US bank account without Utility Bill - Green Card holder

Wikiposts

US bank account without Utility Bill - Green Card holder

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Fishlioni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US bank account without Utility Bill - Green Card holder

Hi,

I moved from the UK to the US last month on a permanent residency marriage visa. I'm still waiting on my greencard but I have just received my social security number. I would like to set up a US bank account but Chase bank have told me I need to have a utility bill to do this. All I have for proof of address is a final council tax bill from Birmingham City Council UK - sent to me US address and the Social security card letter. Does anyone know of any US banks that would accept either of these as proof of address to set up a US account? Thank you in advance for any help you can give! cheers!
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US bank account without Utility Bill - Green Card holder

Not everyone who opens a bank account is responsible for utilities. They are just giving the boilerplate example of what would work. I'd try both of your suggestions!
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Fishlioni is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Neil! Chase wont accept what i provided so looking for alternative options! Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 3:59 am
Just Joined

msk2uon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fishlioni
Hi,

I moved from the UK to the US last month on a permanent residency marriage visa. I'm still waiting on my greencard but I have just received my social security number. I would like to set up a US bank account but Chase bank have told me I need to have a utility bill to do this. All I have for proof of address is a final council tax bill from Birmingham City Council UK - sent to me US address and the Social security card letter. Does anyone know of any US banks that would accept either of these as proof of address to set up a US account? Thank you in advance for any help you can give! cheers!
I've found credit unions to be a lot more easier to work with. I'd try them first and then open a bank account. They tend to open to giving you credit cards too.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 4:18 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fishlioni
Hi,

People have reported success with showing a library card with their home address.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 5:29 am
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

When I opened my account with PNC within a few days of arriving in the USA, I took along my UK passport, UK driving licence, and a copy of the lease agreement which my wife had me added to shortly after our wedding (to give me some residence status).

I was able to open a checking account, and was told to come back once I had my SS card, so they could update their records.

4 years later, I'm still not on any utility bills, since my wife was (and still is) the named account holder.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 8:23 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

There are “app banks” targeted at immigrants, similar to Monzo or N26:

https://www.majority.com/en/
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

I found Chase to be the least useful and most obstructive bank when it came to opening an account with them. I do everything possible to avoid any dealing at all with them

My local credit union was pretty good

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 10:33 am
Just Joined

msk2uon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
I found Chase to be the least useful and most obstructive bank when it came to opening an account with them. I do everything possible to avoid any dealing at all with them

My local credit union was pretty good
Concur wholeheartedly with respect to Chase! I'd say the same about Wells Fargo!
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msk2uon
Concur wholeheartedly with respect to Chase! I'd say the same about Wells Fargo!
Honestly, the guy at the Chase branch was a smarmy jobs worth wanker. I felt like he was smirking as he denied opening my account (joint with US spouse and my IR-1 visa stamp and the government website saying it is in lieu of green card). No, can't do that, Head Office says no. I spoke with Chase corporate and they said it's a local decision.

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very easy time with Wells Fargo when I first arrived.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 10:48 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Chase has a very tight policy on the documents they will/won't accept for new arrivals.
Bank of America and Wells Fargo are much more helpful and easygoing in that regard. You don't have to keep these accounts forever either.
Does your work have affiliations with a credit union? That might be good, otherwise Credit Unions can also be tricky to join.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I had a very easy time with Wells Fargo when I first arrived.
+1 When I first arrived Wells Fargo went out of their way to be helpful.