Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to USA flight

UK to USA flight

Old May 8th 2012, 6:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to USA flight

Originally Posted by tonrob
When this happens they cancel your return ticket and apply a credit amount against your name that expires after a certain time. This credit usually has an admin fee deducted from it first. What this fee is and whether the airline will do it at all varies by airline and also by booking class of ticket. Sometimes the deduction can be hefty, and could even cancel out the credit entirely.

It's probably worth reading the ticketing terms before picking the phone up, not least to have an understang of what you believe you're entitled to. Airline call centre employees are notoriously under-trained, and I've read that many of the complex one-off calculations they have to make are done manually - so different agents will act differently in response to the same question.
I'm assuming it would be a cheapo ticket...therefore usually no refund anyway.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:58 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm assuming it would be a cheapo ticket...therefore usually no refund anyway.
I wasn't talking about refunds, but about credits that you can put towards a future ticket. That's what you'll get - if anything at all - when you try to change the date on some of the cheapo fares. Again - varies by airline and by booking class. It's usually only the expensive fully flexible fares (and mileage redemptions) that you can actually get refunded.
Old May 9th 2012, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really nice

I did this last year as it was much cheaper to buy a return than one way. I didn't cancel the return flight (I think there was a charge to cancel it as it counted as a change!), I just didn't show up and didn't hear anything about it.