Unions?

Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unions?

So who here is a member of a union? Who has considered joining one? And what one's have been any use v cost of membership?

There isn't anything specific to my industry, the closest in the UK was BECTU, which I thought was a tad pricey for what it was worth, and not found a US equivalent, well AFTRA, but they don't cover the industry and are a bit useless, I already asked them and $1300 initiation fee is a tad steep, but $63 a year dues there after for anyone on less than $100K wasn't to bad. BECTU caps at £400, with 1% of salary, so juniors feel more pain I thought.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unions?

I was a member when I lived in Oz.

And I guess that belonging to the BMA (British Medical Association) is similar to being in a union...
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I was a member when I lived in Oz.

And I guess that belonging to the BMA (British Medical Association) is similar to being in a union...
Hmmm, I know here in the US belonging to an organization, like the Society of Women Engineers or Institute of Industrial Engineers, is not the same thing as a union. I would think the same thing would apply to the AMA or ADA, but I could be wrong.

When I worked as a cashier at Kroger grocery stores, we had no choice but to join the union (AFCW). I think the cost was like $25/mo (but I was also only part time since I was still in high school). Saw absolutely no benefits to it. Then when I worked for UPS as a package handler, I again had to join a union and again saw no benefits to it. I think the cost was around $45-$60/mo.

Personally, and I'm sure there are people who will disagree, I can't stand unions. I don't think they do anything for people - all they want is more money from you. And they stand in the way of technological progress. Just my $.02 worth.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the BEU Bob....aren't you? I know the annual fees are extortionate but the perks are well worth it.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm in the BEU Bob....aren't you? I know the annual fees are extortionate but the perks are well worth it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire_Union ?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:18 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hmmm, I know here in the US belonging to an organization, like the Society of Women Engineers or Institute of Industrial Engineers, is not the same thing as a union. I would think the same thing would apply to the AMA or ADA, but I could be wrong.

When I worked as a cashier at Kroger grocery stores, we had no choice but to join the union (AFCW). I think the cost was like $25/mo (but I was also only part time since I was still in high school). Saw absolutely no benefits to it. Then when I worked for UPS as a package handler, I again had to join a union and again saw no benefits to it. I think the cost was around $45-$60/mo.

Personally, and I'm sure there are people who will disagree, I can't stand unions. I don't think they do anything for people - all they want is more money from you. And they stand in the way of technological progress. Just my $.02 worth.
Depends on your industry. The POA is absolutely shite but the Police Federation are excellent
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

I agree with you about unions in grocery stores anyway. I worked at Meijers in high school when the union was trying to move in. They would follow me on my shift, try to stir up trouble, say nasty things about my boss who was really a great guy, etc. Left a really bad taste in my mouth.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Bob I meant BEU.com
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The National Union of Mineworkers did a few people proud ..
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The National Union of Mineworkers did a few people proud ..
Especially the Police.lol .............Good old Arthur !
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Especially the Police.lol .............Good old Arthur !
And its directors ,..of course ...

and still they fly the flag ..
http://www.num.org.uk/
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Depends on your industry. The POA is absolutely shite but the Police Federation are excellent
The Federation is good but has no teeth with which to bite back.Lots of anger and words over the recent pay issue buts its not going to get them anywhere.The only way is to hurt this Government by telling the Officers in the Armed response units and Diplomatic Protection Units not to draw their weapons.What, no one to protect the PM and all his hangers on, they'd s*** themselves. Its not industrial action as the officers do this as volunteers.I was never a union man but in this day and age Unions do now have a big part to play in working life.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
And its directors ,..of course ...

and still they fly the flag ..
http://www.num.org.uk/
Joking apart most of 'us' that had to go to the various locations had considerable sympathy with the miners.Hard Working,loyal and honest are only three words to describe the vast majority of them we encountered.It was a battle of wills at the time and the one with the biggest gang won the day.Not saying it was right but they did have the right to fight for their livelihoods.Another erosion of British life and culture IMO.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:16 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but very few of the "sympathetic majority" bothered to report or testify against the "bad apples" that were more interested in beating the crap out of people. Also worth saying that if the Tories and the Police hadn't been quite so enthusiastic in stamping out the unions in the 80s, the Police Federation's position wouldn't be quite so weak and arouse so little public sympathy. (And, for that matter, if the NUM leadership hadn't been quite so vain, corrupt and busy protecting their own interests at the expense of the membership, there might have been room for compromise on some issues -> just like the UK firefighters' union).

...anyway, in the US, they don't need the right wing and the cops to undermine the labor unions, as they're so eager to do it to themselves! I was an enthusiastic union member in the UK, but I don't work in a unionized workplace in the US and there's no TU that's interested in having a freefloater in my industry.

It's astonishing that "closed shops" still exist where membership is compulsory, and the construction unions etc have essentially undermined their own position by refusing to recruit the people in their industry that are employees of non-Unionized companies or illegal immigrants. Obviously being an extension of organized crime groups didn't help either.

Union membership is on the uptick in the US, but there is a long way to go for them, which is ironic, considering how poor work conditions are for many workers in the US.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:32 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is in the Union at her supermarket...and they really fights for the rights of their workers...they have been a God send to the shopworkers over the years....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.