Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to USA moving company

Wikiposts

UK to USA moving company

Old May 9th 2023, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK to USA moving company

Which moving company did you go with?

What do you wish you knew that you didn't know when it came to the big move?

Did you incur any UNEXPECTED fees other than what was quoted or estimated for the move?

I am looking for a company for my parents big move next year. Mostly clothes, picture frames, pots and pans, 2 single beds and 1 king size bed including mattresses. 1 dining table with 4 chairs - as far as furniture goes.

Looking for STRESS FREE service.
Old May 10th 2023, 4:33 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to USA moving company

I am sure you are aware of this but the difference in mattress sizes between the UK and US makes buying sheets and covers difficult. Not insurmountable by any means but inconvenient at best. Pots and pans will be fine unless there is anything electrical. Unless the items have sentimental value or are incredibly valuable your parents would be better off selling in the UK and buying new over here. If you get down to just clothes and picture frames you could look at bringing them as excess baggage. When I moved here I brought most of what I wanted packed in large, sturdy boxes. I was allowed 3 boxes at 75 pounds each in business class, but even at excess baggage rates you would save significantly on shipping, probably more than enough to buy business class tickets.
Old Jun 8th 2023, 6:52 am
Just Joined

sharmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Movewise.ltd were great
Old Jun 8th 2023, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatadiva
Which moving company did you go with?

What do you wish you knew that you didn't know when it came to the big move?

Did you incur any UNEXPECTED fees other than what was quoted or estimated for the move?

I am looking for a company for my parents big move next year. Mostly clothes, picture frames, pots and pans, 2 single beds and 1 king size bed including mattresses. 1 dining table with 4 chairs - as far as furniture goes.

Looking for STRESS FREE service.
Sell all of that tat and come over with clean slate
Old Jun 10th 2023, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Andrews Mum is an unknown quantity at this point

I can’t recommend a moving company I’m afraid but I do think there have been other threads regarding this, with good recommendations. We moved here 6 years ago, after we both retired and were in our mid 60s, to be nearer to our son and his family and we used Simpsons. Would definitely NOT recommend them. They were very attentive when we were in the UK, and here, until the container arrived, but once the container docked they didn’t want to know. We had been assured we were paying for a ‘door to door service’ which certainly wasn’t the case. I can’t remember the terminology now, or the actual cost, but basically we were told that until we paid a princely sum to the port authorities and then the company handling the removal at this end, they wouldn’t release our container. There were also additional costs we weren’t expecting and hadn’t budgeted for! Definitely NOT a ‘door to door service’. If we were doing it again, we would make sure it was an all inclusive package. As for what to bring? We bought ourselves an American king size bed when we got here but we did bring 2 UK king size beds, and bedding (we can still buy UK size bedding if necessary from M&S on line) with us as the beds were relatively new and are only used when we have family and friends to stay. We also brought our dining room furniture and 2 large leather settees as they are good quality pieces of furniture, and were relatively new too. I’m sure we would have had to pay a lot more for the same quality here, plus they’re a reminder of our UK home, and we like them. Obviously I don’t know how old your parents are, but good luck to them on their move! I have to say the move was daunting, particularly at our age (never mind driving on the other side of the road for the first time ever (well for me, not my husband) and taking driving tests but we did it, and are glad now that we did!