Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

United Airlines

United Airlines

Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

jakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nice
Default United Airlines

Hi all travelling to Detroit on 15 Feb on united Airlines. Any shock horror experiences or even good ones. I've already booked it because it was fairly cheap i think it was £310. But know i'm having doubts that i might not be a decent flight. Also baggage allowance is it 2X23kgs is allowed per person??
any advice wud be great

Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Airlines

I have flown with United once, but not to Detroit. It was ok nothing great, but nothing too bad either. One down side though, they charge for booze in economy.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

jakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nice

Originally Posted by joto
I have flown with United once, but not to Detroit. It was ok nothing great, but nothing too bad either. One down side though, they charge for booze in economy.
how about the baggage allowance is it 2x23kgs per person? also i guess the plane aint a 747 its probably smaller

CHARGE FOR BOOZE :curse:
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakedamuss
how about the baggage allowance is it 2x23kgs per person? also i guess the plane aint a 747 its probably smaller

CHARGE FOR BOOZE :curse:
The baggage allowance is normal for an economy fare. Hey for 310 GBP what are you complaining about...would you prefer to pay another hundred or so more and get free booze?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The baggage allowance is normal for an economy fare. Hey for 310 GBP what are you complaining about...would you prefer to pay another hundred or so more and get free booze?
Its a BRIT thing the booze
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Check out seatguru.com, it should tell you what type of aircraft you'll have and the pros and cons. If you're flying from London via Dulles then it'll likely be a 767-300. You'll probably have to pay for headphones, so take your own.

To be honest if you are flying on your own, it should be fine. Remember if you are connecting in the US then you'll need to pick up your bags before you go through customs and replace them on the transit belt on the other side.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Flights serve two purposes. (A) They get you from one place to another, sometimes even according to plan. (b) They give you something to bitch about: either the general crapness, or the extreme expense necessary to avoid general crapness.

Thus, grab your shit, jump on the plane, and go and have fun.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Thus, grab your shit, jump on the plane, and go and have fun.
If timing isn't important at the destination, could always go for a cheapo standby...even less luggage allowance and not great if you've got someone waiting to pick you up etc especially as you might not get the flight.

Might get lucky, my sister said the other day there were only two people in first class on BA and only a handful back in cattle so they got to sit wherever they wanted and my sister slept in first the whole flight...trolly dolly does have the odd benefit it would seem lol
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a former United flyer who found their airplanes just too filthy and flight schedules too limited for my needs. I heartily recommend seatguru.com to check out your seat (and to move / reorder if possible). It can really suck if you are seated in a seat, stretch out your legs, only to find a fire extinguisher under the seat in front of you.

United allows you 'Channel 9' on the headset which is 'from the cockpit'. Nice because if you get in a delay on the ground you'll know it before they announce it (and other tidbits). If you are **really** bored bring a good map, protractor, and a stopwatch and see if you can chart the flight based on the speed and heading calls you hear from the pilot and ATC. Like I said-really bored.

Are you direct to DET or going through somewhere? If connecting, you go through immigration at your entry, get your bag, go through customs, and then throw the bag back onto the belt. Can be a tad confusing if you've never done it before.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:53 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Check out seatguru.com, it should tell you what type of aircraft you'll have and the pros and cons.
thanks for that tip.

I can't believe how expensive flights are in August to home, so I'm almost tempted to go Aer Lingus. at the risk of hijacking the thread....any experiences? anyone? Bueller?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I have flown with United once, but not to Detroit. It was ok nothing great, but nothing too bad either.
Agree, United is fine, not sexy, but fine. The OP might like the psychadelic light tunnel in DET after a long flight.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:51 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'll presume you're connecting in Chicago.

you'll have to pick up your bags there, go through immigration and customs, then recheck your bags at the connections desk.

Then you'll need to get the train out of Terminal 5 to the United terminal (can't remember which one it is)

I've done United a few times, better than US Airways, but that's about it IMO
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:08 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
The OP might like the psychadelic light tunnel in DET after a long flight.
That's the McNamara terminal

United fly into the other terminal. Berry I think.....
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:18 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
That's the McNamara terminal

United fly into the other terminal. Berry I think.....
It's the North Terminal.

The Berry Terminal was the crappy little one that all the international flights into Detroit used to have to got through. I think it's been demolished, or is going to be.
The McNamara Terminal is a big improvement, and the monorail that runs the length of it, comes in bloody handy when trying to keep a bored 4 year old busy for a couple of hours.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice

I fly with United to and from the UK. I always pay for economy plus. It's not that much more but the 5 inches more legroom is worth it.
My husband is 6ft 6in and is always comfy now when we fly. Also when we moved here last year the air steward in economy gave us a bottle of wine from first class to say welcome to the US!

My worst airline award goes to American, crap food, charge for alcohol, no legroom and the worse staff ever!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.