US Dollar

Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

choops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Dollar

Its weakening and weakening!! Now, do i buy a stash of dollars today or wait and see if it falls further....?!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough
Default Re: US Dollar

I'm gutted, we transferred a couple of weeks agao and it wasn't as good as now. We were told it was going to fall and wish we waited now!!!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

marcnotrust is an unknown quantity at this point

Im coming over for 10 days in November - I am debating whether or not to get some now. Or wait to see if it falls further.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ive just spoken to a dealer that i deal with through work and he advises that some GDP data on the uk which would see the usd strengthen a bit comes out on the 27th. GDP is expected to strengthen per some reports although not by much causing economists still fearing a weak recovery causing teh dollar to gain back against sterling.

This is all just talk and internet reports of ''experts'' but do i take a punt and hope it doesnt go any higher???! Arrgghhh!!!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

marcnotrust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by choops
Ive just spoken to a dealer that i deal with through work and he advises that some GDP data on the uk which would see the usd strengthen a bit comes out on the 27th. GDP is expected to strengthen per some reports although not by much causing economists still fearing a weak recovery causing teh dollar to gain back against sterling.

This is all just talk and internet reports of ''experts'' but do i take a punt and hope it doesnt go any higher???! Arrgghhh!!!
Ive heard its going to strengthen too etc, Looked at a few Forex forecast sites etc. I Might just buy half now and then see what happens over the next few months.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Damn, its lost half a point already!! May have missed the boat
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the dozens of previous posts at similar points in the USD/GBP exchange cycle, there's a 50/50 chance that the USD will go up or down.

I spent almost a month wrestling with my US bank to transfer my remaining USD into the UK several months back, when it was at $1.35. By the time it arrived, the pound was up above $1.55, so I hung on and it's now at almost $1.65.

Robert Frost (I think) once said that a door is something a dog is always on the wrong side of. Over the past 30 years, the USD/GBP exchange rate is something I always seem to be on the wrong side of.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Robert Frost (I think) once said that a door is something a dog is always on the wrong side of. Over the past 30 years, the USD/GBP exchange rate is something I always seem to be on the wrong side of.
The broker I deal with once said "If the rate is acceptable to you take it. Those that are greedy and try and milk for a few extra dollars usually lose out."
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Based on the dozens of previous posts at similar points in the USD/GBP exchange cycle, there's a 50/50 chance that the USD will go up or down.
Ah, so it can go up or down? I see.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The federal reserve and the US government are deliberately allowing the US$ to weaken to give the US an advantage in exports against its main competitors (Europe, UK, Japan, Australia, and Canada).

I suspect the US government would be happy to see the US$ fall to $1.80 to the £ and $1.60 to the Euro. However things like the European sovereign debt crisis could turn exchange rates around on a dime especially if one of the countries defaults or Spain gets into trouble .