us citizen Divorce

Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

gjpw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default us citizen Divorce

In Brief
I live and work in UK
Married a us citizen in sc.
Married primarily to look after Her 2 children if she passed away as She had cancer.
Travelled twice a year ,2 or 3 weeks at a time to states to support until I was supposed to be moving later this year. All totally legal visits.
Did not apply for visa etc.This was to happen when I actually moved to states.
Married just under 2 years.
She has now met someone local in SC so I'm surplus to requirements.
No joint Bank acc. No property in Joint names.
She is filing and wants a quick divorce obtained and paperwork online which she has said she will forward.
She is suddenly saying she could have half my home in UK?
Do I have to do anything or is this all rubbish talk.
Any advice appreciated. I was told I actually could be difficult and not sign anything. I'm not that bitter,YET

Last edited by gjpw; Jan 18th 2017 at 5:12 pm. Reason: missed something
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: us citizen Divorce

The divorce can be quick if you don't contest what she wants. If you do, you'll probably need a lawyer to counter what she wants.

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2017, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A negotiating ploy, divorce her in the UK?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjpw
I never even registered it here in uk Didn't get around to it.
That said how can she be entitled to anything when she contributed nothing. I owned before I met her. She has never been on any bill etc. I never actually lived with her in states either. Only visited in effect. Plus if She can claim off of me then does it not work both ways. The children were not mine. Its all a mess really . I'm lucky I didn't quit my job as was planned and move out.
You can file where you live, no matter where you married.

Generally in the US and the UK spouses split assets approximately 50:50 unless there is a pre-nup; generally this is true no matter what assets each spouse brought into the marriage and no matter how long the marriage lasted. You may have made a very expensive mistake.

(i) you need legal advice, and you need it now!

(ii) after having obtained competent legal advice, the best alternative may be to offer $x,000 for a quick settlement, or threaten to contest the divorce and drag it out as long as possible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 18th 2017 at 7:34 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

See a lawyer. Don't sign anything or agree to anything until you see a lawyer.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to register the marriage in the UK - the treaty between the UK and US means a marriage in one country is valid in the other.

- She is filing and wants a quick divorce obtained and paperwork online which she has said she will forward.
- She is suddenly saying she could have half my home in UK?

Is she only saying that as you are not obliging her with a quick divorce?

Based on she could have half your home in the UK - I would be giving her the quick divorce she wants.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you're legally married in the US, there's nothing to register in the UK.

Not having applied for an immigration visa would have worked against you if you were planning to move and then file anyway. You MUST remain in the UK for the application (although you could still visit), but all that is moot now.

By the same token, noit having applied could work in your favour as it proves that the marriage was not completely 'normal' and may well have an effect on any entitlement.

This is clearly a job for a lawyer and I suggest you find one asap. The circumstances are not 'normal', so it's almost impossible for anyone to give advice outside of someone with professional or actual experience.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually the issue is increase in values, which may be nothing.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Generally in the US and the UK spouses split assets approximately 50:50 unless there is a pre-nup; generally this is true no matter what assets each spouse brought into the marriage and no matter how long the marriage lasted. You may have made a very expensive mistake.

(i) you need legal advice, and you need it now!

(ii) after having obtained competent legal advice, your best bet may be to offer $x,000 for a quick settlement, or threaten to contest it and drag it out as long as possible.
The OP definitely needs legal advice. Having said that a house owned before the marriage (not sure whether that is the OP's situation) that is still titled to one person probably isn't marital property that can be divided on divorce. Assuming "SC" means South Carolina:

South Carolina Marital Property Laws - FindLaw

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 18th 2017 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? I was informed the 50/50 thing doesn't happen anymore. Especially if you don't have children together. I was informed you now have to literally prove you contributed? .....
Unless this advice was from a divorce lawyer I wouldn't believe a word of it. I have certainly never seen anything that you only get out what you put in, and a number of high-profile counter examples, which is why pre-nups are still as common as ever in the US.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice appreciated.
If your mom is still alive, then I suggest you get her to slap you silly... because if what you've written is true, then you're a complete fool.

Married primarily to look after Her 2 children if she passed away as She had cancer.
They aren't your children... that responsibility should have fallen to the children's father!

I'm not that bitter, YET
She has played you like a violin from day one. The children, by the way, are now your stepchildren... so if you don't want her to claim half your house in the UK, I suggest you file for custody of the children. You can drop your claim when she drops hers!

Ian
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

love is blind ian. Plus there was a serious possibility she wasn't going to be with us so I thought I was doing the right thing. Dad is absent no where to be seen at mo. Yeah get your point though
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

(i) you need legal advice, and you need it now!.
while I second all the calls for you to get legal advice in both the U.K. and US, I just wanted to comment on the 50:50 rule from a UK perspective. For short lived marriages, where there are no children, there is a current trend for the courts to divide the assets to return the two parties back to where they were before the marriage. Or as close as possible. This is what the government says: https://www.gov.uk/money-property-wh...-splits-assets It very well may be in your interests to get divorced in the UK if it really was a marriage of convenience and you can prove that.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yellowroom
while I second all the calls for you to get legal advice in both the U.K. and US, I just wanted to comment on the 50:50 rule from a UK perspective. For short lived marriages, where there are no children, there is a current trend for the courts to divide the assets to return the two parties back to where they were before the marriage. Or as close as possible. This is what the government says: https://www.gov.uk/money-property-wh...-splits-assets It very well may be in your interests to get divorced in the UK if it really was a marriage of convenience and you can prove that.

I'm awaiting on papers in post. She is now saying she just wants it to be sorted by papers she's got online. Of course ill have checked but she's skint so I am hoping she will just be happy for a straight forward no crap divorce. I am hoping she's just happy she will be able to get on with life. I did nothing wrong but she couldn't wait I guess This thread has got me more worried than I was
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for advice. I'm hoping she will be content at it being straight forward. She wont want legal fees either. This thread got me more worried than I was
All I had is in my name only and yes I had it before I married.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.