Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US health insurance

US health insurance

Old Aug 11th 2021, 3:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US health insurance

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I presume your current plan is an ACA-compliant plan? To have 'only' $3,000 'max out of pocket' is extremely 'good'!; my max OOP is $8,550 (I just looked it up - I thought it was much higher!). So I presume your plan is a silver or gold ACA plan with that 'low' level of OOP (mine is 'bronze'). My premium is circa $800/mo; premiums are age-adjusted, and I'm getting close to the worst-possible age for such plans (over 60). If you are considerably younger than me, your premium would go down a lot, but they your premium would go up because of the silver/gold choice, and ... if you are covering hubby then that increases it further.

My $800/mo premium is currently subsidized, assuming I make less than $50k/year, to around $350/mo. If I end up making more than $50k, I'll have to pay back the subsidy, and if I make considerably LESS than $50k, I may get more subsidy retroactively.

Yes, it's a "good" plan as these things go. But very expensive. It's not an ACA plan at all, it's a privately-organised group plan by my former employer for long-term former employees who are fully vested in their private retirement plan but are not yet of retirement age, so essentially it's like getting the same plan that I was getting when I worked for them, but paying the full whack, like Cobra. I looked at the ACA plans available and could not do better - in fact I could only do worse, an equally high premium for less coverage and a higher out of pocket. That 3k OOP is each, btw, not just for me. So there's no more cost this year for the OH, who incurred the 3k charge, but should I need anything I will also be charged up to 3k.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 11th 2021 at 3:53 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yes, it's a "good" plan as these things go. But very expensive. It's not an ACA plan at all, it's a privately-organised group plan by my former employer for long-term former employees who are fully vested in their private retirement plan but are not yet of retirement age, so essentially it's like getting the same plan that I was getting when I worked for them, but paying the full whack, like Cobra. I looked at the ACA plans available and could not do better - in fact I could only do worse, an equally high premium for less coverage and a higher out of pocket. That 3k OOP is each, btw, not just for me. So there's no more cost this year for the OH, who incurred the 3k charge, but should I need anything I will also be charged up to 3k.
Wow, I've never heard of such an arrangement, but glad you were able to get it! When you say 'like Cobra', did it differ in any way - were you also eligible for Cobra, and rejected it due to this 'other' plan being available? Perhaps your plan lasts longer than the 'time-limited' Cobra arrangement? I presume it's only good as long as your company stays in business ... so you have to hope they don't go away! I presume it is 'ACA compliant'.

As for OOP, mine is $8,550 for me, $17,100 for 'family'! My deductible is $5,500 for me, $11,000 for family.

Last year, I 'rolled the dice' and took a non-ACA compliant plan. It had a $1M lifetime cap, and excluded any pre-existing conditions (both things that were outlawed by ACA, but re-admitted under-the-radar by Trump). Since I had no pre-existing conditions, I decided to give it a go. The premium was quite a bit less, and the deductibles and OOP were lower. But I never felt comfortable with it (risk-wise), and this year switched back to ACA-compliant. I don't know if Biden administration is going to allow those non-ACA compliant plans to continue. Technically, they were called 'short term' policies and only lasted 3 months. Their stated 'intent' was to act as stop-gap policies, but - they also had a 'scheme' where you could bundle 4 3-month policies together in a weird way, and treat it as a regular policy ... almost.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 10:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I've never heard of such an arrangement, but glad you were able to get it! When you say 'like Cobra', did it differ in any way - were you also eligible for Cobra, and rejected it due to this 'other' plan being available? Perhaps your plan lasts longer than the 'time-limited' Cobra arrangement? I presume it's only good as long as your company stays in business ... so you have to hope they don't go away! I presume it is 'ACA compliant'.

As for OOP, mine is $8,550 for me, $17,100 for 'family'! My deductible is $5,500 for me, $11,000 for family.

Last year, I 'rolled the dice' and took a non-ACA compliant plan. It had a $1M lifetime cap, and excluded any pre-existing conditions (both things that were outlawed by ACA, but re-admitted under-the-radar by Trump). Since I had no pre-existing conditions, I decided to give it a go. The premium was quite a bit less, and the deductibles and OOP were lower. But I never felt comfortable with it (risk-wise), and this year switched back to ACA-compliant. I don't know if Biden administration is going to allow those non-ACA compliant plans to continue. Technically, they were called 'short term' policies and only lasted 3 months. Their stated 'intent' was to act as stop-gap policies, but - they also had a 'scheme' where you could bundle 4 3-month policies together in a weird way, and treat it as a regular policy ... almost.
It's a large, old, national charity with an established plan that is offered by its own retirement fund as a benefit (also established a long time ago). The plan is the exact same plan I had as an employee, but I now pay the full premium, unsubsidized by them, which is what I meant by "same as Cobra". There are some smallish co-pays, plan pays 80% of everything until I hit that max out of pocket, then it pays 100%. No deductibles, just the OOP. Had I not been eligible for this plan, I could have taken Cobra but it would have been the same plan at the same price, and I can stay on the charity's own plan until I reach US federal retirement age. Planning to go back to the UK in 22, so hopefully that won't be necessary. They've been around a very long time, and if covid didn't finish them then I think I'm good for another year! I wouldn't be able to manage it for longer I don't think, but with so little time left to go needing it, and with an OH who I knew would have to make full use of it this year (a planned, necessary procedure) it made sense.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 10:24 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

