Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uni in New York...

Uni in New York...

Old Aug 16th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of
Default Uni in New York...

I am sure the answer lies somewhere in this mass of info however I like to get a quick response so my appreciation for any follow ups is greatly appreciated
I have a daughter that will finish High School next year and wants to follow up her Uni in New York.
First of all can she do this as a resident only of Canada (fully aware of the days required in Canada to qualify for citizenship) Would she still get student loan help with this? Are there any stipulations that will not allow her or she has to follow to qualify?
Thanks in advance for any help/replies
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of
Default Re: Uni in New York...

Originally Posted by keznjj
I am sure the answer lies somewhere in this mass of info however I like to get a quick response so my appreciation for any follow ups is greatly appreciated
I have a daughter that will finish High School next year and wants to follow up her Uni in New York.
First of all can she do this as a resident only of Canada (fully aware of the days required in Canada to qualify for citizenship) Would she still get student loan help with this? Are there any stipulations that will not allow her or she has to follow to qualify?
Thanks in advance for any help/replies
Nope. No US Government loans or relief. Maybe eligible for OSAP or similar. She could try a commercial bank, but would require a guarantor.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

F1 student visa.

Limited to 20 hours on campus, part time work, after the first semester.

No US federal loans available, it's either stuff the college offers or private loans.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I work at a college in New York and I can tell you that a small but significant proportion of our students are Canadian, certainly more than from any other foreign country. This tends to be the case in many private liberal arts colleges in New York State.

If your daughter plays varsity Hockey, or another sport, she may be in luck; the colleges here actively recruit for athletes in Canada. Certainly with hockey, there are always several Canadian girls on college teams over here...
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on province of residence and the University to be attended, might qualify for Canada student loans.

Q. Am I eligible to receive government student loans if I'm planning to study abroad?

A. It is possible to obtain a Canada Student Loan for full-time studies if you are studying at a post-secondary institution outside of Canada. Check with your provincial or territorial student financial assistance office to determine if your school and/or program qualifies, or visit the List of Designated Educational Institutions.

http://www.canlearn.ca/eng/postsec/faq/index.shtml#p
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies Guys much appreciated
jsmth thanks for the added research again much appreciated