Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"US criticised over 'internet only' visa"

"US criticised over 'internet only' visa"

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default "US criticised over 'internet only' visa"

Headline is a little daft, since it's of course not a visa... it's a visa waiver, which constitutes the exact opposite... but some of the points are quite interesting never the less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...only-visa.html

"The USA is effectively saying that if you're not online you can't come in"
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:29 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "US criticised over 'internet only' visa"

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Headline is a little daft, since it's of course not a visa... it's a visa waiver, which constitutes the exact opposite... but some of the points are quite interesting never the less.

While I agree it's a bit poor not to offer any alternative, wouldn't it usually be the case that if you are not able to use the internet you would generally go to a travel agent to book your trips? So no problem there.

I'm sure there are some cases where people book direct over the phone with the airline, but then how are these people booking hotels?

Usually local libraries provide internet access, and would help someone use it too. Seems like a bit too much fuss over not being able to find a way to me.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure a lot of the travel agents will be able to do it for their clients. And they'll be a lot of people who forget then try to do it within the 72hr timeframe or forget to renew it every 2yrs. What will happen then?

I wonder how much, if any affect it will have on tourism/business here but the alternative is scrapping the VWP and requiring everybody to get a visa. Also, how safe is the electronic storage of the information collected? US Government hasn't been very careful at times in this area.

Last edited by Brit3964; Dec 3rd 2008 at 1:45 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
While I agree it's a bit poor not to offer any alternative, wouldn't it usually be the case that if you are not able to use the internet you would generally go to a travel agent to book your trips? So no problem there.

I'm sure there are some cases where people book direct over the phone with the airline, but then how are these people booking hotels?

Usually local libraries provide internet access, and would help someone use it too. Seems like a bit too much fuss over not being able to find a way to me.
Completely agree.

After reading the article, it appears to me that some people just want any excuse to complain and say 'hey, you are leaving me out.' I can't help but think if the elderly took their butts to the library, they could get some training on the fancy ol' computers, or perhaps they could get a younger child/grandchild to help. If the 'aged' feel young enough to travel to another country, then they should be 'young' enough to make sure they get the ESTA form filled out. And anyone poor enough not to be able to afford a computer at home has the library or internet cafe's as an option. Besides, if they are that poor, how can they afford a trip to the US?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
.........anyone poor enough not to be able to afford a computer at home has the library or internet cafe's as an option. Besides, if they are that poor, how can they afford a trip to the US?
I would not do my online banking at an internet cafe or library, not would I be willing to fill in such a form with my personal information at a public computer either...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I would not do my online banking at an internet cafe or library, not would I be willing to fill in such a form with my personal information at a public computer either...
I think there's more risk in the information getting out from the system than there is from the local library.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, nobody here should really be surprised by that.

After all, US immigration policy is based on the doctrine of "you can't come here".
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:17 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The Aussies have been doing something like this for years. The US plan is a blatant copy of Australia's ETA program.

Typically, the ETA is something that is handled by the airline or travel agent. Aside from the advanced filing requirement -- the Aussie one does not mandate a 3-day minimum advanced notice -- this should be a non-issue.

The biggest problem that I see is this 3-day component. Last minute business travelers and those who otherwise have last minute needs, such as those traveling for funerals and medical emergencies, are going to have problems. The approval should be instantaneous. That's supposed to be the point of having an electronic filing, so that the database searches can be done automatically and with little effort.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:22 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The Aussies have been doing something like this for years. The US plan is a blatant copy of Australia's ETA program.

Typically, the ETA is something that is handled by the airline or travel agent. Aside from the advanced filing requirement -- the Aussie one does not mandate a 3-day minimum advanced notice -- this should be a non-issue.

The biggest problem that I see is this 3-day component. Last minute business travelers and those who otherwise have last minute needs, such as those traveling for funerals and medical emergencies, are going to have problems. The approval should be instantaneous. That's supposed to be the point of having an electronic filing, so that the database searches can be done automatically and with little effort.
Isn't the approval valid for 2 years? That should sort out anyone who might travel for business as even though it might be a last minute trip you usually have a reasonable idea that you might be expected to travel for work.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:31 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the approval valid for 2 years? That should sort out anyone who might travel for business as even though it might be a last minute trip you usually have a reasonable idea that you might be expected to travel for work.
I wasn't aware of anything that made one filing valid for repeated visits, if that's what you're implying.

Surely, most people wouldn't be affected by a 3-day minimum rule, but some would, and many of those who would are going to be upset, given the sort of circumstances that would lead many of us to make a last minute trip abroad.

I would be surprised if the airlines wouldn't help their customers with filing this. They should be willing to help anyone who books with them directly by phone.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

usabound is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume the check in staff will have access to this database information in some fashion which to me begs the question of why are they giving any number of check in staff around the world - including middle eastern countries we must assume- access to homeland security database. I doubt homeland security has vetted ever member of check in staff around the world who will see that information have they?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't aware of anything that made one filing valid for repeated visits, if that's what you're implying.
Q: How long is a travel authorization via ESTA™ valid?

A: Each approved ESTA™ application generally will be valid for a period of two years and allows for multiple visits to the United States within that period without having to apply for another ESTA™. Travelers whose ESTA™ applications are approved, but whose passports will expire in less than two years, will receive an ESTA™ valid until the passport’s expiration date.

http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trav...t/esta_faq.pdf
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is. Just helped my parents do theirs while they were here.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:16 am
Bloody Yank

Q: How long is a travel authorization via ESTA™ valid?

A: Each approved ESTA™ application generally will be valid for a period of two years and allows for multiple visits to the United States within that period without having to apply for another ESTA™. Travelers whose ESTA™ applications are approved, but whose passports will expire in less than two years, will receive an ESTA™ valid until the passport’s expiration date.

http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trav...t/esta_faq.pdf
Thanks, that's interesting to know.

It is apparently a bit different from the Aussie system, then. An Australian ETA is technically a form of visa, and you need a new one each time that you visit.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is apparently a bit different from the Aussie system, then. An Australian ETA is technically a form of visa, and you need a new one each time that you visit.
Most ETAs are multiple entry, although usually valid for only 12 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.