Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK TV's work in the US with an adaptor?

UK TV's work in the US with an adaptor?

Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:13 pm
Philly in the hizzy!

PhillyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK TV's work in the US with an adaptor?

Hi all! We are moving to America in one month's time and have been selling off all things on ebay and shipping over only special items. I was under the impression that any applicances and TV's that we purchased here would not work over in America due to electricity differences.

Can anyone let me know if they took over their UK tv's to America and just used an adapter?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

SDB1985 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK TV's work in the US with an adaptor?

Im taking my TV too, though you cant just plug it in with a socket adapter due to the voltage difference. You can however buy voltage transformers - I couldnt tell you where in the US, but the link below is roughly what I will get.

http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC500W

I havent actually tried it yet, but I assume this will be what I need!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Though it does depend on how much your TV is worth - may make more sense to just sell the UK one and buy new in the US
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:21 pm
Philly in the hizzy!

PhillyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

That is what I thought in terms of the transformer. I think based on what it will cost to ship both TV's plus the transformers, it might make more sense to just by new once back in the US.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:24 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PhillyGirl
Hi all! We are moving to America in one month's time and have been selling off all things on ebay and shipping over only special items. I was under the impression that any applicances and TV's that we purchased here would not work over in America due to electricity differences.

Can anyone let me know if they took over their UK tv's to America and just used an adapter?
Not only is the voltage and frequency of the power supply is different but also the TV signal.

Normally a lot less fuss just to buy a US TV.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:50 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We use a uk tv in the game room for the wii. The transformers make an awful noise. I wouldn't us it as my main tv.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

What do you mean the TV signal? Ill be getting a cable box, which I would of thought had HDMI connection so Id use that.

Didnt realise they made that much noise....ill have to see how annoying it gets.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

There is a danger to running a transformer and I certainly wouldn't want to risk it 24/7.

TVs are getting cheaper and there are offers in the Sunday papers every week. Typically, a 42" LCD HD TV will cost in the region of $400+ depending on features and brand. Prices get even lower on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving, which is the last Thursday in November) when 32" TVs are often well below $200! Also, the time around the Super Bowl (first Sunday in February) sees some very good prices.

If it were me, I would sell my TV in the UK and buy here. Don't forget to allow for a surge protector or even a UPS as power is not as "clean" as it is back home.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDB1985
What do you mean the TV signal? Ill be getting a cable box, which I would of thought had HDMI connection so Id use that.

Didnt realise they made that much noise....ill have to see how annoying it gets.
The US uses the broadcast standard NTSC...the UK uses PAL. From what I've read in The Lab forum...many of the new TVs will work on both formats...but that's only what I have read.

The main problem with transformers IMO is that they get very hot. Which is not a good thing when you live in a tinderbox house.

Take a look at the prices of US TVs online...I think you will find them much cheaper.

Another problem is getting a UK TV repaired in the US.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Although the US domestic supply is 110V, it's common for there to also be a 240V supply from the panel for heavy-duty appliances like tumble dryers and ovens. It might be worth consulting with an licensed electrician to see how feasible it would be to get a 240V line to your games room for your UK telly. Whether that would be cheaper than just selling the UK telly and buying another one in the US is a different matter though.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The main problem with transformers IMO is that they get very hot. Which is not a good thing when you live in a tinderbox house.
Will be in a Chicago high-rise, so I hope its not made of wood

Ah I kinda knew that NTSC/PAL thing....just not at the front of my mind. My tv will be fine for that

Im starting to think this may be more trouble than it was worth- but the TV is being delivered to the wife today!

We kept its because it was 50inch, 3d and we have the specific glasses for it. However managed to get a pretty good deal on it and shipping was only about £100 (on top of the rest of our stuff) so although Im not that worried about the waste of money, it would be kinda frustrating - plus its a good TV!

I shall have my fingers crossed that the movers broke it, then I can claim on the insurance we bought!

Last edited by SDB1985; Oct 26th 2012 at 2:24 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:28 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

It's an irritating buzz all the time, and ours was a good one. Plus, like JG said, they get very hot. It's also be raised in the past that if it causes a fire, it could invalidate your insurance.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weeze
It's an irritating buzz all the time, and ours was a good one. Plus, like JG said, they get very hot. It's also be raised in the past that if it causes a fire, it could invalidate your insurance.
Do they have power switches on them or are they always on when plugged in to the wall?

Will have to remember to leave it off if im out!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:35 pm

Yes they have power switches on them. I always unplug it anyway though as sometimes it seems to be on even when in the off position. American electrics are terrifying anyway. I get blue sparks when I plug stuff in, if the iron steams, the lights dim...
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have power switches on them or are they always on when plugged in to the wall?

Will have to remember to leave it off if im out!
Defo make sure it is unplugged from the wall when it is not in use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.