Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Community College

US Community College

Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

leepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Community College

I'm currently living in California, although I am still awaiting my permanent residency card and work permit. I entered the country legally on a ESTA and married during my time here.

My questions are as followed:

Am I eligible for grants for community college?
If so, which ones?
As a white, none US citizen with no higher education as such, do you think I'd be able to have most of my college paid for?

I have called my local community college and have an appointment with them in two weeks (busy time of the year, I guess) but I thought I'd ask you guys also.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Community College

Originally Posted by leepne
I'm currently living in California, although I am still awaiting my permanent residency card and work permit. I entered the country legally on a ESTA and married during my time here.

My questions are as followed:

If so, which ones?
As a white, none US citizen with no higher education as such, do you think I'd be able to have most of my college paid for?

I have called my local community college and have an appointment with them in two weeks (busy time of the year, I guess) but I thought I'd ask you guys also.
Surely going to community college is to attain higher education? Do you have GCSE's or A-levels? Do they accept these or even know what they mean? I of course realize your appointment will be designed to ask/answer these qu...

I wish I could help you more, but would be interested in the responses. At a GUESS you may be charged in-state fees for your community college since you will be a PR there...
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

leepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Surely going to community college is to attain higher education? Do you have GCSE's or A-levels? Do they accept these or even know what they mean? I of course realize your appointment will be designed to ask/answer these qu...

I wish I could help you more, but would be interested in the responses. At a GUESS you may be charged in-state fees for your community college since you will be a PR there...
So I do have GCSE's but I they aren't the best, not sure if anything is beyond a C grade. I wasn't in the correct frame of mind back when I was 15 years of age, I'm currently 28.

I do however have credits for the follows:

Level 2 certificate in Electrotechnical Technology - Installation (Building & Structures):
Application of health and Safety and Electrical principles (Stage 2)
Principles of Electrotechnology (Stage 1)
Working Effectively and Safely in the Electrotechnical Environment (Stage 1)
Installation (Buildings and structures)

Not sure if that helps?
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

So I do have GCSE's but I they aren't the best, not sure if anything is beyond a C grade. I wasn't in the correct frame of mind back when I was 15 years of age, I'm currently 28.

I do however have credits for the follows:

Level 2 certificate in Electrotechnical Technology - Installation (Building & Structures):
Application of health and Safety and Electrical principles (Stage 2)
Principles of Electrotechnology (Stage 1)
Working Effectively and Safely in the Electrotechnical Environment (Stage 1)
Installation (Buildings and structures)

Not sure if that helps?
This is all just my pontification now..

If those are UK credits, I am sorry to say that I do not believe they will be of any use in the US.

Going back to community college is the right idea, I am not sure what sort of entry requirements they would stipulate for a newly minted GC holder, relatively fresh off the boat. Again, I guess that some sort of high school equivalency qualification may be in order?

Not all agree, but in my opinion and experience, getting any sort of professional job with a career path requires at least some sort of bachelors qualification these days, as everyone is going to college out of high school. I would pursue this at any cost....
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than just waiting here, hoping for answers to your question - go to their web site.
For example, here's the community college near me...and the sort of info you should expect to find:

http://www.smc.edu/EnrollmentDevelop...s/default.aspx

http://www.smc.edu/EnrollmentDevelop...tion_Fees.aspx
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are eligible for grants and scholarships just not federal aid! Most likely not private student loans either until you get your GC and fill out the FAFSA.

If so, which ones?.
With all due respect, Google it. These vary massively on location, major, education level, GPA etc.

I only have 2 A levels and got into College. I saved enough money to pay for an entire year myself as I would not be able to get student loans initially. I'm now heading into my second semester with a Federal student loan since I got my GC with a semester's worth of tuition set aside just in case.

In a word, yes you can get your education paid for.. by a loan (when GC is issued).. of which you will pay back. Good luck getting the entirety paid for out of scholarships and grants!
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMcD
Rather than just waiting here, hoping for answers to your question - go to their web site.
For example, here's the community college near me...and the sort of info you should expect to find:

http://www.smc.edu/EnrollmentDevelop...s/default.aspx

http://www.smc.edu/EnrollmentDevelop...tion_Fees.aspx
Thank you for those links, unfortunately the community college near me doesn't have the best website, believe me I've checked, hence my phone call and appointment with them soon.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

At a GUESS you may be charged in-state fees for your community college since you will be a PR there...
There are several requirements for eligibility for in-state tuition rates in California - one of them is that you must have been a California resident for at least 12 months (and there are others, so even if you have been resident for 12 months that may not be sufficient)
Old Jul 14th 2017, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
There are several requirements for eligibility for in-state tuition rates in California - one of them is that you must have been a California resident for at least 12 months (and there are others, so even if you have been resident for 12 months that may not be sufficient)
What I feared...
Old Jul 14th 2017, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Surely these are questions you can ask at your interview with the college?
Old Jul 14th 2017, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Surely these are questions you can ask at your interview with the college?
Thank you for your input:

Originally Posted by LeePNE
Old Jul 14th 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for those links, unfortunately the community college near me doesn't have the best website, believe me I've checked
Hope that's not emblematic of the quality of the college itself - especially if you should be wanting to transfer to another College or University for your Bachelors after getting your Associates Degree.
Not saying it is - but seems a bit off in the latter quarter of the 21st century.

I'd certainly take a good look at what choices are local to you. Might be worth driving the extra mile or 10.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 10:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Surely going to community college is to attain higher education? .....
You may have the wrong end of the stick, or at least not grasp what you can study at a community college - there are three broad areas:

- fairly basic studies to obtain a GED,
- modular studies in a range of subjects that could very generally be considered equivalent to A levels (i.e. what Americans spend much of their first two years at college/uni studying, and then
- trade skills such as mechanics, plumbing, electrical, cosmetology, cabinet making, etc.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMcD
Hope that's not emblematic of the quality of the college itself - especially if you should be wanting to transfer to another College or University for your Bachelors after getting your Associates Degree.
Not saying it is - but seems a bit off in the latter quarter of the 21st century.

I'd certainly take a good look at what choices are local to you. Might be worth driving the extra mile or 10.
Maybe I'm just not navigating the website correctly.

Try: http://www.canyons.edu/Pages/Home.aspx
Old Jul 14th 2017, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Best check the residency requirements in your interview. Luckily, mine was to be married to an Idaho USC which I was

Following on from Pulaski's reply, if you are going for something out of those areas it is best to go to a 4 year college. I worked in IT (Network admin, cyber security etc.) and found that a degree is an essential. Best decision I ever made was going for full time college!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.