Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Claims to Fame

US Claims to Fame

Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:47 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Claims to Fame

Chicago, site of the Haymarket massacre and the origin of May Day as a Workers Holiday around the world (well, sort of around the world, and certainly not, ironically in its country of origin).
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Savannah Georgia, oldest city in Georgia where the cotton gin was invented. Where Jingle Bells was composed!!! The city that was Gen Sherman's Christmas present to President Lincoln.
Popular film site:- Forrest Gump, Something to Talk About, Glory, The Gingerbread Man, Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil, Claudine's Return,The General's Daughter,Forces of Nature, Roots, The Legend of Bagger Vance and The Gift.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:56 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Savannah Georgia, oldest city in Georgia where the cotton gin was invented. Where Jingle Bells was composed!!! The city that was Gen Sherman's Christmas present to President Lincoln.
Popular film site:- Forrest Gump, Something to Talk About, Glory, The Gingerbread Man, Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil, Claudine's Return,The General's Daughter,Forces of Nature, Roots, The Legend of Bagger Vance and The Gift.
And A Rainy Night in Georgia. Great song.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And A Rainy Night in Georgia. Great song.

It is and it sure has been lately. With that I'm off to bed- 5 am comes early, sigh.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:10 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Richmond, Virginia was the capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War.

My alma mater, the University of Richmond, served as a hospital for Confederate troops; later it served as a barracks for Union troops. In 1992, UR hosted the third of three televised presidential debates featuring George Bush, Bill Clinton and Ross Perot, causing thousands of journalists from all over the world to descend upon Richmond and the UR campus. (And I got to work at the debate as an usher! Woohoo!)

Tennis great Arthur Ashe was from Richmond. He was one of the first and the few black tennis players to make it big, impressive considering he played during the barely-desegregated 1960s and 1970s. Tragically he contracted AIDS after a blood transfusion in 1988 and died five years later. He was one of the first really famous people in the States -- who wasn't homosexual -- to go public about having AIDS. (I actually knew someone who, until then, honestly believed only gay people got HIV/AIDS until he heard about Arthur Ashe.) Later the city of Richmond decided to honor Ashe with a statue of him on Monument Avenue -- a place which, until then, was solely reserved for statues of Confederate heros. It caused quite a stir, even though it was nearly 130 years after the Civil War.

Williamsburg, Virginia is home to the second-oldest institution of higher learning (after Harvard) in the United States, the College of William & Mary, which opened its doors in 1693 (VERY old by American standards!). English architect Christopher Wren designed the interior of the Wren Building, the oldest academic building still in continuous use in the United States. The prestigious Phi Beta Kappa honor society was founded at W&M. W&M alumni include presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and John Tyler; entertainers Glenn Close and Jon Stewart ("The Daily Show"); and my brother, Dave.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:08 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Durham is known as the "City of Medicine", not due to the number of drugstores (though there seem to be a silly number of them) but because of the four major hospitals in the city and that 1 in 4 people in Durham work in a health related field.

For the full blurb, read here.

For the history buffs, Bennett Place is in Durham, NC and is the site where the largest surrender of Civil War troops was negotiated. Some say this surrender effectively ended the Civil War.

John Merrick founded North Carolina Mutual and Provident Insurance Company in Durham in 1898. By 1948, it was the largest African American owned business in the country. It still exists today and the office building stands out on the downtown Durham skyline.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Requisite boredom... ( ):

Santa Fe, NM, full name 'La Villa Real de Santa Fe de San Francisco de Asis' - second oldest city in the US (1607), oldest seat of governance in the US, oldest public building (Palace of the Governers, 1610), oldest community celebration (Santa Fe Fiesta, 1712), highest state capital (7,000 feet), third-largest art market in the US. Existed under Spanish, Mexican, Union and Confederate flags. 35 miles from the birthplace of the atomic bomb.

And with humidity usually below 50%, often below 10%, no need to join the rest of you bitching about the cost of A/C.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jun 14th 2005 at 7:40 am.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Santa Fe, NM, full name 'La Villa Real de Santa Fe de San Francisco de Asis' - second oldest city in the US (1607), oldest seat of governance in the US, oldest public building (Palace of the Governers, 1610), oldest community celebration (Santa Fe Fiesta, 1712), highest state capital (7,000 feet), third-largest art market in the US. Existed under Spanish, Mexican, Union and Confederate flags. 35 miles from the birthplace of the atomic bomb.

And with humidity usually below 50%, often below 10%, no need to join the rest of you bitching about the cost of A/C.
And a great place to visit. With the narrow streets, lovely shops, green town square, and old church, it almost felt like we were in Europe.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:51 am
ImHere

Yeah but with our year round sun and high humidity everywhere is lush green all year round. And its good for your lungs.

Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my! Santa Fe is now at the top of our "must-go-there" list . I've been having withdrawal symptoms from not seeing any buildings older than 150 years .
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:06 pm
Consistently Inconsistent

Hammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the roughHammo is a jewel in the rough

Kemmerer, WY - JC Penney opened his first store here in 1902.

Also, we apparantly have the largest open pit coal mine in North America.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Oh my! Santa Fe is now at the top of our "must-go-there" list . I've been having withdrawal symptoms from not seeing any buildings older than 150 years .
Be warned, flatlander.... both my 12-yo daughter and I had some altitude problems. Nothing serious but we would wear out more quickly than usual, and since we were only staying three days didn't have time to acclimate fully. When the earth started to sway under my feet I knew I needed to have a lie down
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Be warned, flatlander.... both my 12-yo daughter and I had some altitude problems. Nothing serious but we would wear out more quickly than usual, and since we were only staying three days didn't have time to acclimate fully. When the earth started to sway under my feet I knew I needed to have a lie down

Yes, thanks, snowbunny - that hadn't occurred to me. 7,000ft is quite a height - about halfway up Mount Teide in Tenerife (Canary Islands) I suppose.
Been up there many times and I do remember some people were having problems. We shall take it slow and easy!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:41 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

St Augustine, Fl the oldest city in North America, named by Don Pedro Menedez de Aviles in 1565.
Also home to Florida's oldest house, and the oldest wooden school house in the USA.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
St Augustine, Fl the oldest city in North America, named by Don Pedro Menedez de Aviles in 1565.
Also home to Florida's oldest house, and the oldest wooden school house in the USA.

any advance on 1565 folks ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.