Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Wikiposts

the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:15 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Congo $1,138 million a year. Or 1.1 Billion in US speak. That sounds a lot....

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/monuc/facts.html
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:15 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Can someone please list 10 positive accomplishments of the UN?
http://www.un.org/Overview/achieve.html
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Top two:

Maintaining Peace and Security

Making Peace

Which is where we came in.

I would have put first maintaining expensive New York Restraunters in the style of life they have become accustomed to.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Congo $1,138 million a year. Or 1.1 Billion in US speak. That sounds a lot....

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/monuc/facts.html
Probably includes cost of condoms.

2,000,000 casualties and counting.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:31 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Can someone please list 10 positive accomplishments of the UN?
It is difficult, because we only hear of the failures, and the politicos here in this country only recognise complete success, otherwise it is labelled "failure". UNICEF, WHO, UNESCO have all done significant good in the world but can never completely succeed because they are limited by local politics.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would have put first maintaining expensive New York Restraunters in the style of life they have become accustomed to.
Don't think I'd argue against reform. They are government bureaucrats, and as such suffer the usual temptations leading to corruption. So if anyone wants to bleat on about that, I'm all with them.

But blaming them for their inability to act is stupid -- they have as many resources and as much power as their members allow.

When it comes down to it, the world needs a talking shop for global issues since the alternative would be Team America World Police -- a frightening thought!.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:45 am
Account Closed

I read about them complaining about the state of the building, offices etc.

I always thought New York was an odd place, there must be much much cheaper locations outside the US which would have the advantage of significant cost savings to members, the money could be spent on their succesful projects.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:46 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
If we are going to have the UN, which is fine by me, it HAS to act not always sit on the sidelines. Everyone is taking the piss because we rarely follw through on any of the resolutions. (And when we do, everyone else cries foul). Simple FACT. heck, they should even act against Israel but ACT against *all* resolutions else it might as well be disbanded. Given the fact that just about everyone is now ignoring the resolutions, no one wants to send UN troops and it takes weeks to vote, you have to admit, it's all cods-wallop really.

Boy, you sound like homer simpson, going on about fux all the time. What's it got to do with a slice of bread? Sure, beat up on my opinion but don't insult yourself by thinking those whom disagree with you aren't entitled to their own.
That is a classic case of responsibility without the commensurate authority. You want them to act but you, who look like an under-the-radar spokesman for the administration, don't want to give them the authority to do it. Also, look at the difference between Chapter Six and Chapter Seven. The USA vetos any Ch. 7 moves that would cause inconvenience to Israel.

If nothing else, the UN gives a venue for conversations that might not otherwise take place. I think many fights are avoided because they talk the disputes though at the UN, we won't hear of it though, of necessity. When the U2 went down, Kruschev went to the UN and put on a show; if it hadn't been available for him to vent his anger, he might have sent the bombers.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:52 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I read about them complaining about the state of the building, offices etc.
The UN Building has a major Asbestos problem, they're moving everyone out while they remove it and carry out some other work, at a cost of around $1.6 Billion, although the U.S. is the only country is refusing to cough up any cash at the moment.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:44 am
The Unmod

The UN headquarters is in the USA because the USA wanted it there and offered the building. Why? It's a hell of a lot easier to spy on all of those foreign delegations if they are in your own country than if they are not.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
The UN Building has a major Asbestos problem, they're moving everyone out while they remove it and carry out some other work, at a cost of around $1.6 Billion, although the U.S. is the only country is refusing to cough up any cash at the moment.
I do remember seeing who coughed up the most for the UN and who did not.

At the time I was looking at the UK, but I would anticipate that the US is the main contibutor to UN funds and probably has always been so.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:27 am

At the time I was looking at the UK, but I would anticipate that the US is the main contibutor to UN funds and probably has always been so.
In this case, 22%.
UN building