Reload this Page >

US Citizen Lived all my life in UK

US Citizen Lived all my life in UK

Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

USAcitizenINuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizen Lived all my life in UK

I hope this is the right place to post.

I was born in the UK before 1983 and have lived here for 28 years of my 29 year life. I was educated here and I have a UK birth certificate, NI number, NHS card and driving license.

As far as I know because I was born before 1983 I became a UK citizen at birth.

Because of my mother I was able to become a US citizen which my parents arranged for me at a very young age.

Would this have affected my birth right UK citizenship in any way?

I ask because I have a job offer with a a UK Public body and they are saying I cant work for them because I would have given up my right to UK Citizenship once I became a US citizen.

If I still am considered a UK citizen (as well as US) is there a link to an official document I can use to demonstrate this to my potential employer.

Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen Lived all my life in UK

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...alnationality/

Many people are dual US/UK citizens.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

I've read that link before it says:

You will not normally lose your British nationality if you become a citizen or national of another country. If you are a British subject otherwise than by connection with the Republic of Ireland you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship. If you are a British protected person you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship.

If you are becoming a citizen or national of a country that does not allow dual nationality, you may be required by that country to give up your British nationality.

So I guess what I need to know is does the USA make you give up your nationality when you become a citizen? A link on the US site would probably confirm this but I cant find it
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAcitizenINuk
So I guess what I need to know is does the USA make you give up your nationality when you become a citizen? A link on the US site would probably confirm this but I cant find it
If you take the oath to become a US citizen you in that oath give up all previous citizenships.

The UK government does not recognize that oath as you giving up your UK citizenship, and as you are US by birth you never took the oath anyway. To give up UK citizenship you have to do so formally in writing.

Many on here are duel UK/US national, I apply tomorrow for my US citizenship and will eventually be a dual national as I will not give up my UK nationality.

My wife is a duel US/UK citizen and has UK and US passports. The US Supreme Court has upheld a US citizens right to hold duel nationality.

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 20th 2009 at 9:59 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Ok so this sounds like I'm still a UK citizen then,

Is there an official document that states this I can show my employer?
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:11 pm

Ok so this sounds like I'm still a UK citizen then,

Is there an official document that states this I can show my employer?
UK passport if you have one as it says on it British Citizen

Birth certificate but from what you say they are claiming not sure that one would help.

In your circumstances not sure there is anything else. Like all of us born in the UK unless you have a passport there isn't anything officially saying you are British.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

It looks like I can prove that I was definitely a British citizen at birth because anyone born in the UK before 1983 is automatically is a British citizen.

I need an official document (a government we page will probably do) that says that by becoming a US citizen I didn't automatically lose my UK citizenship.

My employer is disputing that even though I was born British I am no longer deemed a UK citizen because I became a US citizen.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like I can prove that I was definitely a British citizen at birth because anyone born in the UK before 1983 is automatically is a British citizen.

I need an official document (a government we page will probably do) that says that by becoming a US citizen I didn't automatically lose my UK citizenship.

My employer is disputing that even though I was born British I am no longer deemed a UK citizen because I became a US citizen.
Just apply for a UK passport. It's a useful thing to have anyway.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:37 pm

Well I gave you a URL to the Home Office UK Border Agency page which says you don't lose your nationality.

If your employer is claiming you do I would suggest you ask them to prove such a statement.

As Fatbrit and I have suggested a UK passport will prove everything.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Because of my mother I was able to become a US citizen
You are British and your prospective employer is wrong. But just out of interest to help your case, what nationality is your father?
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

You never became a US citizen. I'm afraid the moment you dropped out of the womb, you were a yank

At the US Embassy you basically went through a procedure that acknowledged that fact.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help guys this has really reassured me. I needed to know quickly because this job offer involves study support and my lectures start in 2 weeks!

To answer the above poster my father was born Italian at birth and moved to the UK when he was 12 years old with his parents. Im not sure of his status but hes lived and run his own business in the uk since then and hes 62 now!

Hobbes not sure what you mean? you're saying I was never a US citizen but I'm a yank?
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the help guys this has really reassured me. I needed to know quickly because this job offer involves study support and my lectures start in 2 weeks!

To answer the above poster my father was born Italian at birth and moved to the UK when he was 12 years old with his parents. Im not sure of his status but hes lived and run his own business in the uk since then and hes 62 now!

Hobbes not sure what you mean? you're saying I was never a US citizen but I'm a yank?
Hobbes is using "yank" as slang for US citizen and is saying that you didn't "become" one you were one as soon as you were born!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You never became a US citizen. I'm afraid the moment you dropped out of the womb, you were a yank

At the US Embassy you basically went through a procedure that acknowledged that fact.
hobbes took my post.. you didn't become a US citizen, you were born one. You were born with both citizenships (maybe Italian too and you didn't even know).

I'll bet if you scan through Rich Wales' FAQ you'll find the confirmation your employer seems to want (how did your US citizenship come up by the way?)
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

you're saying I was never a US citizen but I'm a yank?
While some in the southern states would agree with you, I was just using a slang term.

Sorry to cause any confusion!

To clarify, you're a USC and always have been.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.