Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The US economy

Wikiposts

The US economy

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:08 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all
Default Re: The US economy

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
We in the UK are led to believe that all Americans are born optimists - I would guess that that is one of the most admirable qualities they have has a nation. That is one of the main reasons why I have this desire to move over there sometime in the future....at least for a short term, but who knows. It looks a bit of a long shot at the minute, but I'm trying to be optimistic - not easy for the average Brit! I think the average Brit is more likely to look on the gloomy side of prospects while it seems that Americans generally look for all the positives and ignore any downsides. I like that. Reading through history we can see that no recessions last for ever, however bad at any given time - there are always sunny skies just below the horizon.
While the stock market is down, the DOW is still around the same it was about 12-24 months ago. (11,000 - 12,000 I believe)
I'm not worried as my investments are in for the long haul.
But of course the way some of the media portray it.....its easy to get worried.
Give it time and the market will reallign itself.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at it this way, with stocks falling, now is a prime time to buy (assuming you have the disposable cash). I'm glad there are other economists saying that a tax refund will not stimulate anything. We, for example, would take any tax refund and apply it directly to debt. And I would bet most families would do something similar. Tbh, I hope Americans are finally learning that we don't need half the shit we are buying and will actually attempt to save money and pay off debt.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jan 22nd 2008 at 1:35 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Graxley will become famous soon enoughGraxley will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Tarkak9;5821881]

Rates are going to be cut at the next meeting... .5 point is believed, .75 pnt is rumoured but I don't think its going be so. I am going to go with an assumption that rates will continue to be cut through out the year because its the only thing they can just about do.

Interest rates have been cut .75pnt before the opening bell! It seems the panic button has been pushed...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:06 am
Just Joined

jason1308 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are hoping to be moving to one of the Northern states, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois or Ohio, and beleive that they are suffering more than some of the other states. Does anyone know how they are going to try and kickstart these states as they were built on the back of Heavy industry.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:45 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Graxley;5823701]
Originally Posted by Tarkak9

Rates are going to be cut at the next meeting... .5 point is believed, .75 pnt is rumoured but I don't think its going be so. I am going to go with an assumption that rates will continue to be cut through out the year because its the only thing they can just about do.

Interest rates have been cut .75pnt before the opening bell! It seems the panic button has been pushed...
Bernanke FTW!

That just saved me a bundle on my $130k HELOC and my business line of credit
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:00 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BritGuyTN;5823835]
Originally Posted by Graxley

Bernanke FTW!

That just saved me a bundle on my $130k HELOC and my business line of credit
Yeah, but loses me money on my savings interest rate at a time when I'm also going to be losing on my investment related savings (although those are in for the long haul so I don't care so much about that).
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:13 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Yeah, but loses me money on my savings interest rate at a time when I'm also going to be losing on my investment related savings (although those are in for the long haul so I don't care so much about that).
Has anyone thought about what they'd do if the tish hits the fan and the US slumps big time? What if you lost your job and couldn't walk into another?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:19 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Has anyone thought about what they'd do if the tish hits the fan and the US slumps big time? What if you lost your job and couldn't walk into another?
I don't think it will be that bad. I think we are all victims of an economy that has been in neglect by the White House administration. I think once we have a change in the White House, there will be a renewed effort to get our economy back on track. The same thing happened when the elder Bush left office. The economy was in a recession recovering from one of the worst losses in 1987. I don't think we've even hit bottom like that so I'm optimistic about our recovery.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Graxley will become famous soon enoughGraxley will become famous soon enough

If that happens the UK will probably be in the same position so going back will not be the answer. I also think the dollar and the pound have had their day and the Euro will emerge as the leading currency.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:28 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I don't think it will be that bad. I think we are all victims of an economy that has been in neglect by the White House administration. I think once we have a change in the White House, there will be a renewed effort to get our economy back on track. The same thing happened when the elder Bush left office. The economy was in a recession recovering from one of the worst losses in 1987. I don't think we've even hit bottom like that so I'm optimistic about our recovery.
Having been through the twatcher years I just hope it doesn't get that bad
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:44 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I don't think it will be that bad. I'm optimistic about our recovery.
damn americans with their optimism

i remember coming here in 2003 when the place was still suffering from the fallout of the 2001 dot com crash

NOT NICE TO BE IN SALES

half my wifes friends were unemployed or underemployed
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:56 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Having been through the twatcher years I just hope it doesn't get that bad
For now it's going to be but with our weak dollar it puts us in strong position for foreign investment. That's one thing that makes our economy attractive for the moment. That will definitely be a catalyst for us getting back into the swing of things.

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
damn americans with their optimism

i remember coming here in 2003 when the place was still suffering from the fallout of the 2001 dot com crash

NOT NICE TO BE IN SALES

half my wifes friends were unemployed or underemployed
Teehehehe....gotta love being optimistic. It really keeps one happy and healthy.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I predict doom and gloom.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7202645.stm
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:07 am
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by nethead
Post #3?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:14 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Doomed, we're all doomed, laddie!
Originally Posted by jason1308
We are hoping to be moving to one of the Northern states, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois or Ohio, and beleive that they are suffering more than some of the other states. Does anyone know how they are going to try and kickstart these states as they were built on the back of Heavy industry.
Off the cuff and as an amateur not based in those states: what can "they" do? They're all privately owned companies with labor costs far higher than any overseas competitor, productivity isn't great, quality isn't actually that great. McCain's election stump speech is more or less "whoever [i.e. Romney] is telling you that these jobs are coming back is a liar". Michigan in particular is in a really bad position right now afaics. Tax refunds for the rich won't do much, and even interest rate cuts won't (well, shouldn't) stimulate *consumer* spending.

OTOH, those are trends for states as a whole - maybe you'll be able to find a job in a growing company or industry (they still exist!) and will be fine. A company with exportable knowledge or products is going to be better off than a company producing non-essential tat for domestic consumption, I would have thought...

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Jan 22nd 2008 at 3:16 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.