Uk to USA with children!

Wikiposts

Uk to USA with children!

Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Debzfall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk to USA with children!

Hi there,

I will keep this brief but would appreciate any advice. I am starting the process
of possibly moving from UK to USA as my father is an American - born and lived there all his life. I know it's a lengthy process but my issue is this. My dad lives in Arkansas and his advice is it isn't the best place for us to come for work etc. I am at a loss as to where to start looking and to give my husband a realistic idea of lifestyle, cost of living etc. we like to idea of colorado, being very outdoors types and not great beach lovers, more skiing, bike riding, walking etc however but we don't want to be miles away from work etc. any suggestion of other places I could research would be appreciated - good or bad info to oh my children are 7 and 2.

Thank you
Debbie
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk to USA with children!

Under the circumstances you describe making the move to the US is going to be tough, but I think you're going to need to focus on jobs first. Where can your husband (and you?) find work. If that's in Colorado, you should see that as a bonus.

Then the are two related issues related to finding a job (i) are your skills, experience and qualifications going to be recognized by US employers? In extreme cases for example police and often teaching positions require the applicant to be a USC, and your husband won't be for at least three years after arriving. British trade and professional licences are typically not recognised so your husband would have to recertify, and most licenses are issued at the state level, which complicates matters further when you don't know in which state you may find a job. And (ii) in most cases it is very difficult to get the attention of possible employers when you are outside the US even if you do have a visa.

High unemployment only compounds both the above challenges. The visa process for your husband is going to take 6-8 months, so you have time to plan and organize yourselves. But when you get closer to the visa being issued you should plan on a trip over to explore possible jobs, and hopefully attend some interviews. At that time you might be able to use your father's address on your husband's resume, though he might have to be prepared to fly out at short notice for an interview.

One other thing, there is the issue to be aware of, that when your husband arrives in the US, visa in hand, you must be there with him, so although you can turn round and fly back to the UK, he can't go ahead of you entirely on his own to start a job.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 6th 2013 at 1:36 am.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski pointed out there are some unique challenges in your situation re immigration. But more than anything be aware of the issues of healthcare especially with children and the need to have it in place if you come over here. Of course things are supposedly changing later this year but that should bring interesting times so tread carefully.

Colorado - nice area Imho Denver is surrounded by some nice suburbs. Birghton springs to mind: http://homes.yahoo.com/search/Colora...homes-for-sale

Its far enough outside main Denver to avoid the problems the city faces and is an old cowtown with fairly new development in the last 10 years. Not the only place there I am sure but an good indication of what you might find and the prices you'll pay.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused.

Are you a US Citizen? Wasn't clear. If so it renders moot many of the next questions.

Are you hoping your father could sponsor you for a visa?

Are you hoping your husband is qualified for a work visa in his own right?

I think the waiting list for a US citizen sponsoring his married children is quite long (but I'm not sure--will let others chime in on that point).

What is your husband's career / skills and what sort of employment visa would he qualify for?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debzfall
Hi there,

I will keep this brief but would appreciate any advice. I am starting the process
of possibly moving from UK to USA as my father is an American - born and lived there all his life.
That's not enough info to determine if your move is even possible.

Are YOU a US Citizen? If so, you'd need to sponsor your non-USC spouse and kids for visas, and need either a lot of cash in the bank or someone to joint-sponsor with you that has a great job or lots of cash.

If you are not a US Citizen, then you are in for a wait for visas and the whole idea may not be feasible anyway.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your responses. The info I have from my dad, the embassy and the paperwork the embassy have sent me is that I only need to apply for my American passport with some documents from my dad. They have advised me it is not a long process, however until I have my appointment with them I am not thinking it will be a quick or easy process!! I have been advised that once I get the passport my husband can get his green card fairly quickly as we have been married over two years. In all honesty I read so much now it confuses me. Just hoping it is all worthwhile and we can do it. My husband is a volunteer police officer but his main job isn't a skilled job, it's sales and we have had someone ask to speak to him in Colorado but its all very early stages!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't get a green card, he gets an IR-1 visa. If he successfully enters the US with it, he is mailed his green card in a few weeks.

Seems like you need to learn a lot more about the process before making too many plans. It will take 6 months or so for your husband to obtain the visa, even after you obtain your proof of citizenship.

And he and your kids will still need to be sponsored by someone who is a US resident that has money or a good job as far as their applications for visas are concerned.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so basically your dad is helping you prove you are a US citizen. If you were born in the USA it is automatic--he need only show the birth certificate. If born overseas a bit more paperwork but not that difficult.

That will get you in, and you can bring along your husband and the kids provided you can meet the financial sponsorship requirements. You really don't need to worry about your husband's career as his visa issue is sorted by your citizenship.

Some police departments will hire Green Card holders but you'll be kind of down the list. With the drawdown of military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, there is a huge pool of military trained individuals, many of whom are seeking work in the police. In my county in the USA every single hire for the last five years has been a combat veteran, so you may find the competition for police jobs a bit tough right now.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
That will get you in, and you can bring along your husband and the kids provided you can meet the financial sponsorship requirements.
To the OP: "bring along" in the paragraph above doesn't mean you all just hop on a plane to the USA. It means you would be qualified to sponsor your husband for an Immigrant Visa, which takes about 6 - 8 months to obtain. You will need to research IR-1 Immigrant Visa. Look at our Marriage Based forum on this site for more information. Look for posts with "DCR" in them, this means the I-130 has been filed directly to London, which you are qualified to do.

