Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefit entitlement?

Unemployment benefit entitlement?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:01 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefit entitlement?

When everyone talks about the Land of the Free, I always realise that I never once in England worried about being homeless because of losing my job or being sick.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
In CA Northern just asked my roommate she is a CPA and has her own accountancy firm and said its the 1st she heard of it!!

I won't panic yet lol
Good deal then. Didn't mean to upset you! Think it was in larger corporations who had lots of IC's who were really permanent employees with no benefits. Cheap bast*ards.

Last edited by aviva; Jan 20th 2011 at 4:07 am.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
When everyone talks about the Land of the Free, I always realise that I never once in England worried about being homeless because of losing my job or being sick.
F*n unbelievable, isn't it?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:13 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Good deal then. Didn't mean to upset you! Think it was in larger corporations who had lots of IC's who were really permanent employees with no benefits. Cheap bast*ards.
Oh you didn't not in any way and you're right again cheap bar stewards
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh you didn't not in any way and you're right again cheap bar stewards
There is an IRS form you have to give out to Contractors, forget the number. Anyway IRS have expanded who gets it so that might be where this is coming from.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:23 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

and an extra 6 if I signed a paper saying I'd not tell any company secrets. So I signed, but didn't know any secrets anyway. So strange. Didn't they know I didn't know anything worth knowing?
That made me chuckle.
They don't know what they don't know about what you might know, so if you didn't know what they didn't know you might know, you're a winner on that one!

I always like it when people who have had misfortune get an unexpected result.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:27 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

There's a NC thread where lots of folks post so they'll be along soon. I'm sure they'll help you or you could go over there and ask them.
How do I find this thread? Never seen it before TBH.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:28 am
Banned

Thanks to all who posted.
Lets hope I don't need to reach for UB.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is an IRS form you have to give out to Contractors, forget the number. Anyway IRS have expanded who gets it so that might be where this is coming from.
The form 1099. All they're trying to do is ensure that one is a genuine independent contractor, and that the company issuing the 1099s isn't screwing people out of the benefits available to an employee by using them as an IC when they are really an employee. From what I've heard, it's to trip up employers who are misusing ICs, not the IC. I've been an IC for over 20 years, and the variety of clients that I have and the full home office makes it very apparent that I'm legit self-employed. If someone makes, say, $20,000 from just one company, and has no other clients, the IRS is going to wonder why they aren't an employee.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
How true. The freedom is for employers.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:52 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, just beg, or have given the whole thing some thought beforehand and saved a little cash. Often people become blinded at the prospect of getting the whole banana without deductions, then have some serious regret. No disability insurance either.
Just found out from a friend who works at a church and was sick, non-profits are not required to pay into disability insurance, so if you get sick or ill, and have a regular job with deductions, you are screwed. Check your pay stub. and see if they are including disability deductions.

Some non profits also dont pay into unemployment..
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:10 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The form 1099. All they're trying to do is ensure that one is a genuine independent contractor, and that the company issuing the 1099s isn't screwing people out of the benefits available to an employee by using them as an IC when they are really an employee. From what I've heard, it's to trip up employers who are misusing ICs, not the IC. I've been an IC for over 20 years, and the variety of clients that I have and the full home office makes it very apparent that I'm legit self-employed. If someone makes, say, $20,000 from just one company, and has no other clients, the IRS is going to wonder why they aren't an employee.
Room-mate begs to differ and says this is not true!!
I was given the option and choose to be a IC my company is based in FL I live in CA.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Room-mate begs to differ and says this is not true!!
I was given the option and choose to be a IC my company is based in FL I live in CA.
Interesting! But I wonder if, had you lived 15 minutes down the road, it would be looked upon differently? And did you forgo benefits by taking that choice? This is purely surmise, but as you work remotely, I wonder if that makes a difference in the IRS's view of your situation.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Interesting! But I wonder if, had you lived 15 minutes down the road, it would be looked upon differently? And did you forgo benefits by taking that choice? This is purely surmise, but as you work remotely, I wonder if that makes a difference in the IRS's view of your situation.
The only time the IRS looks into your files is when there is an issue ie the company are making you work as a employee under IC guidelines an employer cannot dictate where when and how you conduct your business....If this is found to be so the company can be fined very heavily

I did forgo my benefits but then again I gained from other aspects I get to save more and deduct more!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

The only time the IRS looks into your files is when there is an issue ie the company are making you work as a employee under IC guidelines an employer cannot dictate where when and how you conduct your business....If this is found to be so the company can be fined very heavily

I did forgo my benefits but then again I gained from other aspects I get to save more and deduct more!
Yes, certainly understand about the part where the company can't dictate how you work.

I love working for myself, but at times I have to admit that it would be nice if I got paid for a sick day or had paid vacation time! And all those expenses that lower our gross reported income may lower our taxes, but they also lower the amount that social security will be predicated upon eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.