Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US drivers license

US drivers license

Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

ando88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US drivers license

I am going through my tax return and the final check requires I state my state drivers licence. I also will need a state drivers licence to obtain auto insurance. I have a valid Aus licence and International licence. The procedures differ from state to state, I will be applying in Alabama. The DMV website is a total mess, and the requirements muddled. It would be great if anyone can provide me on any advice. Cheers
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US drivers license

Originally Posted by ando88
I am going through my tax return and the final check requires I state my state drivers licence. I also will need a state drivers licence to obtain auto insurance. I have a valid Aus licence and International licence. The procedures differ from state to state, I will be applying in Alabama. The DMV website is a total mess, and the requirements muddled. It would be great if anyone can provide me on any advice. Cheers
Some states have added a requirement for driver license numbers and/or date of birth on tax returns, as an added security measure. Alabama's reference to it is here on the 2nd page:http://revenue.alabama.gov/news/01282014_1.pdf
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

So there is essentially no way around it, AL drivers licence required to file tax
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

So there is essentially no way around it, AL drivers licence required to file tax
Do the research or call them. I think that may apply only to electronic filing. There must be provision for those who do not have driver licenses.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been living in Alabama? Once you establish your home and take a job you are required to obtain a state DL wiithin a short (specified) time. Your Oz licence and the International permit just doesn't cut it. I am not sure what the period after which a local license is required is in Alabama, but 30 days is common, in a few states it can be 90 days. If you get involved in an accident you could find your insurance is voided because you don't have a valid license.

You will likely have to do some sort of theory test, then register for and take a road test. The theory test should be possible within a few days, or even same day. The road test might take several weeks, depending on the availability of test times. Generally you should find that the rural areas have a shorter wait time.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

When I took my test in Alabama (albeit 12 years ago), you just turned up at the test center (centre), wait in line (queue) and could take the theory test immediately followed by the driving test (which was ridiculously easy). You had to have a designated (licensed) driver accompany you to the test. At that time, there was no reservation system and if it rained on the day, all tests were cancelled.

Foreign nationals cannot test at the rural locations, only the main offices (Birmingham, Montgomery or Mobile - Maybe Huntsville). The license will only be issued for the duration of your visa.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

thanks y'all so far.

Any clues as to how the residence goes? What address do I give? What do I need to give to prove I live there etc?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks y'all so far.

Any clues as to how the residence goes? What address do I give? What do I need to give to prove I live there etc?
Wouldn't you use the address where you live? What address are you using on the tax return?

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks y'all so far.

According to your last thread, you are in the process of returning to Oz with your US wife. If that is the case, why do you need a drivers license at all? Or car insurance?

Do you have a residence in Alabama? If not, you're not going to be able to get a drivers license anyway.

I moved from Alabama to Florida in January last year but need to file an Alabama return for my final paycheck in January. I no longer have a Alabama drivers license OR Alabama address so may run into the same issue you have (I'm not ready to file just yet).

I'm guessing the need for a DL is for e-file. If you don't have one, you'll need to mail your return in the old fashioned way.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chawkins99
According to your last thread, you are in the process of returning to Oz with your US wife. If that is the case, why do you need a drivers license at all? Or car insurance?

Do you have a residence in Alabama? If not, you're not going to be able to get a drivers license anyway.

I moved from Alabama to Florida in January last year but need to file an Alabama return for my final paycheck in January. I no longer have a Alabama drivers license OR Alabama address so may run into the same issue you have (I'm not ready to file just yet).

I'm guessing the need for a DL is for e-file. If you don't have one, you'll need to mail your return in the old fashioned way.
Thanks for bearing the entirety of my situation. Yes truth is, we are 1 foot out of the US anyway. I've lived here 3 years, but my Aus licence/International licence was sufficient - was pulled over once and was no issues.

Guess I'll just file the taxes the old fashioned way like you said - this is my 1st US tax return as I was a grad student the other 2 years I lived here before.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for bearing the entirety of my situation. Yes truth is, we are 1 foot out of the US anyway. I've lived here 3 years, but my Aus licence/International licence was sufficient
No it wasn't.. you just got lucky. If you had been involved in a wreck your insurers would probably have disowned you.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... my Aus licence/International licence was sufficient - was pulled over once and was no issues. .....
What MidAtlantic said! ..... You might have been OK as a grad student, but not after that.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No it wasn't.. you just got lucky. If you had been involved in a wreck your insurers would probably have disowned you.
I didn't have a car as a grad student, sorry forgot to tell you that bit. I'm looking for advice going forward though, not looking back.

And in terms of current insurance, I am on someone elses policy - and its legal for 3rd party drivers/international drivers. I'm attempting to liberate out of that policy though - if at all possible, or perhaps it aint even worth it as like I said, we are 1 foot out of the US. Looking like we will be leaving in August now

Last edited by ando88; Jan 28th 2016 at 6:47 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:48 pm

I didn't have a car as a grad student, sorry forgot to tell you that bit. I'm looking for advice going forward though, not looking back. ....
Understood, but this is a public forum, and for every registered user who views this thread there are ten unregistered visitors, who could easily take what you said out of context. We pride ourselves in giving "complete" information, not just something specific to the narrow circumstances of the OP.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Understood, but this is a public forum, and for every registered user who views this thread there are ten unregistered visitors, who could easily take what you said out of context. We pride ourselves in giving "complete" information, not just something specific to the narrow circumstances of the OP.
Understood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.