It's a large, old, national charity with an established plan that is offered by its own retirement fund as a benefit (also established a long time ago). The plan is the exact same plan I had as an employee, but I now pay the full premium, unsubsidized by them, which is what I meant by "same as Cobra". There are some smallish co-pays, plan pays 80% of everything until I hit that max out of pocket, then it pays 100%. No deductibles, just the OOP. Had I not been eligible for this plan, I could have taken Cobra but it would have been the same plan at the same price, and I can stay on the charity's own plan until I reach US federal retirement age. Planning to go back to the UK in 22, so hopefully that won't be necessary. They've been around a very long time, and if covid didn't finish them then I think I'm good for another year! I wouldn't be able to manage it for longer I don't think, but with so little time left to go needing it, and with an OH who I knew would have to make full use of it this year (a planned, necessary procedure) it made sense.
not to split straws, but COBRA includes a 2% markup to pay for administration.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by tht
Well there you go. I've saved myself 2%
Old Aug 12th 2021, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Well there you go. I've saved myself 2%
Party at LIW's house!
Old Aug 12th 2021, 12:38 am

Party at LIW's house!

Can I offer you a glass of cooking sherry?
Old Aug 12th 2021, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
And this year, thanks to the American Recovery Act, you get six months free COBRA, paid for in full by your ex-employer:

https://www.littler.com/publication-...-cobra-subsidy
Old Aug 12th 2021, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
And this year, thanks to the American Recovery Act, you get six months free COBRA, paid for in full by your ex-employer:

From my quick reading of that article, the employee (ex-employee) gets six free months of COBRA, but it's actually paid for by the government, 'through' the employer, in the form of a subsidy, right?
Old Aug 12th 2021, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Too late for me. I was booted over a year ago. And I wouldn't have been able to pick up the plan I have now, either, at that point. It was a rollover.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 1:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Too late for me. I was booted over a year ago. And I wouldn't have been able to pick up the plan I have now, either, at that point. It was a rollover.
Sounds like you made the best decision from what was available at the time, quite a feat on its own. Here, have a large sherry on me

Old Aug 12th 2021, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

From my quick reading of that article, the employee (ex-employee) gets six free months of COBRA, but it's actually paid for by the government, 'through' the employer, in the form of a subsidy, right?
Yes, I believe that's correct. Not sure who ends up paying that possible 3% administrative fee but obviously that's a small part of the puzzle. I was on COBRA last year until I was eligible for Medicare; had this provision existed then it would have saved me $$$. Thanks, Trump !
Old Aug 12th 2021, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

How much was the bill?
The marketing blurb from the Medicare Advantage Plan offered a $50 gift card for completing a colonoscopy. Instead of this, we received a bill for $275. Well, when I say "we", I mean wife as I am too much of a coward to volunteer for a colonoscopy.
Apparently the colonoscopist snipped a couple of polyps while traversing this avenue, which changed the billing code. But to be fair, we received a comprehensive report with a series of pictures in full technicolor detailing the exploration and operational measures undertaken in this labyrinth. This is perhaps superior to NHS service, I have no personal experience.

Old Aug 12th 2021, 4:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
The marketing blurb from the Medicare Advantage Plan offered a $50 gift card for completing a colonoscopy. Instead of this, we received a bill for $275. Well, when I say "we", I mean wife as I am too much of a coward to volunteer for a colonoscopy.
Apparently the colonoscopist snipped a couple of polyps while traversing this avenue, which changed the billing code. But to be fair, we received a comprehensive report with a series of pictures in full technicolor detailing the exploration and operational measures undertaken in this labyrinth. This is perhaps superior to NHS service, I have no personal experience.
My husband had a colonoscopy in the UK (England) about 3 years ago. No pretty pictures (not that he wanted any!), but of course a full report sent to his GP. The thing he didn't like about having the procedure in the UK is he wasn't sedated so it was very uncomfortable. They knock you out in Oz, probably the US as well?
Old Aug 12th 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband had a colonoscopy in the UK (England) about 3 years ago. No pretty pictures (not that he wanted any!), but of course a full report sent to his GP. The thing he didn't like about having the procedure in the UK is he wasn't sedated so it was very uncomfortable. They knock you out in Oz, probably the US as well?

Haven't done it yet myself, but yes, full sedation. Not unconscious, since they want you to be able to respond to instructions, but so sedated that you don't remember the procedure afterwards.

Which is weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.