Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Deadline to backfill NI years 2006/07 through 20015/16 may be extended

Deadline to backfill NI years 2006/07 through 20015/16 may be extended

Old Mar 3rd 2023, 6:29 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deadline to backfill NI years 2006/07 through 20015/16 may be extended

The 5 April 2023 deadline to backfill NI years 2006/07 through 2015/16 may be extended due to DWP being unable to handle the volume of inquiries on this issue. No decision has been made yet but it looks likely that the deadline will be extended by one or possibly two years. That would be good news for those that may have dilly dallied on this, or found out about the opportunity late in the day and thought they had missed, or would miss, the deadline. It is well worth pursuing if those years will help to attain the full state pension. But in any case, if interested, best to get on this ASAP.

There are plenty of threads on making voluntary NI contributions, so no need to repeat the information here. Start with this thread if you need further information.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-...utions-874408/

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Mar 3rd 2023 at 6:33 am.
Old Mar 4th 2023, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Teela_Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Deadline to backfill NI years 2006/07 through 20015/16 may be extended

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
The 5 April 2023 deadline to backfill NI years 2006/07 through 2015/16 may be extended due to DWP being unable to handle the volume of inquiries on this issue. No decision has been made yet but it looks likely that the deadline will be extended by one or possibly two years. That would be good news for those that may have dilly dallied on this, or found out about the opportunity late in the day and thought they had missed, or would miss, the deadline. It is well worth pursuing if those years will help to attain the full state pension. But in any case, if interested, best to get on this ASAP.

There are plenty of threads on making voluntary NI contributions, so no need to repeat the information here. Start with this thread if you need further information.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-...utions-874408/

Just to let everyone know how behind they are i submitted my request to pay Class 2 for past years on August 12th 2022. i called yesterday Friday March 3rd 2023 and were told they were currently processing requests filed August 10th 2022 and should get to mine in a week or two.
Once the decision is made i have to wait for a letter in the mail to inform me. A grace period will be in place for people wanting to make past year payments due to the backlog.
Old Mar 4th 2023, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deadline to backfill NI years 2006/07 through 20015/16 may be extended

Originally Posted by Teela_Brown
Just to let everyone know how behind they are i submitted my request to pay Class 2 for past years on August 12th 2022. i called yesterday Friday March 3rd 2023 and were told they were currently processing requests filed August 10th 2022 and should get to mine in a week or two.
Once the decision is made i have to wait for a letter in the mail to inform me. A grace period will be in place for people wanting to make past year payments due to the backlog.
Thanks for the update, is there a way to confirm that they have received the application or do you need to call? I can’t see anything on line and am worried they have not received our forms that we mailed last month.
Old Mar 4th 2023, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

You can call to check they got it. i did that back in september. They also went through my form with me and clarified a few things. number is +44 191 203 7010 they don’t put updates online.
Old Mar 7th 2023, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

We paid National Insurance contributions for the spouse who was on a H-4 visa (cannot work). I think that was called class 4 contributions, since they say you are voluntarily unemployed. Quite expensive.

Now we have green cards and both working, so the class 2 contributions should be payable I think? (Much lower cost)

I think we have to fill in a form a submit. Then wait and start the direct debit up. We’ll give Newcastle a call to confirm (love their accent too). Do they need to know you worked in one job, had two weeks out of work and then back to it etc.?
Old Mar 7th 2023, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Gov UK website the deadline has been pushed back to July 31, 2023.
Old Mar 7th 2023, 1:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
We paid National Insurance contributions for the spouse who was on a H-4 visa (cannot work). I think that was called class 4 contributions, since they say you are voluntarily unemployed. Quite expensive. ....
I don't think it would be Class 4 contributions as they are based on a percentage of your income, so it was probably Class 3, at around £720/yr. That is obviously a lot more than Class 2, but even Class 3 is a remarkably good investment as you will receive an increase in pension enough to repay that £720 in less than 3 years of retirement. Obviously that is a simplified analysis, omitting consideration of interest/investment returns/ the time value of money, but even so, there aren't many investments you can make that guarantee that for every £100 invested you will receive income of £34/yr.
..... I think we have to fill in a form a submit. Then wait and start the direct debit up. We’ll give Newcastle a call to confirm (love their accent too). Do they need to know you worked in one job, had two weeks out of work and then back to it etc.?
Just fill in the form, it's short, and pretty basic, asking about employers, before and after you left the UK. It's a bit disjointed, and some questions don't seem relevant, but just answer them to the best of your ability.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 7th 2023 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2023, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Just following up to give people waiting a heads up on the timeline
  • August 12th 2022 HMRC received my Class 2 Voluntary Contribution request application CF83
  • March 3rd 2023 called not processed
  • June 9th 2023 I called and was told a letter was in the mail (posted 3 days ago)
In summary because I wasn't working full time prior to leaving UK in 2005 (i had three young kids and was a Full Time Uni Student Graduated 2005) I was not approved for Class two. I was approved for class 3 from 2006 - 2023. Though my deadline to make class 3 contributions for period 2006-2016 is sometime this year, based upon the date I receive my letter they will extend the July 31st deadline by my notification period I believe.

