Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

us citizen working in the uk

us citizen working in the uk

Old May 27th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default us citizen working in the uk

Hey

Can anyone help with this, as the home office web site is a little confusing.

Question: Can a US citizen enter the UK and work without a work visa if he is only there for 6 months or under???

There is the option of a hoildaymaker visa for up to 2 years, but just wanted to check the other option first

thanks!!!
Old May 27th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: us citizen working in the uk

Originally Posted by London7
Hey

Can anyone help with this, as the home office web site is a little confusing.

Question: Can a US citizen enter the UK and work without a work visa if he is only there for 6 months or under???

There is the option of a hoildaymaker visa for up to 2 years, but just wanted to check the other option first

thanks!!!
It is my understanding that as a U.S. citizen you will not require a visa to enter the U.K. but you will require a work-permit, which must be applied for by a U.K. company on your behalf. - Someone with more knowledge and details will be be able to correct me.

For your 2nd option, U.S. citizens are not eligible for the U.K. working-holiday visa.
Old May 27th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Hey
This is the response on the web site (home office) when you type in that you are a US citizen planning to work for no more than 6 months.Confusing !
Also, my friend has applied for the work visa, and they invited him for fingerprints!!! weird!!!

YES
You will need a visa to come to the United Kingdom if you plan to stay longer than 6 months

NO
You do not need a visa to come to the United Kingdom if you plan to visit for less than 6 months You told us:You are A national of United States Purpose of your visit Work Your status
Old May 27th 2008, 5:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

seeing as mosty people on here are expats in the us - we are probably not the most knowlegable about the other way? Try the yankie in the uk forums they would have a lot more info and experience i would expect.
Old May 27th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

No you need a work visa to work in the UK.
Old May 27th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
No you need a work visa to work in the UK.
Doh... you need a work permit to work in the UK. If you plan to stay longer than six months you also need a visa.

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/work_pe...ntering_uk.htm
Old May 27th 2008, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OP - do you have any European-born parents/grandparents?
Old May 27th 2008, 10:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
seeing as mosty people on here are expats in the us - we are probably not the most knowlegable about the other way? Try the yankie in the uk forums they would have a lot more info and experience i would expect.
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/
Old May 28th 2008, 1:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Are you married to an EU national? That'll make it easier...saying that, getting a work permit is pretty easy if you've got an employer, not cheap, but it's nothing like the hassle of the US.

And you'll need the employer first before heading over to work, and as mentioned, the workers holiday visa ain't a goer as a yank, as that's a reciprocal program and the US doesn't take part unfortunately.
Old May 28th 2008, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

No
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Are you married to an EU national? That'll make it easier...saying that, getting a work permit is pretty easy if you've got an employer, not cheap, but it's nothing like the hassle of the US.

And you'll need the employer first before heading over to work, and as mentioned, the workers holiday visa ain't a goer as a yank, as that's a reciprocal program and the US doesn't take part unfortunately.
hey

Thanks for the reply. I am a UK citizen, the boyfriend is the Yank. I wanted to go back to England for 4 months, and take him with, but it seems its not worth the hassle!!!!! Its weird, that he applied for the WHV and they invited him for fingerprints etc..................why would they do that if hes not eligible??? very confused!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. I am a UK citizen, the boyfriend is the Yank. I wanted to go back to England for 4 months, and take him with, but it seems its not worth the hassle!!!!! Its weird, that he applied for the WHV and they invited him for fingerprints etc..................why would they do that if hes not eligible??? very confused!!!!
It's dependent on citizenship, not location, so that's maybe why...but he'll be able to have a holiday for that length of time, its' 6 months in the UK I believe, he just won't be allowed to work.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
It's dependent on citizenship, not location, so that's maybe why...but he'll be able to have a holiday for that length of time, its' 6 months in the UK I believe, he just won't be allowed to work.
I think the idea of not working for 4 months is a little worrying, which is fair enough.
Oh well, will have to change our plans. I am awaiting Canadian Citizenship, so I can take advantage of the TN, but its seems I am months away, as I have just lodged it last month.
Bc is fine, but its sooooooooooooooooooooooo yesterday
Thanks again for taking the time to reply