Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship (quick question)

US Citizenship (quick question)

Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default US Citizenship (quick question)

Hi everyone ( I posted this on returning to UK forum but thought I'd post it here too)

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to get my US citizenship. I sent the application overnight on Oct 30th 2013, and within two weeks got a letter for a date for my fingerprints. After I completed that I got a letter approximately 2 wks after that for an interview date. The letter stated that I need to bring my Current UK Passport as well as expired passport/s.

My question is will I receive my UK passport back? When I called the immigration line I was not given a clear answer. I was told more than likely it would be returned but that was not a guaranteed answer . I then asked what if I need to travel before I could get a US passport and again was told that more than likely my Passport would be returned.

A second question, why would they need expired passports? Not that I have any. The last one I had was clipped at the end and returned to me when I got my current passport. I always shred my expired passports.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship (quick question)

They are interested in your travel, since becoming a PR.if some of that is in an old pp that is why. They Won,t keep your UK passport.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RICH
They are interested in your travel, since becoming a PR.if some of that is in an old pp that is why. They Won,t keep your UK passport.
Thanks for the response!

Don't have the old passport so they will have to go on the new one. Unfortunately the new one only has my return stamps in it as I traveled to Paris and other EU countries. Let's hope I don't have to explain to them why. On my trip back from Paris last year, I had to explain to the officer at the airport why my passport was not stamped in Paris yup sure did

If I had the old passport would they give that back or would they keep that one?
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
My question is will I receive my UK passport back?
Yes. That's the property of the UK government, and the USA is not allowed to keep it.

I then asked what if I need to travel before I could get a US passport and again was told that more than likely my Passport would be returned.
If you think you will be needing to travel right after becoming a USC, you will need to make a trip to one of the main passport offices in the USA to get a same-day US passport. If you think you won't need to travel for a couple of weeks, apply for an expedited US passport. If you won't need to travel in the immediate future, just do a regular US passport (not expedited).

For travel purposes, it doesn't matter if they return your UK passport to you after becoming a USC or not. As a USC, you are required to travel on a US passport.

Rene
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If I had the old passport would they give that back or would they keep that one?
The US won't keep any of your UK passports at all.

Rene
Old Dec 29th 2013, 10:04 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I took all my old passports but wasn't asked for any of them at the interview.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The US won't keep any of your UK passports at all.

Rene
YAY! Thanks for the response
Old Dec 29th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I took all my old passports but wasn't asked for any of them at the interview.
thanks. So good to know puts my mind at ease
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:04 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

At my interview they skimmed my passports, but no questions.

Took the Oath yesterday so fully fledged now. All done.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:08 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As a USC, you are required to travel on a US passport.

Rene
Not exactly correct. A US citizen is required to leave and enter the US on a US passport. Once outside the US you can use other passports. However, if you ever need a security clearance the use of a foreign passport could be taken as evidence of a foreign preference.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Voltore
At my interview they skimmed my passports, but no questions.

Took the Oath yesterday so fully fledged now. All done.
My interview is in few days so will update once it's done. Congrats on being fully fledged
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:15 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

My interview is in few days so will update once it's done. Congrats on being fully fledged
Good luck. It was a breeze for me, went through my application, asked me a few questions on it, did the Civics test (was easy), the english sentences made me laugh and then he poked around my Green Card app but no questions and that was it.

I had to wait 2 months from interview for the Oath, some offices do Same day but not Northern Virginia (as a rule!).
Old Jan 1st 2014, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Voltore
Good luck. It was a breeze for me, went through my application, asked me a few questions on it, did the Civics test (was easy), the english sentences made me laugh and then he poked around my Green Card app but no questions and that was it.

I had to wait 2 months from interview for the Oath, some offices do Same day but not Northern Virginia (as a rule!).
Thanks!
I've been reading the questions for the test... I'm hoping my office is one that does everything same day if not hopefully it wont take 2 months as everything else has taken about a span of two weeks for each process
Old Jan 1st 2014, 2:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I've been reading the questions for the test... I'm hoping my office is one that does everything same day if not hopefully it wont take 2 months as everything else has taken about a span of two weeks for each process
See this thread. The last couple of pages are mostly about my experience recently

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...703810&page=44
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RICH
See this thread. The last couple of pages are mostly about my experience recently

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...703810&page=44
Sweet! Thanks so much will give it a look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.