Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unwarranted snooping

Unwarranted snooping

Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Unwarranted snooping

For those that are worried about big brother snooping, heres an exceprt from last months Time magazine:

Has Bush Gone Too Far?
The President's secret directive to let the NSA snoop without warrants sets off a furor

"Jan. 9, 2006
In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, White House officials were haunted by two questions. Were there other terrorists lying in wait within the U.S.? And, given how freely the 19 hijackers had been able to operate before they acted, how would we know where to find them? It didn't take long before an aggressive idea emerged from the circle of Administration hawks. Liberalize the rules for domestic spying, they urged. Free the National Security Agency (NSA) to use its powerful listening technology to eavesdrop on terrorist suspects on U.S. soil without having to seek a warrant for every phone number it tracked. But because of a 1978 law that forbids the NSA to conduct no-warrant surveillance inside the U.S., the new policy would require one of two steps. The first was to revise the law. The other was to ignore it.

In the end, George Bush tried the first. When that failed, he opted for the second. In 2002 he issued a secret Executive Order to allow the NSA to eavesdrop without a warrant on phone conversations, e-mail and other electronic communications, even when at least one party to the exchange was in the U.S......
"

I can post the link to the full article but only subscribers can view it.

This only became public knowledge when it was leaked just before christmas. Now they are holding an inquiry - not to determine if they acted legally - but to see how it was leaked.

What do you make of this?

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Jan 10th 2006 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:34 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Brother

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
For those that are worried about big brother snooping, heres an exceprt from last months Time magazine:

"Jan. 9, 2006
In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, White House officials were haunted by two questions. Were there other terrorists lying in wait within the U.S.? And, given how freely the 19 hijackers had been able to operate before they acted, how would we know where to find them? It didn't take long before an aggressive idea emerged from the circle of Administration hawks. Liberalize the rules for domestic spying, they urged. Free the National Security Agency (NSA) to use its powerful listening technology to eavesdrop on terrorist suspects on U.S. soil without having to seek a warrant for every phone number it tracked. But because of a 1978 law that forbids the NSA to conduct no-warrant surveillance inside the U.S., the new policy would require one of two steps. The first was to revise the law. The other was to ignore it.

In the end, George Bush tried the first. When that failed, he opted for the second. In 2002 he issued a secret Executive Order to allow the NSA to eavesdrop without a warrant on phone conversations, e-mail and other electronic communications, even when at least one party to the exchange was in the U.S......
"

I can post the link but only subscribers can view it.

On a semi-related note, if you want to access websites that require you to register first (eg many newspapers) check out www.bugmenot.com for user ids and passwords.
Not sure if this applies to TIME or not (I don't know if you have to pay to subscribe or not) but thought some might find it useful
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unwarranted snooping

Has Bush Gone Too Far?
The President's secret directive to let the NSA snoop without warrants sets off a furor

"Jan. 9, 2006

"

I can post the link to the full article but only subscribers can view it.

This only became public knowledge when it was leaked just before christmas. Now they are holding an inquiry - not to determine if they acted legally - but to see how it was leaked.

It's the 'without a warrant' part that worries me; if they think someone is a terrorist, they should have the evidence to prove it to a judge to obtain a warrant.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Jan 10th 2006 at 4:04 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:45 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It's the 'without a warrant' part that worries me; if they think someone is a terrorist, they should have the eveidence to prove it to a judge to obtain a warrant.
That's a bit like the UK law that allows the police to gun you down if they believe that you may be about to cause imminent (sp) danger to the public. It's their word against yours essentially.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
That's a bit like the UK law that allows the police to gun you down if they believe that you may be about to cause imminent (sp) danger to the public. It's their word against yours essentially.
On a plus note, its stopped people running on tube platforms now!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Going slightly off topic but still under the subject of snooping, I've just had a phone call from my friend who is at work in NYC. She's just employed a Filipina nanny (mother of six!) and has just bought a nanny-cam to spy on her.

Her previous nannies/au pairs mistreated her son so she wants to keep a careful watch on her latest nanny (whom appears to be in her 60s).
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Going slightly off topic but still under the subject of snooping, I've just had a phone call from my friend who is at work in NYC. She's just employed a Filipina nanny (mother of six!) and has just bought a nanny-cam to spy on her.

Her previous nannies/au pairs mistreated her son so she wants to keep a careful watch on her latest nanny (whom appears to be in her 60s).
Has she consulted a lawyer first?

I've heard of that backfiring on people because they were supposed to let the employee know they might be spied on using video equipment.

Might have just been in the UK though.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Jan 10th 2006 at 7:10 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Well good for her, I would find it near on impossible to trust anyone with my child.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

it.
In the end, George Bush tried the first. When that failed, he opted for the second. In 2002 he issued a secret Executive Order to allow the NSA to eavesdrop without a warrant on phone conversations, e-mail and other electronic communications, even when at least one party to the exchange was in the U.S......[/I]"
Pretty common thing amongst most goverments...
the telephone listening centre for the UK ..is a plain white factory building in
the back end of Croydon in Surrey ..
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:32 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well good for her, I would find it near on impossible to trust anyone with my child.
Me too. That's why we chose to never employ a child minder/baby sitter etc. We made it a rule that one of us would be with our son at all times, unless we had family available to look after him. This may change once he is old enough to talk & let us know if there is anything wrong. As of yet, this has worked perfectly & I know my son is very lucky to always have one of his parents around.

Good for her, I'd have the nanny cam too!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
the telephone listening centre for the UK ..is a plain white factory building in

Oh yea its gone on since there ever was communications. My point was the leaking of the info seemed odd.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Run by computers though, not humans.

Having people listening to every phone call is pointless.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yea its gone on since there ever was communications. My point was the leaking of the info seemed odd.
It could have been a newbie who thought it was new news! Or it was a cleverly leaked document?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Run by computers though, not humans.

Having people listening to every phone call is pointless.
Well its been some time I agree .. but it was people based originally ..but no doubt computers listen for essential words nowadays
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:16 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Partystar
It could have been a newbie who thought it was new news! Or it was a cleverly leaked document?
I seem to remember the same leak from the last few presidents ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.