Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US military personnel banned from travel to London

US military personnel banned from travel to London

Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:58 am
ImHere

Default Re: US military personnel banned from travel to London

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Ah, I should have thought of that. Makes sense.
Yeah. The daft thing was though we had to carry our leave kit in our kit bags. So there we were sat on trains in jeans and jumpers with a bloody great Kharki kit bag with "MOD PROPERTY" stamped all over it. Of course, we did also have our service pistol stuffed down our troos on occasion depending where we were going.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:59 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
LOL nooooooooooo that was the opposition
Para eh?

Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:00 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
sorry was discussing women in TV Adverts with Webbie in the football thread.
Ahhhh read that one, you've got a soft spot for the 'O' girl, she's cute in some outfits but not others....strange that!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:01 am
ImHere

Ahhhh read that one, you've got a soft spot for the 'O' girl, she's cute in some outfits but not others....strange that!
Nice in the tennis kit and with her hair down at the end. DOnt care much for the serious business suit look though.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:01 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the one where she's wearing nowt but a big O necklace that wins it for me.

sorry, do carry on.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:02 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Para eh?
Why the F would I want to jump out of a plane why it's still flying?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:02 am

Nice in the tennis kit and with her hair down at the end. DOnt care much for the serious business suit look though.
Naa don't like the tennis kit, too stuck up
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:03 am
ImHere

Why the F would I want to jump out of a plane why it's still flying?

Dunno. Most of the paras I knew couldnt even work out that it was a daft idea. But, hey! They kept me in a job patching the stupid buggers up again.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:04 am

Dunno. Most of the paras I knew couldnt even work out that it was a daft idea. But, hey! They kept me in a job patching the stupid buggers up again.
spent a very pleasant night with a QARNC once in woolwich
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:06 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by sibsie
I grew up in London so had a very realistic view of terrorism. I was previously engaged to a US Navy pilot who was based at The Pentagon. It amazed me that he'd travel all round the city in uniform. I asked him about the security aspect at the time and he said it never crossed his mind. This was pre 9/11 but as far as I can tell, nothing's changed.
The "tube" here (DC) carries loads of male and female military personnel in uniform (not the combat variety), office version. DC has several military bases - Fort Meyer is just down the road from where I live (in Arlington, home to the Pentagon and DC airport, also the HQ of the National Guard, and (with Alexandria) home to some 4 million square feet of additional Pentagon office space (the Pentagon outgrew the Pentagon ages ago). That 4 million square feet is moving further into Virginia (new Federal law that calls for truck bomb proof Pentagon Office space), some of it is moving into a huge base Belvoir I think, and some might move into the Marine/FBI training base Quantico (spelling might be off), about 25 to 30 miles south west of DC. The office space would move further out, but the Pentagon has to be mindful of its civilian staff, many of whom live in Maryland and are going to be severely inconvenienced by the traffic congested I-395/495.

If you travel around the Pentagon now (I mean drive around it), there have been many new defense additions. If you drive around the Pentagon with a light out on your car (as one of my friends found out), your car will be stopped, it's hard to see where the cops are, but they are there and always watching. I can't see any plane bringing its work to a standstill, it is a five sided/five ringed fortress with new stuff built around it. One tough hombre.

Last edited by Franklin; Jul 12th 2005 at 4:12 am.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:11 am
ImHere

spent a very pleasant night with a QARNC once in woolwich
Oh yes our lovely nurses...many a 3 ton truck rocked on a saturday night outside the Queen Alex.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:16 am

Oh yes our lovely nurses...many a 3 ton truck rocked on a saturday night outside the Queen Alex.
She came from Oswestry, which I'd never heard of before, at the time it was the closest to Wales I'd come
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:21 am
ImHere

She came from Oswestry, which I'd never heard of before, at the time it was the closest to Wales I'd come
Interesting phraseology

As long as you didnt spend a lovely night with a treetrunk at Colchester Glasshouse

Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:23 am

Interesting phraseology

As long as you didnt spend a lovely night with a treetrunk at Colchester Glasshouse
LMAO
Been there as well............not on official business
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...so the MOD banned all brit military personel from wearing uniform off duty and off camp. It still stands today I believe.
Not anymore, they ditched that a few years back, but they still recommend that uniform isn't worn off base etc....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.