Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

Originally Posted by Michael
I do understand why US airlines have been able to raise prices to Europe since European airlines raised prices to offset higher oil prices so they are competing on a price basis.

What I don't understand is why US airlines have not done the same in the US. I can still purchase round trip tickets from San Francisco to New York for under $300 and San Francisco to Los Angeles for about $125. Compared to a price of about $235 for a round trip between London and Paris, the US prices are dirt cheap.

I understand that the US airlines are keeping the prices low to compete but it just seems that they will all go out of business if they don't significantly raise the prices.
Wait till after October. You'll see a significant price increase as well as reductions on the number of flights domestically. You'll get your wanted price increase
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Wait till after October. You'll see a significant price increase as well as reductions on the number of flights domestically. You'll get your wanted price increase
I don't want the price increase. Its just that with about a dozen airlines going bankrupt over the last year, I would have thought that at least one of the major airlines would have already tried to significantly increase the ticket prices more than those luggage and oil surcharges.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't want the price increase. Its just that with about a dozen airlines going bankrupt over the last year, I would have thought that at least one of the major airlines would have already tried to significantly increase the ticket prices more than those luggage and oil surcharges.
The simple reason is, they can't. The US aviation market is so competitive compared to Europe or elsewhere. What's been happening is they have been merging. US Airways with America West, and very soon Delta with Northwest. By doing this they think they can absorb the higher gas costs etc without passing it on to the customer, at least in theory. I doubt it'll stop them from adding indirect fees though if they can get away with it Southwest is the only major US airline that hasn't added indirect fees but that's because they are paying last year's oil price instead of this year's. Eventually I think they probably will follow suit.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The simple reason is, they can't. The US aviation market is so competitive compared to Europe or elsewhere. What's been happening is they have been merging. US Airways with America West, and very soon Delta with Northwest. By doing this they think they can absorb the higher gas costs etc without passing it on to the customer, at least in theory. I doubt it'll stop them from adding indirect fees though if they can get away with it Southwest is the only major US airline that hasn't added indirect fees but that's because they are paying last year's oil price instead of this year's. Eventually I think they probably will follow suit.
The European market has become pretty competitive with all the low cost carriers. What's not as competitive is the transatlantic market that has suffered from the Bermuda Convention (until last year) and the lack of gates at major airports. Now that an open skies agreement is in force I expect the transatlantic market to become less of a gravy train for the major airlines like BA. Iirc, BA was making about half their total profit from that market!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

southwest announced yesterday its cutting flights but funnily its not so much in the media today.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to topic, I haven't eaten airline food for years. Can't even stand the smell of the stuff.

For transatlantic flights, I have something an hour before getting on the plane, and take a home-made sandwich to eat half-way across. Together with a bit of chocolate, that's plenty enough to keep me going until landing.

The only things I will accept off the crew are diet cola and water!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

The only things I will accept off the crew are diet cola and water!
They'll be charging you for the water too
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:38 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
most US airports don't sell cold beer in the terminal.
I'm very confused at this statement
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:25 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Me too, plenty in phoenix, chicago, new york, las vegas and atlanta, but thats all I have been to.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:11 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Did you read the clarification afterwards?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:50 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

If the jelly round a pork pie isn't classed as a liquid, I'll be alright I reckon. With some spring onions, couple of hard boiled eggs, dollop of branston and some crisps the only explosive device going through the TSA screening would be my arse.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The European market has become pretty competitive with all the low cost carriers. What's not as competitive is the transatlantic market that has suffered from the Bermuda Convention (until last year) and the lack of gates at major airports. Now that an open skies agreement is in force I expect the transatlantic market to become less of a gravy train for the major airlines like BA. Iirc, BA was making about half their total profit from that market!
I'm not so sure about that:

The collapse of low-cost transatlantic airline Zoom has left 4,500 UK passengers stranded abroad while up to 60,000 have lost bookings, according to the Civil Aviation Authority.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7587579.stm
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They'll be charging you for the water too
oh god.. just the thought has my mouth drooling!! branston piccle and pork pies !!!

and its best i dont tell u about the water!!!!! If someone comes around with water with no label on the bottle DONT DRINK IT!!!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
oh god.. just the thought has my mouth drooling!! branston piccle and pork pies !!!

and its best i dont tell u about the water!!!!! If someone comes around with water with no label on the bottle DONT DRINK IT!!!!!!
could be worse, could be the recycled water out of the shit tank

anyway, for snacks, my mother brought over about 25kg's of sweets and various chocs...lovely
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
could be worse, could be the recycled water out of the shit tank

anyway, for snacks, my mother brought over about 25kg's of sweets and various chocs...lovely
my sister bought me over 3kgs of Haribo cola bottles as well as other goodies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.