Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help Required

Urgent Help Required

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

nickashby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent Help Required

Hi I really hope someone can offer me some advice as I'm pulling my hair out.
I am looking to try and move to USA to work maybe for a year or longer depending how it goes.
I work in customer service and having looked at all these recruitment sites it seems there is a lot of work available however trying to get to go to when I arrive appears to be extremely difficult. Ive tried applying for jobs and emailing employment agencies.
Just wondered if anyone can offer any advice on how to get this process moving.
Does anyone know where to find companies that have jobs offering H1 B visa's

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Nick
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:52 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help Required

Originally Posted by nickashby
Hi I really hope someone can offer me some advice as I'm pulling my hair out.
I am looking to try and move to USA to work maybe for a year or longer depending how it goes.
I work in customer service and having looked at all these recruitment sites it seems there is a lot of work available however trying to get to go to when I arrive appears to be extremely difficult. Ive tried applying for jobs and emailing employment agencies.
Just wondered if anyone can offer any advice on how to get this process moving.
Does anyone know where to find companies that have jobs offering H1 B visa's

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Nick
Sorry mate - probably ain't gonna happen, its pretty likely your field of expertise is not suitable for a h1-b

see if you can go and work for a company with offices in the US and get a transfer or..... find and marry a nice american chick...

also, are you just looking to get out of the uk? I see you posted in the oz forums.

check out canada

Last edited by BritGuyTN; Jul 2nd 2007 at 6:54 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:12 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is open to you if you want. You can go as a visitor, police checks in your luggage. Then secure employment that pays more than NZ$45K a year, then get your medicals done and you can get a work permit. Easy as the proverbial pie. The US is most likely closed to you, though.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Que?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:19 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
The US is most likely closed to you, though.
and to those of us already here waiting to change status in an employment based group:curse:

i hear its cold in zoo neeland at this time of year
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:02 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
and to those of us already here waiting to change status in an employment based group:curse:

i hear its cold in zoo neeland at this time of year
That's why we're not moving there until spring hits in September or so. And it's a ton worse on the South Island. They get snow (4-letter word) there, but they're free from it on the North Island, which is where we're headed, yippee!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments, it does seem US is a bit of a pain.
Yeah my intention is to get out of the UK and start a new life somewhere else, US, Oz and NZ are the 3 destinations I have looked in to.
So is NZ a lot easier to get into, also what would it be like finding Customer Service work over there, anybody had any good experiences?

Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:01 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
That's why we're not moving there until spring hits in September or so. And it's a ton worse on the South Island. They get snow (4-letter word) there, but they're free from it on the North Island, which is where we're headed, yippee!
Lucky you, My sister is in Timaru on the South island, mind you though rest of the family is on the North Island just outside Auckland
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:14 pm
Maz

Thanks for the comments, it does seem US is a bit of a pain.
Yeah my intention is to get out of the UK and start a new life somewhere else, US, Oz and NZ are the 3 destinations I have looked in to.
So is NZ a lot easier to get into, also what would it be like finding Customer Service work over there, anybody had any good experiences?

Thanks
You might have more success asking on the NZ forum. I would, however, counsel you not to move just to 'escape' the UK. Move to the country you move to because you want to be there, not just to get out of the UK, otherwise you risk ending up utterly miserable.

Originally Posted by Paul S
Lucky you, My sister is in Timaru on the South island, mind you though rest of the family is on the North Island just outside Auckland
Hee hee I'll bet she's loving winter. Dorkland eh? A friend of mine who spent 10 years there said winter up there was like living in a warm sponge.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I work in customer service...
no chance with that....you got any other experience or degree behind you?

check out the wiki for the ways into the US....perhaps go the student route, or BUNAC if it's just for a year.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

I have a BA Business degree if that is of any use and 3 years experience in my current role.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I have a BA Business degree if that is of any use and 3 years experience in my current role.
Does this describe your job? If not, you need to look for a different route because you will have no chance of a h-1b. Something tells me that customer service is not a business specialty.

"A specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. For example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology, and the arts are specialty occupations."
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:24 pm
What are you - 8?

LindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to behold

Well that should qualify you to move to India and get a job doing USA Customer service ... that is where all the US customer service jobs are going now.

Lindabb
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you are eligible for the H1B. You should consider:

a) a Masters degree in Business -- attending a US uni for 2 years and then getting 1 year practical work experience (which you can use to find someone to get you a H1 sponsorship)

b) Working for a US company over in the UK and getting sent to the US through their system

c) Marrying an American.

Yup...not a lot of other options I think.