Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship, and how difficult it is to lose it involuntarily

US Citizenship, and how difficult it is to lose it involuntarily

Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:21 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Citizenship, and how difficult it is to lose it involuntarily

Interesting article in The Washington Independent.

Longish quote (mods, apologies if this is too long - feel free to delete and require people to go to the original article (which they should do anyway)):

Steve Clemons, who directs foreign policy studies for the influential New America Foundation, blogged last week that a “senior Pentagon official” was curious about the legal hurdles to annulling the citizenship of American terrorists in order to kill them.

Obama administration officials would not comment for the record, but one said that such an option was not under any serious discussion. Moral and legal considerations aside, Greenberg said it’s not possible — at least not for citizens born in the United States.

“They can’t do this with al-Awlaki. He is an American citizen, born in New Mexico. They can’t take away his citizenship,” Greenberg said, after tasking her legal staff to research the question in response to a query from TWI. However, she added, there are options available to the government to strip citizenship for naturalized citizens within the first 10 years of citizenship. Usually those options are exercised in immigration cases and lead to deportation.

Awlaki, or any other U.S. citizen, would have to formally renounce his citizenship in order to lose it, Greenberg continued. “Formally, you can write a letter” to the Justice Department, she said, informing it of such renunciation.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship, and how difficult it is to lose it involuntarily

I believe that if anyone is a citizen of any country, and they intentionally act against it as these 'American Terrorists' do - wishing to kill fellow citizens in the name of the Nation's enemy then so bid, strip them of their citizenship.

Trouble is though, if the US is their only place of citizenship where do you deport them to?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:31 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I believe that if anyone is a citizen of any country, and they intentionally act against it as these 'American Terrorists' do - wishing to kill fellow citizens in the name of the Nation's enemy then so bid, strip them of their citizenship.
That would require a constitutional amendment, unless I'm missing something, so it's very unlikely ever to happen.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is though, if the US is their only place of citizenship where do you deport them to?
We can't just remove rights by labelling folks as terrorists. Or deadbeat dads.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that if the US Government thinks it is OK to kill people extrajudicially they should be able to kill US Citizens extrajudicially just as easilly as non-citizens. I remember that at the time of the IRA troubles the Americans complained about the British "shoot to kill" policy. Now the shoe is on the other foot, the US doesn't bother to shoot people, they kill their entire wedding party and seem to think that is OK.. if it is OK, they should feel free to vaporise US Citizens also.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Interesting article in The Washington Independent.

Longish quote (mods, apologies if this is too long - feel free to delete and require people to go to the original article (which they should do anyway)):

Steve Clemons, who directs foreign policy studies for the influential New America Foundation, blogged last week that a “senior Pentagon official” was curious about the legal hurdles to annulling the citizenship of American terrorists in order to kill them.

Obama administration officials would not comment for the record, but one said that such an option was not under any serious discussion. Moral and legal considerations aside, Greenberg said it’s not possible — at least not for citizens born in the United States.

“They can’t do this with al-Awlaki. He is an American citizen, born in New Mexico. They can’t take away his citizenship,” Greenberg said, after tasking her legal staff to research the question in response to a query from TWI. However, she added, there are options available to the government to strip citizenship for naturalized citizens within the first 10 years of citizenship. Usually those options are exercised in immigration cases and lead to deportation.

Awlaki, or any other U.S. citizen, would have to formally renounce his citizenship in order to lose it, Greenberg continued. “Formally, you can write a letter” to the Justice Department, she said, informing it of such renunciation.
I can't believe this is new information to the people 'investigating' it.
I knew this before I ever got interested in US immigration.

WTH.
WTH is going ON these days anyway? I'm seriously considering stopping the daily paper and just not reading the news; it's making me sick. This business with the Senate, and also with Bayh.. it boggles me, not to mention that idiot Palin and the gaggle of fools listening to her seriously. That people would simply let things collapse around us like some sort of Katrina-smacked New Orleans, but on a national level is.. is.. I don't even know what to call it.
Meanwhile, Jesse freakin' Jackson is coming to town whip up trouble because the police have gone power mad, there have been nearly a dozen domestic murder/suicides recently (there's only 3 million people here in the first place!) and some poor guy fell in the crater of Mt St Helens.. I just can't take it anymore. Oh, and the Euro was apparently decades too soon and Spain is the Florida of Europe.

I think I'm going to stick to my new hobby of making meals for my neighbors, publishing our little newsletter and maybe get some chickens. And make my own soap.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:31 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by meauxna

I think I'm going to stick to my new hobby of making meals for my neighbors, publishing our little newsletter and maybe get some chickens. And make my own soap.
Hey, Meaux: our house needs cleaning. I promise to keep the TV and radio off, and no papers. Is five bucks for a couple of hours work good enough for you?

Or should we just call you Barbara and call DH Jack?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Hey, Meaux: our house needs cleaning. I promise to keep the TV and radio off, and no papers. Is five bucks for a couple of hours work good enough for you?

Or should we just call you Barbara and call DH Jack?
More like Marie and Jose at those rates.
I'm getting more than that walking the neighbors dog!

And the meals have been *charity* btw. And she even said it tasted good.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

maybe get some chickens. And make my own soap.
Soap from chickens
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

What they've done is TREASON - which is a crime, but no other crime strips a native-born USC of citizenship.

We could find some island to colonise and ship them there... or is that Guantanamo already?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What they've done is TREASON - which is a crime, but no other crime strips a native-born USC of citizenship.

We could find some island to colonise and ship them there... or is that Guantanamo already?
We just added the Marianas.
They can go work in the sweat shops.

hahah.. from wiki
The Mariana Islands (also the Marianas; up to the early 20th century sometimes called Ladrones Islands, from Spanish Islas de los Ladrones meaning "Islands of Thieves")
Perfect.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:53 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Can't we just send them all to Canada, that'll learn 'em. Plus then they'll be able to get the help they so desperately need.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

We just added the Marianas.
They can go work in the sweat shops.

hahah.. from wiki
The Mariana Islands (also the Marianas; up to the early 20th century sometimes called Ladrones Islands, from Spanish Islas de los Ladrones meaning "Islands of Thieves")
Perfect.
Some of these I knew of, some I didn't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_colony
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

The Feds already have a death penalty that can and has been used against US citizens. Remember Tim McVeigh? They didn't strip him of citizenship.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:33 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by Tom60
The Feds already have a death penalty that can and has been used against US citizens. Remember Tim McVeigh? They didn't strip him of citizenship.
Right, but they used due process there, not an extra-judicial execution, which is what the batshit crazies are calling for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.