Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US College System

US College System

Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:39 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US College System

Originally Posted by A8NNC
Hi
Our daughter will be 17 but would you suggest then that she does the last 2 years at High School... sounds from you that it will be the best idea, i dont suppose it would make much difference if she is 19 when she leaves, would it? Do the schools have the same terms as us eg do they start a new school year in Sept, as this would be the date we would have to make sure we were here for ready for her to start a new school year. When we have confirmation of where we will be living is that when you contact the local school? What did you need to provide/produce when you applied for her at High School? Did you have to get her GCSE's converted (as might be difficult as she wont get results until end of August). Thanking you in advance for your answers...thanks....
I live in PA and here you go to the high school in your area. No choice unless you go private. We pay property taxes to out township and a big portion of them fund the elementary, middle and high school.

We just contacted the counselling office at the local high school and took it from there. They had to take my children as we lived in the town.

I did get copies of the UK national curriculum but it wasn't necessary.
The school did their own evaluation of her GCSE's and gave her a starting GPA. (grade point average). I had already spoken to a British family here in my town and knew from their experiences that the the school had assessed her GCSE's fairly. If I had felt otherwise I would have tried to get them assessed elsewhere.

There is more opportunity here to be put in a class that suits your abilities. For example my eldest struggled with maths and so she was in a freshman class to start with even though she was a junior. They assessed her constantly and switched her around as she improved.

Our school offers AP, Honors and IB as well as straight forward academic classes so there is plenty of ability levels.

AP = advanced placement
IB = International baccalaureate.

We live in a good school district but we pay a lot in property tax.

I think it is worth doing some high school here because it will introduce your daughter to local friends and activities and the school will help you with college applications.