Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The US economy

Wikiposts

The US economy

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The US economy

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Realistic starting pay for an ME undergrad with no experience about $40-45k
With 10 yrs exp, in my area between $50-60k - staff jobs.

Not salaryforcast dot com or any of those others, cuz they are rubbish.

Considering 80% of Engineering work requires common sense and your basic understanding, I question the real value of "Ivy League" education. Its nice for the high flyers, but for the average ME, its eventually experience that matters and not your alma mater. A mentor of mine told me "you have to do your time in the trenches" - it seems too many engineers want the big bucks and those jobs are getting fewer and fewer.
Tend to agree with your comments. I started off my apprenticeship as a 'Fitter' was up-graded to 'Toolmaker Apprentice" I was then fortunate enough to be offered a Jig &Tool/ Machine Tool Designer opportunity. The amount of people I met in my life time who were outstanding academically and likewise with their hands was about 5. A degree does not make a craftsman. Where they get that thinking from beats the hell out of me.
My basic craft skills were essential in my being a designer. By the way I do not have a degree and even if I did I would not have put myself amongst the 5.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
IWow, you must be the last person in the US to believe that John Kerry has his hand on the lever of power - not even John Kerry believes that now!
He's not a billionaire anyway - Teresa got him to sign a nice pre-nup.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:03 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Tend to agree with your comments. I started off my apprenticeship as a 'Fitter' was up-graded to 'Toolmaker Apprentice" I was then fortunate enough to become a Jig &Tool/ Machine Tool Designer. The amount of people I met in my life time who were outstanding academically and likewise with their hands was about 5. A degree does not make a craftsman. Where they get that thinking from beats the hell out of me.My basic craft skills were essential in my being a designer. By the way I do not have a degree and even if I did I would not have put myself amongst the 5.
As you know, the traditional apprenticeship has all but ceased to exist in the field we are in, which also has depleted many hands-on skills. I effectively put myself thru a 10 year apprenticeship via my choices of jobs and doing night school concurrently.
Certainly, potential employers demand "jacks of all trades" more and more, it seems, I'm mid-career now and have a few cards to play, yet do find this job market to be very difficult to please.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:05 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'm an engineer.

Read this:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/03/03/engineers

The beginning of the article is about the head of the electrical engineering department at UC Berkeley, one of the finest EE departments in the country and arguably the best public school program, having to *reassure* parents and students who've been admitted into the program that there will be a job for them when they graduate. And anyone admitted to UC-B has impeccable credentials and outstanding math and science ability. These kids used to walk out of school and into a great job, and now -- they wonder if there will be *any* jobs for them.
You made your analogy re Boeing. Anyone who knows the industry now knows that Boeing is going into the largest production phase EVER in their history and are hiring production line people. They have just hired loads of engineers in a 2 year hiring phase (they still may be).

They are trying not too hire too many as they want to get out of the hire and fire cycle in the past. But some are accusing of them of being too slow (Airbus is expanding their production line faster)

I wasn't saying anything about the decline in schools and engineers just addressing/clarifying your comments on Boeing.
The 777 is a relatively new plane the new 'dreamliner' has just been designed and built (and seeing the team who 'designed' and built it) a lot of them looked pretty young to me!
I realise there is a national feeling of what to be done addressing schools re math etc decline and I know Boeing is trying as well.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:29 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
good luck trying to time that one
I work in home lending finance.....I'm going to give it about 18-24 months on current market trends
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:01 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

whopeedoo!! we may get $600 per person blah, blah

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/...lus/index.html

Bush's 'economic stimulus package' ought to include OBL on a plate to the US public!
(which is sorta one of my predictions for '08)
Similarly, just as he was starting to get in hot water re his election - Heeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrreeeeesssssss Saddam!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:41 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpltony
I work in home lending finance.....I'm going to give it about 18-24 months on current market trends
interesting - what do you do for the company? are you in treasuries/underwriting/IT?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:59 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

interesting - what do you do for the company? are you in treasuries/underwriting/IT?
Treasuries
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

/Rant on
I must be the only one who thinks this whole tax rebate thing is a total sham. What this country needs is decent investment in infrasctucture. Things are falling down and crumbling away due to lack of investment in basic infrastructure. Instead of giving each family a relatively small amount of money that will only go to buy yet more crap that no one really needs, and which will grow the national debt by another $150,000,000,000 (most of which will go straight onto the trade deficit if people do buy their TV's, shoes etc) it would be much more prudent to repair bridges, build classrooms, buy books and invest in research for alternative energy forms (to name a few examples) whilst generating job here in the US.
Of course none of this would generate an immediate wet, warm, comforting feeling that blowing money on crap has so it has no chance of happening.
/Rant off
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:16 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Of course none of this would generate an immediate wet, warm, comforting feeling that blowing money on crap has so it has no chance of happening.
Tim for Pres! Absolutely right.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

So the current stock market woes were caused by the French: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7208439.stm

I told you, you just can't trust them Frenchies.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:34 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm

1. Billionaires make up 0.001% of the population so this is a silly point
2. I agree, but not sure about the Keryr bashing, i don;t like him personally but this is 2008 not 2004...
3. Yep
4. Not always true, many illegals have TIN's
5. OK, I'll go with it
6. Hmm, not sure how the three you mentioned have the level of clout you imply, Cheney with Haliburton may have been a better example. Still not sure about the Kerry bashing...
I'd join in any Kerry bashing just for the hell of it....
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:49 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
/Rant on
I must be the only one who thinks this whole tax rebate thing is a total sham. What this country needs is decent investment in infrasctucture. Things are falling down and crumbling away due to lack of investment in basic infrastructure. Instead of giving each family a relatively small amount of money that will only go to buy yet more crap that no one really needs, and which will grow the national debt by another $150,000,000,000 (most of which will go straight onto the trade deficit if people do buy their TV's, shoes etc) it would be much more prudent to repair bridges, build classrooms, buy books and invest in research for alternative energy forms (to name a few examples) whilst generating job here in the US.
/Rant off
Everything seems to be so short sighted here. I remember a couple of weeks ago one of the republican candidates talking about reviving the auto industry (sorry, can't remember who), and how targets for fuel efficiency etc would have to be revisited as that's what has caused a lot of the problems. I couldn't help thinking how pointless that was, surely you can't revive the industry by letting other countries auto manufacturers get way ahead on this - you need to invest to become a market leader, not drag your heels behind the rest of the market.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The British ruled the World while the natives had only sharpened pineapples for weapons (Blackadder) - then we had to admit we couldn't hack it any more. America is getting outpaced by leaner and fitter countries. It is resting on its laurels too much instead of trying to innovate and be truly competitive.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:06 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The British ruled the World while the natives had only sharpened pineapples for weapons (Blackadder) - then we had to admit we couldn't hack it any more. America is getting outpaced by leaner and fitter countries. It is resting on its laurels too much instead of trying to innovate and be truly competitive.
I believe it was Stalin that said,

Germany will militarize itself out of existence.

Britain will expand itself out of existence.

America will spend itself out of existence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.