Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The US economy

Wikiposts

The US economy

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:28 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The US economy

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Can't the government just print a billion dollars for each of us?
Americans are more likely to take a do-it-yourself, hands-on approach. Which is why I've invested in a color copier.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:41 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The housing stuff has been predictable since at least '05, imo, the degree of spillover into the rest of the economy less so.
I've been predicting this since 2004, it just took longer than I expected. (I tend to do well with predicting trends, but not so well with timing...)

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Anyway, if you follow the economic models the behavior follows what each government organization is doing. It may not be a strict observance of the theories but it comes pretty close in what they want to achieve. One won't cut rates while the other will. That's where I based my reply.
The Fed still prioritizes managing inflation above all else, which is where monetarist theory comes in. I see your point about rate cuts, as they are associated with Keynesian economics, but I don't see the Fed operating under Keynesian principles on the whole.

Assuming that the Fed operates as monetarists, inflation is the main worry. So the rate cuts are fairly ominous, in that the Fed is signaling with such a steep cut that inflation is not only not a worry, but recession is. (Under ordinary circumstances, such a steep cut would be inherently inflationary.)

Again, this could backfire. If the rate cuts actually work, that means that the US just lowered its investment returns to those with the capital to invest, which makes the US even less attractive to investors than it was before the rate cuts. There is no shortage of borrowers at the old rates, the problem has been with the lack of lenders and investors, and I don't see them encouraged to put more into the market if their returns were just cut.

Personally, though, I think that investors will just increase their spreads (as they have been already), and net interest rates for most borrowing won't change all that much. But it will put a damper on the interest earned by your bank account.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:48 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The current stimulus package on the table is definitely a bandage but it will personally make me feel better about my fiscal future as I finally get rid of the only credit card I have, that's if the current rate of $1,600 rebate will be issued in the future.
But paying off credit card debt won't stimulate the economy - it's your duty as an American (consumer) to go out and buy some more crap you don't need and put it on your flexible friend!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:54 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I've been predicting this since 2004, it just took longer than I expected. (I tend to do well with predicting trends, but not so well with timing...)

The Fed still prioritizes managing inflation above all else, which is where monetarist theory comes in. I see your point about rate cuts, as they are associated with Keynesian economics, but I don't see the Fed operating under Keynesian principles on the whole.

Assuming that the Fed operates as monetarists, inflation is the main worry. So the rate cuts are fairly ominous, in that the Fed is signaling with such a steep cut that inflation is not only not a worry, but recession is. (Under ordinary circumstances, such a steep cut would be inherently inflationary.)

Again, this could backfire. If the rate cuts actually work, that means that the US just lowered its investment returns to those with the capital to invest, which makes the US even less attractive to investors than it was before the rate cuts. There is no shortage of borrowers at the old rates, the problem has been with the lack of lenders and investors, and I don't see them encouraged to put more into the market if their returns were just cut.

Personally, though, I think that investors will just increase their spreads (as they have been already), and net interest rates for most borrowing won't change all that much. But it will put a damper on the interest earned by your bank account.
Based on my research these are the two methods that Keynesian theorist follow.

* a reduction in interest rates.
* Government investment in infrastructure - the injection of income results in more spending in the general economy, which in turn stimulates more production and investment involving still more income and spending and so forth. The initial stimulation starts a cascade of events, whose total increase in economic activity is a multiple of the original investment.

Source - Wikipedia

The Monetarist theory is as follows...

Monetarism is an economic theory which focuses on the macroeconomic effects of the supply of money and central banking. Formulated by Milton Friedman, it argues that excessive expansion of the money supply is inherently inflationary, and that monetary authorities should focus solely on maintaining price stability.

So in effect lowering interest rates puts more money in the supply because banks are now being charged less for purchasing money from the Federal Reserve. That contradicts the belief of Monetarists.

Source - Wikipedia.

That's where I'm basing my opinion.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:57 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
But paying off credit card debt won't stimulate the economy - it's your duty as an American (consumer) to go out and buy some more crap you don't need and put it on your flexible friend!
Actually if I pay it off that means I'll have more money in the long run not being paid to someone else in the form on interest. However it would be good to have some mad money though. I could use some new shoes.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

Does that mean the USD is going even further south?????
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:10 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
correct

i presume you are concerned about the UK/US exchange rate

unless the bank of england also make cuts. in which case things should stay fairly similar
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
correct

i presume you are concerned about the UK/US exchange rate

unless the bank of england also make cuts. in which case things should stay fairly similar
Half my savings is still sitting in USD in two accounts, because I can't bring myself to convert to GBP with the stinking rate it's been at since I came back to the UK ... and I can't get a decent interest rate on it so it's just sitting there ever-decreasing in value ...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually if I pay it off that means I'll have more money in the long run not being paid to someone else in the form on interest. However it would be good to have some mad money though. I could use some new shoes.
But the whole point of this is that you will have more money to pay someone else interest, thus helping bail out the financial sector. As as true American, paying interest is your moral obligation
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:18 am
Riding on silver wings

But the whole point of this is that you will have more money to pay someone else interest, thus helping bail out the financial sector. As as true American, paying interest is your moral obligation
Think about it. Less money towards interest means more in my pocket for spending. THAT will stimulate the economy while leaving me fiscally healthier situation that will benefit the economy more in the long run.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Think about it. Less money towards interest means more in my pocket for spending. THAT will stimulate the economy while leaving me fiscally healthier situation that will benefit the economy more in the long run.
Well, my point was somewhat in jest, but a lot of the motivation for these rate cuts is to attempt to increase the bank's lending margins and rescue their balance sheets from the current morass. What will stimulate the economy most is banks lending again, and that's not going to happen until they're in better shape than their current writedowns have left them.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:30 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i think you'll find its not paying interest - its buying low quality cheap shit from wal-mart/target et al...

i just prefer not to buy anything. the missus likes to ruin that for me though...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:48 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by dunroving
These are somewhat independent. The falling dollar is, IMO, largely the result of the budget deficit and concerns for US stability, which in turn leads me to believe that the weak dollar is largely a byproduct of investor perception of US policy in Iraq.

My guess is that the dollar will rebound when it becomes clear that the US is reducing its presence or withdrawing from Iraq, as it is a drain on US resources, financially and otherwise. If I'm right, that means that things will remain largely as they are until at least the November elections and into 2009 or so, depending upon who wins.

Monetarism is an economic theory which focuses on the macroeconomic effects of the supply of money and central banking. Formulated by Milton Friedman, it argues that excessive expansion of the money supply is inherently inflationary, and that monetary authorities should focus solely on maintaining price stability.

So in effect lowering interest rates puts more money in the supply because banks are now being charged less for purchasing money from the Federal Reserve. That contradicts the belief of Monetarists.

Source - Wikipedia.

That's where I'm basing my opinion.
Yes, monetarists focus on maintaining low inflation. But that doesn't mean that monetarists never cut interest rates, it just means that managing for low inflation takes priority over managing for growth.

In this case, the Fed is signaling that inflation is not a concern, and that a rate cut can be initiated without spiking inflation. A monetarist would believe that rates should be as low as possible without sparking inflationary conditions.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:20 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

OMG my head is spinning like I was back in class at college in 1983
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:51 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Thydney
OMG my head is spinning like I was back in class at college in 1983
Just wait when we do a compare and contrast using macro and micro economic models and explain how the current Fed policies effect each one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.