If I want to make class 3 contributions for future years I have to do a new application. I am only approved currently for past years. As I'm 17 years short I'm hoping 2006 - 2023 will cover it all and I don't need to do more paperwork. Obviously class 2 would have been more beneficial but I think class 3 is still a good deal. I believe they'll be more specific info in the letter.

So for anyone who applied after August 22 you have some idea of the timeline involved. The guy on the phone was really helpful but it was a 45 min hold before reaching him.
Old Jun 9th 2023, 2:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... Obviously class 2 would have been more beneficial but I think class 3 is still a good deal. .....
I posted this on another thread last weekend, regarding Class 3 contributions, which you may find interesting:
While much more than Class 2, Class 3 contributions are still a very good investment.

For every year of Class 3 contributions, which currently costs £907.40, after retirement you will receive, based on today's full state pension, an additional £5.82 per week of pension. So it will take 155.8 weeks (almost exactly 3 years) of retirement to collect increased pension payments equivalent to the amount you pay in Class 3 contributions. This calculation is true whether you pay one year of additional contributions at the Class 3 rate, or thirty two years. This is like buying an annuity that pays 33%, .... though to be objective you would need to discount your investment by the number of years until you retire* .... so the closer you are to retirement, the better a Class 3 investment looks.

* While there are many possible illustrative calculations that could be performed to estimate the value of future investment returns, if we assume that the UK state pension will increase at 3% per annum, in ten years the £5.82 per week (302.64/yr) will have increased to £7.82 per week (406.72/yr). Now if we assume you would have invested the money used to pay for Class 3 contributions to earn a return of 8% per annum, the £907.40 invested today would be worth £1,959.01 in 10 years. So using those estimates, the increased pension of £406 will have cost you £1,959 (£907 at 8% compound growth), which is a life annuity of 20.76% .... and there is no way to get an annuity anywhere near that for a 67 year old.

FWIW using those estimates, your investment will be paid back in just under 4 years and 10 months of retirement.

I just checked, the best annuity rates today for a 67 year old man in NC are in the 7%-7½% range, so my projection of 20.76% ten years in the future completely blows todays annuity rates out of the water. So while Class 3 seems expensive, it is still an extraordinarily good deal that you are unlikely to get close to with any other investment. Even extending those calculations forward to the twenty year point, the return would still be equivalent to an annuity paying 12.9%.
Old Jun 9th 2023, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I posted this on another thread last weekend, regarding Class 3 contributions, which you may find interesting:
Thanks I appreciate you adding that here, its really reassuring because it seems like I'm going to have to write a big check to secure the 2006-2016 years. I think some of the past years are at a lower rate, though the guy helping me did confuse me a little on the past years situation. I thought you could only pay 6 past years (maybe that's a class 2 thing) but he made it sound like I could pay them all (2006-2016 in a lump, and after 2016 at any time). Hopefully the letter will clear up any remaining confusion I have.
I appreciate the help people on this forum give so much, its extremely difficult to navigate some of these expat issues.
Old Jun 9th 2023, 2:57 pm

.... I thought you could only pay 6 past years (maybe that's a class 2 thing) but he made it sound like I could pay them all (2006-2016 in a lump, and after 2016 at any time). ....
Those are the concessionary terms which end after next month (July 2023). After the concession ends, things will revert back to being able to pay "current year plus six years in arrears".
Old Jun 9th 2023, 2:57 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I appreciate you adding that here, its really reassuring because it seems like I'm going to have to write a big check to secure the 2006-2016 years. I think some of the past years are at a lower rate, though the guy helping me did confuse me a little on the past years situation. I thought you could only pay 6 past years (maybe that's a class 2 thing) but he made it sound like I could pay them all (2006-2016 in a lump, and after 2016 at any time). Hopefully the letter will clear up any remaining confusion I have.
I appreciate the help people on this forum give so much, it’sthe abilitextremely difficult to navigate some of these expat issues.
Normally it is only possible to backfill the prior 6 years regardless of whether you are paying Class 2 or Class 3. However when they changed the age at which we all qualify for the pension (quite some time ago now) they also added the ability for people born within a certain timeline to also backfill 2006 to 2016. So some people were able to back fill up to 16 years. You must be one of those people. The deadline to backfill 2000 to 2016 ends on July 31st, 2023, very soon. After that date they will be back to only allowing the prior 6 years to be backfilled.
Old Jun 9th 2023, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

I fall into the bracket of being able to pay past the 6 years. I called back in February but was told I had to fill out an application form to assess whether I paid class 2 or 3. I know I will be class 3 as I was not working in the year before I left the UK. I sent the form off and the website shows it is received and I should hear a response in December. I was assured that the fact I made an application was sufficient but it worries me that it is past the July deadline. I must say everyone is very polite at HM Revenue and Customs!
Old Jun 12th 2023, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Deadline extended to 5 April 2025.
Old Jun 12th 2023, 5:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdrinker
Deadline extended to 5 April 2025.
Press release: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-to-april-2025

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.