Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US DVD player for UK DVDs

US DVD player for UK DVDs

Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Desinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud of
Default US DVD player for UK DVDs

Hi all,

After 5 months, suffering withdrawal symptoms over thoughts of a fools and horses free Christmas, so purchased one of these from Amazon: 'New Pioneer Dv-420vk ALL Multi Region Code Zone Free DVD' and it plays them beautifully, at least the test run this afternoon of Porridge series 3 looked great. Hope this helps someone. Good antedote to the odd bout of homesickness I would venture.
After 27F here on Wednesday this week in central Florida today was a balmy and cloudless 78F, amazing how fast it changes. Love days like this!
Merry Christmas to all.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US DVD player for UK DVDs

Originally Posted by Desinflorida
Hi all,

After 5 months, suffering withdrawal symptoms over thoughts of a fools and horses free Christmas, so purchased one of these from Amazon: 'New Pioneer Dv-420vk ALL Multi Region Code Zone Free DVD' and it plays them beautifully, at least the test run this afternoon of Porridge series 3 looked great. Hope this helps someone. Good antedote to the odd bout of homesickness I would venture.
After 27F here on Wednesday this week in central Florida today was a balmy and cloudless 78F, amazing how fast it changes. Love days like this!
Merry Christmas to all.
I bought a "region-free" DVD player when I moved over, and then subsequently found out that you can hack many cheap DVD players to play other region's discs. Google was, apparently, my friend....
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:06 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a lead to plug my laptop into my TV, it'll play any DVD I book in the drive.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Depends a little on the hardware - Apple laptops, for example, won't, most Wintels can be convinced to do so, if necessary with a little extra software.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Seattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky
I bought a lead to plug my laptop into my TV, it'll play any DVD I book in the drive.
I bought a DVD player for about 30 dollars, went to the menu turned "off" the regions and that was that !
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Desinflorida
Hi all,

Merry Christmas to all.
Me too, just waiting for mine to be delivered in time for Xmas. I also found this site;

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/d...Key%20Features

which has patched firmware that may or may not be what it comes with from Amazon. But hopefully it will have additional features such as 'Skip the damn FBI warning', which is probably worth the risk of flashing the firmware for!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:51 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seattleshane
I bought a DVD player for about 30 dollars, went to the menu turned "off" the regions and that was that !
Shane, what's the make and model of your DVD player?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Seattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really niceSeattleshane is just really nice

Originally Posted by avanutria
Shane, what's the make and model of your DVD player?
Its a cyberhome ch-300 , Had it about 5 years so theres more than likely a better DVD player out there, I would google multi region DVD players , I think they are not too expensive now.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Depends a little on the hardware - Apple laptops, for example, won't, most Wintels can be convinced to do so, if necessary with a little extra software.
Apples will play anything. You just need the correct software. VLC and free mount are good starting points.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seattleshane
Its a cyberhome ch-300 , Had it about 5 years so theres more than likely a better DVD player out there, I would google multi region DVD players , I think they are not too expensive now.
Cybrehome is a good bet - stacks of BE-ers (including myself) bought one. Mine died after 8 years, but that's not bad for $30 ... about $4 a year.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:43 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Another +1 here for the Cyberhome.

Though mine also died after a few years, it's been the best dvd player I've owned.

I currently have a RJ Technology iVIEW-102DV DVD Player. It looks basic, but does it's multi-region job and that is all that matters
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I bought a "region-free" DVD player when I moved over, and then subsequently found out that you can hack many cheap DVD players to play other region's discs. Google was, apparently, my friend....
Originally Posted by N1cky
Christ. Well if we're playing that game then I stick them on my finger and spin them around while I read the box...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.videohelp.com/

Just look up whatever player on that to see if you can get it regionless.

Not much choice for Blu Ray players though, which is a bugger.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.videohelp.com/

Just look up whatever player on that to see if you can get it regionless.

Not much choice for Blu Ray players though, which is a bugger.
Isn't the whole region thing different for Blu-Ray players though? I thought they were regionless for regular DVDs, but that for Blu-Ray disks it is a completely different story (maybe that's what you mean, Bob).
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Isn't the whole region thing different for Blu-Ray players though? I thought they were regionless for regular DVDs, but that for Blu-Ray disks it is a completely different story (maybe that's what you mean, Bob).
The DVD aspect is the same...that's the problem with them.

Blu Ray have two regions, A and B...essentially doesn't matter for Blu Ray movies, but if you bung in a DVD, it will.

So far, it seems you've then got to have a regionless DVD player on the side, which is why I haven't bothered picking up one, well can't afford the movies anyway, and don't have room for another box under the tele...which is a bugger as there have been some really incredible deals over Thanksgiving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.