Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

The land of the free has become the home of the rude thanks to the "arrogant" and "unpredictable" immigration officials who police its borders, according to a survey of travellers.

The nation that once welcomed all with its Statue of Liberty and declaration E Pluribus Unum (out of many, one) is now considered the world's most unfriendly. experts fear that rudeness is turning away the tourists
Visitors are staying away, costing the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, and the situation threatens America's already battered image, according to the group behind the survey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../22/wusa22.xml
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Originally Posted by Ray
The land of the free has become the home of the rude thanks to the "arrogant" and "unpredictable" immigration officials who police its borders, according to a survey of travellers.

The nation that once welcomed all with its Statue of Liberty and declaration E Pluribus Unum (out of many, one) is now considered the world's most unfriendly. experts fear that rudeness is turning away the tourists
Visitors are staying away, costing the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, and the situation threatens America's already battered image, according to the group behind the survey.

I did see a programme on this, not surprised really, those immigration officials are the rudest I've ever come across
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to go through the INS lines at any airport to get that impression Ray............. Every time I fly back from the UK they make me feel like a criminal, and they are the same towards tourists.
Rude, nasty and abrupt
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha - quality...
In 2004, the novelist Ian McEwan was refused entry from Canada. Eventually allowed in, he thanked the Department of Homeland Security "for protecting the American public from British novelists"
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The land of the free has become the home of the rude thanks to the "arrogant" and "unpredictable" immigration officials who police its borders, according to a survey of travellers...
Don't get me started!

I rarely have problems with people being rude to me in real life (as opposed to virtual life ), but when it comes to US POE officers, my polite demeanor and charm seem to run like water off a duck's back.

If my experience is anything to go by, outright rudeness is rare, though the offhand way they deal with you, how they look at you, and they way they phrase their questions, can be very disconcerting. They just have a certain attitude that results in making one feel insecure and fearful.

The only polite US POE officer I have ever come across was in Vancouver.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:15 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going to Kennebunkport, Maine when I was about 12 years old with my family. It happened to during the same time that the Bush family were holidaying which of course gave the immigration official processing our entry full license to be a complete git. After a series of personal, intrusive and completely unnecessary questions my father plucked up enough courage to ask him why a normal-looking family of four was being treated like a terrorist cell. His reply:
"My job is to protect the President." Wanker.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

must say the immigration officials at houston aren't that bad as i've got to know some of them with passing through so frequently....it's the rest one has to contend with
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray

Personally,........I think they're amateurs at it.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:08 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

I think it's more than rudeness, terrorism probably plays a part in it with some not wanting to risk a flight on a plane destined for the US.

The actions of the current government would put some people off of visiting too.

More to it than rudeness me thinks.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:35 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I think it's more than rudeness, terrorism probably plays a part in it with some not wanting to risk a flight on a plane destined for the US.

The actions of the current government would put some people off of visiting too.

More to it than rudeness me thinks.
They were arseholes 20 years ago when I first came to the States and have remained rude. I think it's the mindset of many of these clowns from meter maids, some policemen, store security guards to these guys , give some people a uniform and a little bit of power and it goes to thier heads.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
They were arseholes 20 years ago when I first came to the States and have remained rude. I think it's the mindset of many of these clowns from meter maids, some policemen, store security guards to these guys , give some people a uniform and a little bit of power and it goes to thier heads.
hear, hear. they are in every country,that's country by the way
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
"My job is to protect the President." Wanker.
How grateful the Secret Service agents, men who are paid to take a bullet for GWB, must be to have such diligent people working in airports...

The UK POE officers are apparently just as bad, especially if you're Asian; we never see their gruff side though since processing UK passport holders at LHR is more a formality than anything else.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I've ever noticed any kind of attitude, or had any problems (oh and this is over 18 years of travel to the US, with over 50 entries during that time). Sure, they aren't your friendly aunt Mabel, so they are unlikely to engage in idle chit-chat. They are good at assessing if you are who you say you are, and whether you are telling porkies. Look them in the eye, say hello and answer any question with the least amount of information that they ask. 10 seconds later you'll be on your way with a welcome home (at least if you are a PR/citizen).

- Tim

On reflection, there is always a rotten apple or two in the barrel, I've been luck enough not to have met them, but reading some of the reports on flyertalk makes me realize they are out there....
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Thats complete bunk. The INS are kittens compared to the NYS Thruway toll collectors.

Here's one being nice:
Attached Thumbnails Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...-hitler%2520only%25208x12%2520300%2520dpi.jpg  
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:38 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on be fair pre 11/9 these guys worked in Mc D's some even had 5 stars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.