Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:24 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about
Default United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

So, sooner or later, this was likely to surface. Looks like United will start selling food boxes on all european flights from Washington Dulles (IAD) Oct 1st, apparently for a 3 month trial. No more complementary "Chicken or Beef Sir"!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859172

First the booze, now the grub. Nothing heard from Virgin/BA yet, but 8 hours with a measly sandwich and string-cheese thing!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

Over priced rubbish...and they know they can get away with it if other airlines do the same, because you can't get the stuff on the plane yourself.

Don't think BA have plans to do this, though my mother just came over and was in business class, freebie, and service was pretty nice compared to the cattle class, which also wasn't that shabby compared to others.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:15 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

If only the airport catering would pick up to e.g. Marks & Sparks To Go levels. Of course the bugger is the alcohol - you're not allowed to drink your own on US planes and most US airports don't sell cold beer in the terminal.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

Originally Posted by Voltore
So, sooner or later, this was likely to surface. Looks like United will start selling food boxes on all european flights from Washington Dulles (IAD) Oct 1st, apparently for a 3 month trial. No more complementary "Chicken or Beef Sir"!

First the booze, now the grub. Nothing heard from Virgin/BA yet, but 8 hours with a measly sandwich and string-cheese thing!
I know US airlines are having a hard time of it but...

http://blog.newsok.com/whereto/2008/...on-us-airways/

The thing is, how have the other airlines worldwide been able to continue without having to resort to silly cost-cutting measures? Especially given gas prices are much higher than the USA. I'm in the aviation business but I do think the US airlines are pushing it for what they can get.

Example: Round trip coach class flight across the pond for about $1000+ (if you're lucky). East coast 8hr flight. Round trip coach class to the Philippines for about the same from the West coast 12.5hr flight.

Reason: There's more money to be made on the transatlantic routes than to the Philippines or Hawaii. People don't want to spend extra $$ going to Hawaii because they are on vacation. Most going to the Philippines are locals who probably don't have much $$ to spare.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
The thing is, how have the other airlines worldwide been able to continue without having to resort to silly cost-cutting measures?
by not having to pay all past and present employees healthcare I would imagine.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: United will start Buy your Food on Transatlantic Flights..

Originally Posted by Manc
Actually, BA had a lot of problems with the benefits when they privatized. They did some very generous compensation packages for those who took early retirement. Just in the past year or so, they were battling with the unions again.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I've always wondered whether it would take the bankruptcy of one of the "big three" carmakers to make this country realize that associating helathcare with employment is a crap idea both for employees and companies. I guess that same argument can be extended to the big airlines too.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:29 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voltore

How about getting rid of those old battle axes on United, getting some hot stewardesses in mini skirts like the old days and starting a ' **** your favorite hottie in the ass for $100.00' program.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
If only the airport catering would pick up to e.g. Marks & Sparks To Go levels. Of course the bugger is the alcohol - you're not allowed to drink your own on US planes and most US airports don't sell cold beer in the terminal.
Really? I flew from Logan a week last Thursday and was fortunate enough to be able to relax and unwind at a Nantucket Brewery tap adjacent to the foodcourt airside at Terminal B. Very, very civilized indeed, but didn't realise how lucky I was!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I've always wondered whether it would take the bankruptcy of one of the "big three" carmakers to make this country realize that associating helathcare with employment is a crap idea both for employees and companies. I guess that same argument can be extended to the big airlines too.
absolutely.

I agree 100%

it's no coincidence that Ford's most profitable factories are Halewood and Dagenham.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
Really? I flew from Logan a week last Thursday and was fortunate enough to be able to relax and unwind at a Nantucket Brewery tap adjacent to the foodcourt airside at Terminal B. Very, very civilized indeed, but didn't realise how lucky I was!

Once you are through security it is usually possible to get a beer. But unlike the UK, there are usually few chances to have a drink before you've de-and re-shoed
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

next they will be charging everytime you use the loo
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
next they will be charging everytime you use the loo
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=2627201
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I know US airlines are having a hard time of it but...

http://blog.newsok.com/whereto/2008/...on-us-airways/

The thing is, how have the other airlines worldwide been able to continue without having to resort to silly cost-cutting measures? Especially given gas prices are much higher than the USA. I'm in the aviation business but I do think the US airlines are pushing it for what they can get.

Example: Round trip coach class flight across the pond for about $1000+ (if you're lucky). East coast 8hr flight. Round trip coach class to the Philippines for about the same from the West coast 12.5hr flight.

Reason: There's more money to be made on the transatlantic routes than to the Philippines or Hawaii. People don't want to spend extra $$ going to Hawaii because they are on vacation. Most going to the Philippines are locals who probably don't have much $$ to spare.
I do understand why US airlines have been able to raise prices to Europe since European airlines raised prices to offset higher oil prices so they are competing on a price basis.

What I don't understand is why US airlines have not done the same in the US. I can still purchase round trip tickets from San Francisco to New York for under $300 and San Francisco to Los Angeles for about $125. Compared to a price of about $235 for a round trip between London and Paris, the US prices are dirt cheap.

I understand that the US airlines are keeping the prices low to compete but it just seems that they will all go out of business if they don't significantly raise the prices.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:09 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Sorry, I wasn't being clear: you can buy one-at-a-time overpriced beers in bars, but you can't buy a cold sixpack to go at duty free (type) concessions, as you can in most European airports for example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.