Reload this Page >

UK to US debt questions

UK to US debt questions

Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

UKSteven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US debt questions

Hi,

I've read a few threads about this but want to check I understand the law correctly. If anyone can look at the following statements and confirm that they are correct I would be extremely grateful. NOTE - I've tried to give all the information I think is relevant whilst staying anonymous... If you need to ask anything please do so.

A family member recently moved to the US and got married (to a US citizen) and now has a permanent VISA (not sure exactly what it's called) to live and work within the US. The person intends to stay in the US permanently (or at least for the foreseeable future). When the person left the UK they had (and still have) several thousand pound in debts - some in a bank overdraft and some in credit card debts. Since the leaving date they have been juggling the debts/payments to essentially tread water with them while awaiting a Social Security Number (to work) and to find a job.

As I understand the law the person could just default on the debts and the companies wouldn't be able to do anything, even if they could track this person down.

My reasoning -

As they don't live in the UK the companies can't obtain a CCJ legally (although they might still obtain one using old addresses).

Without a legal CCJ they would be unable to go through the UK->Canada->US route to bring successful court proceedings.

Am I right? Or, if not, what have I misunderstood from previous threads?

Thanks to anyone who reads / offers help

Last edited by UKSteven; Aug 24th 2011 at 4:47 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US debt questions

Originally Posted by UKSteven
Hi,

I've read a few threads about this but want to check I understand the law correctly. If anyone can look at the following statements and confirm that they are correct I would be extremely grateful. NOTE - I've tried to give all the information I think is relevant whilst staying anonymous... If you need to ask anything please do so.

A family member recently moved to the US and got married (to a US citizen) and now has a permanent VISA (not sure exactly what it's called) to live and work within the US. The person intends to stay in the US permanently (or at least for the foreseeable future). When the person left the UK they had (and still have) several thousand pound in debts - some in a bank overdraft and some in credit card debts. Since the leaving date they have been juggling the debts/payments to essentially tread water with them while awaiting a Social Security Number (to work) and to find a job.

As I understand the law the person could just default on the debts and the companies wouldn't be able to do anything, even if they could track this person down.

My reasoning -

As they don't live in the UK the companies can't obtain a CCJ legally (although they might still obtain one using old addresses).

Without a legal CCJ they would be unable to go through the UK->Canada->US route to bring successful court proceedings.

Am I right? Or, if not, what have I misunderstood from previous threads?

Thanks to anyone who reads / offers help
So you are going to advise 'your friend' to just bale out from his responsibilities and ignore the agreement he signed when he acquired the debt?

Nice one...
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be more socially acceptable than looting.

A lot of people on the Oz part of the forum seem to have done this, many confidently say that if you stay away for a certain number of years (7?) you're OK, sorry your family member is OK.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
So you are going to advise 'your friend' to just bale out from his responsibilities and ignore the agreement he signed when he acquired the debt?

Nice one...
1) It's not a 'friend' it's a member of my family.

2) I'm not advising them to do anything, I will just lay out the options but I want to know the information I give is accurate.

3) I have no interest whether you, or anyone else for that matter, approves. I would just like to know if I understand the law correctly.

PS. I've kept the whole post anonymous so I don't understand why anyone would think I would bother substituting 'me' for a 'member of my family'. If it was my debt I would just say so because the whole post is anonymous...
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The question might be whether you are prepared to be hounded by debt collectors for seven years while your family member is off sunning him/herself. Whether it is legal or not for debt collectors to pester family members doesn't matter, I've not known such thugs to be particularly law abiding.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The question might be whether you are prepared to be hounded by debt collectors for seven years while your family member is off sunning him/herself. Whether it is legal or not for debt collectors to pester family members doesn't matter, I've not known such thugs to be particularly law abiding.
Yeah I know that this is likely to happen. It's a close member of my family that I would do anything for, so I'm gladly willing to accept it if this is the option that the person takes.

I'm very doubtful that the person would do what I am asking about anyway (which is default and ignore the debts) but I want to give them all the options and be clear in my own mind that I am not misinforming them.

PS. None of the companies know that the person left the UK around 1 year ago.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know that this is likely to happen. It's a close member of my family that I would do anything for, so I'm gladly willing to accept it if this is the option that the person takes.

I'm very doubtful that the person would do what I am asking about anyway (which is default and ignore the debts) but I want to give them all the options and be clear in my own mind that I am not misinforming them.

PS. None of the companies know that the person left the UK around 1 year ago.
Fair enough, check in with B&Q for the latest prices on front doors.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If debt collectors harass you in the US, just take them to court and collect their money from them. Doubt it works in the UK, though.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You're never going to get a definitive answer since one doesn't exist. However, for a relatively small amount of debt and a person who makes the right choices at the right time, I'd say they have a good chance of avoiding the debt.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Fair enough, check in with B&Q for the latest prices on front doors.

Hehe. Well they can kick my front door in but they better expect to pay for it and to see me in court. I've got no connection with the debts apart from being a blood relation - I can't see a court authorising balliffs to force entry into the home of a family relation to a debtor.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

The best option, if your relation wants rid of the debts and to make a fresh start, would be to declare bankruptcy before leaving for the USA.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
The best option, if your relation wants rid of the debts and to make a fresh start, would be to declare bankruptcy before leaving for the USA.
Is this even an option? The person moved to the US a year ago, currently resides there permanently and is looking for work after recently getting their SS number (or whatever it's called)...
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Is this even an option? The person moved to the US a year ago, currently resides there permanently and is looking for work after recently getting their SS number (or whatever it's called)...
Sorry, I hadn't read your OP fully.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ow-Live-Abroad
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Sorry, I hadn't read your OP fully.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ow-Live-Abroad
Thanks Controller

It's another option but I think the chances of them doing this are almost zero (for reasons I won't go into). I didn't realise that this was an option for 3 years from leaving the UK and moving to the US.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:56 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Your family member intends to remain in the US for the foreseeable future. What about the unforseeable future? What if they need to return to the UK to take care of an ailing parent, or develop a medical condition which would bankrupt them in the US and decide to return to the UK to become eligible for NHS treatment? What if the person's spouse loses their job before the person finds a job, and they decide they can't afford living in the US and want to move to the UK? From the sounds of things, the family does not have significant savings to fall back on.

Better to keep all options open for as long as possible. Advise them to continue paying the debt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.