count to your allowance - with automatic roll-over of unused minutes.

Sure ain't cheap from a cell phone perspective over here!