Urgent H1B Question

Urgent H1B Question

Old Nov 21st 2002, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

rodeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Urgent H1B Question

Hi all;

I have a query.

I have an approved H1B visa, but am presently outside the USA, and am back in my home country.

Sine I have been looking for an assignment for over 3 months from overseas, I would like to go to the US and look for a job.

My question is :

Can I travel to the US without a job offer in hand.!

While there I has paid towards the legal expenses for the visa anyways to the company attorney...~
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 4:29 am
Xen
Just Joined

Xen is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're not currently being paid by your US sponsor, then 3 months is likely to have put you 'out of status'. For a H1B transfer, INS usually request a copy of your last pay stub.

You can always enter the US on a Visa Waiver and look for work, however without the pay stubs the new employer would probably have to sponsor you for a new H1B which would be subject to the usual delays and H1 caps.
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 10:21 am
Just Joined

rodeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default But am Overseas at the moment

I am overseas in Indai at the moment.

Can I travel back in the US now, and look for a job.

I may have a few leads closed in prior to my departure, clients would need to meet me in person to decide. (my profile = Information Architect). Most deciding factors are negotiated in person.

When called at the consulate here was told to go in with a busines visa and once receipt of a job offer, get back into H1 status with the already existing H1B approval.

Is this something that is commonly done. ?
Not sure understand the complete procedure.

Would appreciate any feedback .

thanks once again, in advance

~ Rodeo

Originally posted by Xen
If you're not currently being paid by your US sponsor, then 3 months is likely to have put you 'out of status'. For a H1B transfer, INS usually request a copy of your last pay stub.

You can always enter the US on a Visa Waiver and look for work, however without the pay stubs the new employer would probably have to sponsor you for a new H1B which would be subject to the usual delays and H1 caps.
Old Nov 26th 2002, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Michael E. Piston is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort of. When you find a job ask the new employer to file a new H-1B petition upon your behalf. You will be authorized to be employed while the petition is pending. If you come in on a B-1 visa then you may change your status in the U.S., subject to certain limitations beyond the scope of this discussion. However, if you enter on a visa waiver, then when the petition is approved you will have to go to a consulate and apply for a visa. Further, if you are on a visa waiver, the filing of an H-1B petition does not authorize you to remain in the U.S. after the expiration of your 90 day visiting period.