Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent help needed - B2 or visa waiver?

Urgent help needed - B2 or visa waiver?

Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help needed - B2 or visa waiver?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What type of job do you have which allows numerous amounts of leave since last October (you have been in the US since January you say) and will also give you a 6 month sabbatical until October?

I should think this would be a major red flag - you don't appear to have strong ties with the UK at all.
+ 1

Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

supercat68 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked for a hotel company that has a lot of business coming from the Us. Originally I was here on sales calls and attending a showcase etc. hence all the business trips. Now my boss genuinely wants me to work for him and so has agreed to let me take 6 months off to travel and return in October. My parents and all my friends are in the uk, I have a flat there. I have a job - what other strong ties can I show???
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Chaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by supercat68
I worked for a hotel company that has a lot of business coming from the Us. Originally I was here on sales calls and attending a showcase etc. hence all the business trips. Now my boss genuinely wants me to work for him and so has agreed to let me take 6 months off to travel and return in October. My parents and all my friends are in the uk, I have a flat there. I have a job - what other strong ties can I show???
I sent you an email via BritExpats - did you receive it? Check your spam folder in case it has gone in there.

All the best to you.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chaufeurse
I sent you an email via BritExpats - did you receive it? Check your spam folder in case it has gone in there.

All the best to you.
I did get it - thank you. My current esta is still valid - should I still get another one?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I did get it - thank you. My current esta is still valid - should I still get another one?
If your current ESTA is valid why do you need another one?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

The previous poster said to renew it before the b2 interview?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

I can't think why. It wouldn't give you any benefit whatsoever that I'm aware of.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You say you 'worked' for an hotel company in a sales capacity - sounds like this was a short term contract type of job?

Are you going to be paid by this company during the 6 months away (this is the usual case with say, taking an academic/professional sabbatical) or have you been offered a job (paid)when you return in October?

Have you an employment letter, stating salary being paid during the 6 months away. Could make all the difference.

Sorry to be so pedantic but in my working experience there are few commercial companies willing to give 6 months (paid) sabbaticals to regular (non executive/director) employees.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

I'm a sales and marketing director of a luxury brand. They are doing a restructure and so are happy for me to take the 6 months and return in October. I have a letter from them saying that they employ me and have agreed for me to return in oct. it doesn't state whether I'll be getting paid or not - should it and if so, should I be getting paid or not?!
Old Apr 14th 2012, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a sales and marketing director of a luxury brand. They are doing a restructure and so are happy for me to take the 6 months and return in October. I have a letter from them saying that they employ me and have agreed for me to return in oct. it doesn't state whether I'll be getting paid or not - should it and if so, should I be getting paid or not?!
Well are you being paid or not? only you can say; however I don't know of anyone who goes on sabbatical and loses 6 months of salary.

If, as a salaried person, you are getting your full annual salary and still being given 6 months off then you are being paid, and you have a definite job to go back to in October. For example I have a relative who is a college professor. He really does get sabbaticals - one every 5 years - when he draws his annual salary but is allowed to go off and research, write papers to his heart's content, and he does not need to check in at the College for months.

If on the other hand your salary ends when you start the 6 months sabbatical and starts again when you return in October you are not being paid, nor are you on sabbatical - and whether you have a job to go back to in October is a moot point.

I'm just trying to ascertain whether or not you really have a job during the 6 months off.

Think of me as the Embassy official at your interview, attempting to deduce if you really have a job to go back to in October or whether you'll stay with your new boyfriend
Old Apr 14th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

The previous poster said that if your B2 is denied then you will have to apply for a new ESTA as it will invalidate your old one. You will have to declare the visa denial on the new ESTA which may well lead to it being denied.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, you may yet be successful. It would be great if you could come back and let us know how you got on. Good luck.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Would I be better off rescheduling the embassy appointment for 3 months time and do another trip on the Vwp? Could I be refused entry at lax?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would I be better off rescheduling the embassy appointment for 3 months time and do another trip on the Vwp? Could I be refused entry at lax?
Could you be refused entry? Yes, you could. Will you? That is anybody's guess.

You have been in the States for three months. After 2 weeks back in the UK you travel again to the States - for another 60 days you say.

You have already been told its better to spend as much time out of the US as in when on the VWP.

Sorry, I don't know what the ramifications are if you cancell the interview. Someone else will be along to inform you I'm sure.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
... it's still not the end of the world - you may not see each other much over the next year or so but he can visit you and it's definitely doable.
Or both of them could meet up in a third country... Canada, for example!

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Should I reschedule the appointment and come back on the Vwp for another 60 days? I booked a holiday to Hawaii in June - can I still go there??
Once you apply for a visa, there are only two possible outcomes: approval or denial. Anything that isn't an approval, is a denial... anything - and that denial must then be disclosed on every subsequent visa application including ESTA.

You can certainly try to reschedule the appointment, but if the reschedule information doesn't get to the person who has your case file, your visa will be summarily denied when you don't show up for your appointment.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.