Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare impressions

US Healthcare impressions

Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Healthcare impressions

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- s/he needs confining to BE's Youth Club forum, where I believe they discuss Bieber in text-speak format.
Exile to the Youth Club Forum...or
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Exile to the Youth Club Forum...or
Youth Club -- s/he might make friends with someone from another country or culture. It'll be good for them.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Youth Club -- s/he might make friends with someone from another country or culture. It'll be good for them.
Good idea.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:27 pm
Banned

dogloverus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
What a stupid thing to boast about. You really are a silly little kid aren't you..
You talk as if it is not being done already
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogloverus
My friend works for the BMA and he said more doctors than ever are leaving the UK to come and work in the USA. Given that the hourly pay rate for nurses as described above is 3x higher here and similar disparities in pay for doctors also that is not surprising. Average pay for a GP in the US ($200k) mdsalaries.blogspot.com
Given that the qualifications don't directly transfer and a level of retraining is required to get certified in the US, that's probably not true anymore, especially given cost of visas.

Salary of a GP in the UK also isn't shit either.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You talk as if it is not being done already
You talking like a idiot? We've all already made that conclusion, you keep hammering it home with each post.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Linda44
The bold part-I don't think so -Lol

Why don't you have insurance?
Do the rest of your family?
How did you get to the US from the UK?
First of all why would you find it LOL (laughable) when someone is diagnosed with cancer and a good doc offered his services...exams, tests and surgery expertise without charge? Rude, much?!
Secondly....what are you?....the bloody Inquisition?!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:02 pm
Banned

ukphys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Given that the qualifications don't directly transfer and a level of retraining is required to get certified in the US, that's probably not true anymore, especially given cost of visas.

Salary of a GP in the UK also isn't shit either.

All doctors have to do the USMLE regardless of where they qualified even US grads so it is even footing. even US citizens have to do it. All doctors have to do residency also. The qualifications transfer as long as you done the USMLE.

Re: visa the H1-B for residencies is cap exempt. Depends on the program who will pay for it though.

Am going through the process so have a fair idea.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law is a PCP its no wonder when he encounters people like yrself that he takes great pleasure in inflating your bill with unnecessary tests and procedures.
I think I'm done with this particular member.

As for the primary thread topic - I believe it's an important and relevant one for all thinking about moving to the US - or back to the UK, so let's keep it going.

I understand (I could be wrong) that for some, if not many/all GPs, the money they receive from the government is not just to cover their salaries, but also the salaries of the practice staff etc etc... in which case the charge of GPs in the UK being well off and milking the system rings perhaps a little hollow...

(a) is this true
(b) if it is, how might this affect the level & standard of care given in the UK, and
(c) how does this compare with the typical US situation?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

If he is over the age of 60 why hasnt Medicare kicked in? If things so bad could always fly back to the UK as one of the other posters on here suggested happened.
O! What crap! I'm now 65 yrs old and evidently you know jack-sh*t about Medicare in America. Medicare does not kick in until you are 65 yrs old. The only way you can get Medicare earlier is being disabled....of which, thankfully, I am not! And NO...I have no desire to go back to the UK to get which should be available/affordable to ALL people in America, no matter their age or employment status....Healthcare. And of course a system (Medicare) that I will fully utilize, that I contributed to, since it's inception in 1967.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:24 pm
Banned

ukphys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I think I'm done with this particular member.

As for the primary thread topic - I believe it's an important and relevant one for all thinking about moving to the US - or back to the UK, so let's keep it going.

I understand (I could be wrong) that for some, if not many/all GPs, the money they receive from the government is not just to cover their salaries, but also the salaries of the practice staff etc etc... in which case the charge of GPs in the UK being well off and milking the system rings perhaps a little hollow...

(a) is this true
(b) if it is, how might this affect the level & standard of care given in the UK, and
(c) how does this compare with the typical US situation?

I spent 4 months doing short GP rotation in a practice in the UK. Income is a complicated thing. You get salaried GPs and partners. They say partners make more but they have to pay staff costs.

A salaried GP average pay £65k which aint brilliant consider the years of training. Certainly pay for docs in the US is more.

GPs in the UK work damn hard ones I saw would start at 7am and not leave till gone 8pm. Not the impression the press give but what do they know? No idea how it affected care but ones I saw were dedicated.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ukphys
All doctors have to do the USMLE regardless of where they qualified even US grads so it is even footing. even US citizens have to do it. All doctors have to do residency also. The qualifications transfer as long as you done the USMLE.
Aye, the point being, someone who has been a doctor in a NHS hospital for years, or even a GP for years can't just come to the US and be qualified based on just their UK training and experience alone.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The trolls have left the room.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The trolls have left the room.
And may gawd have mercy on their souls.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

And may gawd have mercy on their souls.
Amen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.