Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uninsured Aurora Shooting Victim - Possible $2 Medical Bill

Wikiposts

Uninsured Aurora Shooting Victim - Possible $2 Medical Bill

Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uninsured Aurora Shooting Victim - Possible $2 Medical Bill

Originally Posted by Michael
Or mandate that people purchase health insurance.
They can mandate it all they want, but if someone can't afford insurance, they can't afford it, mandating it wont solve that problem.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Looks like some bills are going to magically disappear.

http://www.denverpost.com/theatersho...ooting-victims
"Disappear" as in effectively passed on to those that can pay for treatment at the hospitals, especially those that are uninsured but have assets. The hospitals are doing the right thing in the circumstances, but this really illustrates how messed up the current system of healthcare access is, as does the fact that some families are already resorting to asking for donations for their injured relative's care.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 25th 2012 at 5:30 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They can mandate it all they want, but if someone can't afford insurance, they can't afford it, mandating it wont solve that problem.
I agree, which is which is why healthcare is best provide according to this simple maxim

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

If the shooting had happened almost anywhere apart form the US the medical bills of the victims wouldn't be an issue.

This principle is nicely applied and explained in the original NHS leaflet.

http://www.wihb.scot.nhs.uk/60th/Leaflets/leaflet.pdf

Last edited by nun; Jul 25th 2012 at 11:39 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I agree, which is which is why healthcare is best provide according to this simple maxim

If the shooting had happened almost anywhere apart form the US the medical bills of the victims wouldn't be an issue.

This principle is nicely applied and explained in the original NHS leaflet.

http://www.wihb.scot.nhs.uk/60th/Leaflets/leaflet.pdf
Exactly. To quote from your attachment. "It is not a charity." Everyone pays in, a bit at a time, so that it is there for anyone when it is needed.

Much as the contributors mean well, this business of "special funds" and charity events to fund medical care drives me insane. What is everyone else who never comes to the public eye supposed to do? It is a fundamentally unjust and unequal system, and ought to be against everything this country says it stands for.

So ought getting shot in cinemas to be, if it comes to that.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun

She'd roll over in her grave if she heard you extolling the concept.

Ian
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:34 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The ridiculousness of the US health insurance system is highlighted by the cinema shooting. The fact that the hospital is reducing or eliminating the charges for some of the victims, presumably because it's a national story with lots of press and we can't ask for money from folks who have had such a terrible experience, just shows the hypocrisy and unfairness of the system. If we eliminate the charges for these people why not for everyone?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:57 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The ridiculousness of the US health insurance system is highlighted by the cinema shooting. The fact that the hospital is reducing or eliminating the charges for some of the victims, presumably because it's a national story with lots of press and we can't ask for money from folks who have had such a terrible experience, just shows the hypocrisy and unfairness of the system. If we eliminate the charges for these people why not for everyone?
I couldn't agree more.

This cuts very close to the bone for me. My Brother-in-law was a passenger in a car that rolled early this year, is now paralyzed (he has a small amount of movement in his arms but his motor skills are poor and his movement in his hands is severely limited).
I'm not entirely sure where he stands on the medical bill right now but he couldn't afford the insurance premiums and wasn't covered. He spent 30+ days in Neuro ICU so you can bet it's over $1M.

There are charities that help out but it does highlight a fundamental flaw that if you're involved in a serious incident, not only do you have to deal with the injuries but also, in all liklihood, bankruptcy too.

I never realized how crazy the system was over here until I came and lived here. You hear about it but don't appreciate the severity of the situation. Even with insurance the bills can still be pretty high depending on your insurance, deductible and out of pocket maximum...

Sad times...
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Exactly. To quote from your attachment. "It is not a charity." Everyone pays in, a bit at a time, so that it is there for anyone when it is needed.

Much as the contributors mean well, this business of "special funds" and charity events to fund medical care drives me insane. What is everyone else who never comes to the public eye supposed to do? It is a fundamentally unjust and unequal system, and ought to be against everything this country says it stands for.

So ought getting shot in cinemas to be, if it comes to that.
+1 I can't stand when I see those donation jars at places. There shouldn't be a need for them in the first place!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:50 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bink

I never realized how crazy the system was over here until I came and lived here. You hear about it but don't appreciate the severity of the situation. Even with insurance the bills can still be pretty high depending on your insurance, deductible and out of pocket maximum...

Sad times...
I live in MA so we've had a healthcare mandate for a few years. It has increased the proportion of people with insurance in MA to 98%, which is good and you cannot de denied coverage for a pre-existing condition. Also, there is a subsidized plan for low waged people, but for the people who fall just above the definition of low waged the insurance premiums can be hard to pay. Also most people go for plans with large deductibles so they have to pay say the first $5k of any costs. That's ok for catastrophic illness and emergencies, but it doesn't encourage people to see the doctor for the small things that if caught early are inexpensive to treat, but if left can become chronic or severe conditions.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it Bob? who lives in MA and has commented on the issues they have there?

We have the fund raisers here as well and I am thinking do you not get it, a plaster on a major trauma.

I wish the Government would mandate that people have to buy from my Business.....
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:35 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
+1 I can't stand when I see those donation jars at places. There shouldn't be a need for them in the first place!
Disease of the month.

If you have a low-profile disease that lacks PR, too bad.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I wish the Government would mandate that people have to buy from my Business.....
Without some kind of mandate - be it through direction taxation (like Medicare or the NHS) or otherwise (like the ACA) - you will not get anything approaching universal coverage because of the free loader issue: people - especially the young and healthy - would merely buy insurance in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, thus removing healthier people from the insurance pool. You like to snipe at the (now constitutional) mandate, but you never explain how you would get us universal coverage without it.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 26th 2012 at 2:42 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Disease of the month.

If you have a low-profile disease that lacks PR, too bad.
Or a low-profile disaster. There was a compensation fund for 9/11 health victims, but not for the Oklahoma City bombing. It's all so screwed up.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Or a low-profile disaster. There was a compensation fund for 9/11 health victims, but not for the Oklahoma City bombing. It's all so screwed up.
And don't even get me started on New Orleans...
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:56 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

I have personal experience. My good friend, no insurance, young daughter got leukemia (I'm 'Uncle Pete') ...

Treated like a queen in a fine hospital (the Cleveland Clinic). For MONTHS. No questions asked. Fortunately it's now in full remission.

Because he's genuinely working poor he's got few assets, and he hasn't been hassled for them.

Ideal? Perhaps not. But it does work and the care is outstanding.

Anyone associated with the horrible shootings in Aurora will become wealthy here shortly. Notice I don't say it will make up for it. But medical bills won't be a problem.

Originally Posted by Boiler
It's easy David. Dress it up as a social issue and hire a good PR agent

Pete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.