Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

An update...WE MADE IT!

An update...WE MADE IT!

Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of
Default An update...WE MADE IT!

Hi everyone,
You'll recall I was waiting for a revised offer to move to NY from my company.

ITS IN...we'll be over in 3 months! Deal was much improved and the company are looking after us.

The hard work starts now. Renting our house here given the current market isn't great for selling and we'll come back to a nice house (hopefully) if we decide not to stay more than a year or two.

Anyone got any tips from your experiences on where to start?

Looking forward to chatting with you all more.

Daz
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update...WE MADE IT!

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
The hard work starts now. Renting our house here given the current market isn't great for selling and we'll come back to a nice house (hopefully) if we decide not to stay more than a year or two.
Investigate when you will open yourself up to US CGT if you decide to stay.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Investigate when you will open yourself up to US CGT if you decide to stay.
I take it that it only impacts if you buy/sell houses and not any other stuff?

We'll be renting for at least the first 12 months.

Daz
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I take it that it only impacts if you buy/sell houses and not any other stuff?

We'll be renting for at least the first 12 months.

Daz
CGT covers lots of stuff -- particular nasty on selling foreign investments which "made" money on the collapsing dollar at the moment.

For the house, there's an exemption for your primary residence. You'd better get digging at irs.gov.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:56 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

congrats
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
You'll recall I was waiting for a revised offer to move to NY from my company.

ITS IN...we'll be over in 3 months! Deal was much improved and the company are looking after us.

Anyone got any tips from your experiences on where to start?

Looking forward to chatting with you all more.

Daz
Congratulations on your upcoming move!

We just got here (Plano, Texas) a couple of weeks ago - hubby is on an L1a and I'm here on an L2.

I'm sure you'll get loads of support from your company, but here's a quick braindump of the things we did (in no particular order)...

Tax - we had a consultation with a UK tax advisor - we needed to file a form (P85 iirc) to register as non resident in the uk. There is also an NRL1 to register as overseas landlord so you don't pay tax on the rental income. Once I had finished work and got my P45 I also filled in a form (can't remember the number of that one) to claim back whatever I can of tax from this year.

Shipping - hubby's company paid for this - we just had to book them. However, I did have to decide what to send air freight, ship freight and take with us in personal suitcases.

Housing in US - will you have the opportunity to make a house hunting trip? we did this about 6 - 8 weeks before we came over and we found that really useful. We did this after we had had our interview at the embassy, so we used our visas. With that in hand, we were able to sign a lease on a house, enrol our son in a school and open a bank account. Making it all a lot easier when we got here full time.

Cars - as others on here will testify, if you need car(s) it's well worth hooking into AIG - they can help with that, and rental in the meantime.

Schools (don't know if you need this or not)- we actually had help from some kind of consultant who was meant to help us find a suitable school - in
reality, greatschools.net was a good as anything in making choices.

I think that's the main big ticket items I can think of - I'm sure others will chip in....

Feel free to ask any questions....

Rebecca
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:52 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Congratulations on your upcoming move!

We just got here (Plano, Texas) a couple of weeks ago - hubby is on an L1a and I'm here on an L2.

I'm sure you'll get loads of support from your company, but here's a quick braindump of the things we did (in no particular order)...

Tax - we had a consultation with a UK tax advisor - we needed to file a form (P85 iirc) to register as non resident in the uk. There is also an NRL1 to register as overseas landlord so you don't pay tax on the rental income. Once I had finished work and got my P45 I also filled in a form (can't remember the number of that one) to claim back whatever I can of tax from this year.

Shipping - hubby's company paid for this - we just had to book them. However, I did have to decide what to send air freight, ship freight and take with us in personal suitcases.

Housing in US - will you have the opportunity to make a house hunting trip? we did this about 6 - 8 weeks before we came over and we found that really useful. We did this after we had had our interview at the embassy, so we used our visas. With that in hand, we were able to sign a lease on a house, enrol our son in a school and open a bank account. Making it all a lot easier when we got here full time.

Cars - as others on here will testify, if you need car(s) it's well worth hooking into AIG - they can help with that, and rental in the meantime.

Schools (don't know if you need this or not)- we actually had help from some kind of consultant who was meant to help us find a suitable school - in
reality, greatschools.net was a good as anything in making choices.

I think that's the main big ticket items I can think of - I'm sure others will chip in....

Feel free to ask any questions....

Rebecca
So Rebecca, how are you finding Plano?

Hot enough for you?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

lol we certainly picked a time to start our stay here, didn't we?

We like it fine enough, so far.

It's only been two weeks, and we've been so busy these last couple of weeks that we've not had time to get hit with homesickness yet - I'm sure that will come along in good time.

Finding our feet with the supermarkets, commute to work for hubby, meeting a couple of the neighbours, that kind of thing.

How do you like Plano?