Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US birth certificates for UK born children

US birth certificates for UK born children

Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default US birth certificates for UK born children

Hi there,

Some of you may remember me. I am a USC born in the uk to my USC dad. I have a US birth certificate issued by the London Embassy as well as a UK birth certificate.

A year ago when I started the process of moving to the US i attempted to get US borth cert's for my kids at the LOndon Embassy but as I couldn't prove 5 years of domicile in the US I obtained green cards for the kids and once they landed on US soil they became citizens and they now have their US passports.

I would still like to get the kids US birth certificates in addition to their passports. Can you please advise me:

1) Am I stupid for wanting to do that?

2) How do I go about it?

3) Can I go about it? Are they eligibile to recieve birth certificates (as they werent last year)?

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US birth certificates for UK born children

Originally Posted by frank09
1) Am I stupid for wanting to do that?
No. But help me understand what it is you're after. As I understand it, you're trying to get the US to issue birth certificates that prove that your children were born... where? Or are you hoping that by having a US birth certificate, the question of whether or not they are US citizens becomes moot?

I think what you're after isn't a birth certificate, but a certificate of naturalization - something that proves they are US citizens... even if they lose their US passports! That would be form N-600.

Ian
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. But help me understand what it is you're after. As I understand it, you're trying to get the US to issue birth certificates that prove that your children were born... where? Or are you hoping that by having a US birth certificate, the question of whether or not they are US citizens becomes moot?

I think what you're after isn't a birth certificate, but a certificate of naturalization - something that proves they are US citizens... even if they lose their US passports! That would be form N-600.

Ian
Ian - You are indeed correct, I'm looking for something besides the passport that proves they are US citizens. Is it complicated to get the N-600?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ian - You are indeed correct, I'm looking for something besides the passport that proves they are US citizens. Is it complicated to get the N-600?
No it isn't complicated as far as I'm aware, but it is pricey.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is it complicated to get the N-600?
I've never filed an N-600, but I believe it's a fairly straightforward process. Download both the N-600 and the N-600 instructions from www.uscis.gov.

Ian
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

I've never filed an N-600, but I believe it's a fairly straightforward process. Download both the N-600 and the N-600 instructions from www.uscis.gov.

Ian
I have just looked, and the thing is, they already are citizens (seeing as they have the passports) and it is quite expensive seeing as I spent a small fortune on the passports.

However I do value the advice of people on here, should I just consider their passports as proof enough?

Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have just looked, and the thing is, they already are citizens (seeing as they have the passports) and it is quite expensive seeing as I spent a small fortune on the passports.

However I do value the advice of people on here, should I just consider their passports as proof enough?

Thanks
Passports are not sufficient long term proof of citizenship. Not only can they be lost or stolen easily, but they expire and sometimes citizenship has to be "re-proved" from scratch. That may be difficult or impossible to do in 20 years time.

There have also been cases, in both the USA and other countries, where passports have been issued by mistake to people who are not citizens.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:23 am
Account Closed

It's your choice, of course... but JAJ is right - and the future is always uncertain.

Ian
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

It's your choice, of course... but JAJ is right - and the future is always uncertain.

Ian
holy sh$% it $460!!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 2:38 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

holy sh$% it $460!!
Don't you love your children, frank?
(take it out of their allowance for the next 20 years)
Old Aug 20th 2010, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't you love your children, frank?
(take it out of their allowance for the next 20 years)
Dearly! But $460 each for a document that could be as much proof as the passports they already have??
Old Aug 20th 2010, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Dearly! But $460 each for a document that could be as much proof as the passports they already have??
Once again. Passports are not sufficient proof of citizenship.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

My husband situation was similar to you (us father) born in UK. He has dual citizen but had not lived in the US for 5 years domicile. So for our daughter we got a green card for me and her. When she arrived we applied for the naturalization certificate ($460) and then got her passport ($90.00). This was the best way around for us, even though it cost a bit!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
My husband situation was similar to you (us father) born in UK. He has dual citizen but had not lived in the US for 5 years domicile. So for our daughter we got a green card for me and her. When she arrived we applied for the naturalization certificate ($460) and then got her passport ($90.00). This was the best way around for us, even though it cost a bit!
Yup - Thats what I'll need to do but times 3!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The way fees have creeped upward for every document from USICS it will be a great deal more than $460 when you NEED a document in the future for some reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.