Only when your husband has his Immigrant Visa in hand, can he move to the USA. He gets his green card upon entry using that visa.

I believe the kids also need an Immigrant Visa, but they become USCs upon entry to the USA using that visa.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Look for posts with "DCR" in them, this means the I-130 has been filed directly to London, which you are qualified to do.
DCF.

But anyway, welcome to BE and good luck to the OP!

The mention of healthcare above is certainly a very big and valid one, especially having kids.

As the OP is a US citizen, hope taxes have been filed over the years. Will need the last 3 at the very least.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
DCF.

But anyway, welcome to BE and good luck to the OP!

The mention of healthcare above is certainly a very big and valid one, especially having kids.

As the OP is a US citizen, hope taxes have been filed over the years. Will need the last 3 at the very least.
Not if her income was below the threshold for filing. To the OP, even if you have to file back tax returns for 3 years, there is a $92,000 exclusion per year plus foreign tax credits that can be applied above that amount so it is usually just paperwork with no taxes owed.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debzfall
Hi there,

of possibly moving from UK to USA as my father is an American - born and lived there all his life. I know it's a lengthy process but my issue is this. My dad lives in Arkansas and his advice is it isn't the best place for us to come for work etc. I am at a loss as to where to start looking and to give my husband a realistic idea of lifestyle, cost of living etc. we like to idea of colorado, being very outdoors types and not great beach lovers, more skiing, bike riding, walking etc however but we don't want to be miles away from work etc. any suggestion of other places I could research would be appreciated - good or bad info to oh my children are 7 and 2.

Thank you
Debbie
Hello Debbie.

Colorado is a lovely place, a good choice, I used to live in the Rockies it was very nice, hot in summer, cold and lots of snow in winter, but at least they are equipped to handle it.

For the hubby I would go with a sales job, selling something substanial like cars, if he is good at his job he will do alright, Some sales jobs dont pay that well so thats for you to decide, Many Americans like Brits and will buy from us, so the accent is a plus.

The police force in my state are constantly cutting back as the local and state Govt cuts back, Security jobs in many cases seem to pay low wages.

A few posters have mentioned Healthcare, you need to investigate this as much as any other detail, let me tell you it does not come with all jobs, some places give it free with the job while other places offer it at a cost.

In most cases having Health Insurance will not cover you for everything, you will most likely still have to pay at least 20% of all bills, you should know Hospital and Doctors fees are Very Expensive, you will pay a fee to see a Doctor, you will get medications at a discount, you will be expected to pay a deductablem, Eg, the first $1000 per person etc.

Everybody I know has a different plan, all plans differ, nothing is straight foward or easy when it comes to medical, you can also get covered for Dental and Eye care.

I'm self employed and my medical Insurance costs as much as I pay for my monthly house payment.

Many people cant afford healthcare, 40 or 50 Million have no Medical Insurance at all, If you already have health issues that may be a problem too, I hate to be the bringer of Bad News but Healthcare here is bad news, the care is usually great and quick but as I said before its expensive.

If you get a job with Insurance you will be OK, but as soon as you lose your Job the insurance goes too, these are things you should consider.

Holidays is another sore issue, there is no law in America that says you will be getting 5 weeks holidays per year, Most companies Ive worked for gave me a week off after One year, two weeks off after two years, three weeks off after eight or ten years, people work hard in America with little time off, at least thats been my experience...

I know what Ive written my be a bit discouraging to you, please ask other forum members about these issues if it bothers you, get a few peoples point of view, Not just mine, I dont think I know it all and I dont want to misguide you, Just ask plenty of questions.

I wish you lots of luck.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Apr 9th 2013 at 9:15 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

kansanbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnson County, Kansas (Kansas City suburb). Cheap housing, low cost of living, reasonable amount of work and great schools. You could drive to see your dad and to Colorado for vacations although there is a lot of lakes and water sports around here. One of the US best kept secrets, I moved here from the UK 20 years ago.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
Johnson County, Kansas (Kansas City suburb). Cheap housing, low cost of living, reasonable amount of work and great schools. You could drive to see your dad and to Colorado for vacations although there is a lot of lakes and water sports around here. One of the US best kept secrets, I moved here from the UK 20 years ago.
I've not been there but the midwest has some surprisingly beautiful hidden secrets. Heres one I am aware of, nearly bought a house here a few years ago:

http://www.beaverlakenebraska.org/listings.aspx

Not trying to be an advert for the realtor he was just the first one to show some nice pictures of the area.

Always remember though there's a reason the military built Fort Leavenworth in Kansas!!

Last edited by vikingsail; Apr 10th 2013 at 1:41 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much to everyone that has taken the time to reply and even post links! Definately given me lots to research! I think as a few have mentioned the healthcare costs is one of my biggest concerns so will need to research this properly and understand it. Some areas mentioned I would never have even considered looking at so thank you! Am sure I will be back on here with lots more questions once I have had my appointment at the embassy - hopefully within the next month!!

Debbie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.