Uk Tv Usa?

Old Feb 14th 2003, 10:09 pm
darrenb

Default Uk Tv Usa?

So you've decided to move half way across the planet and everything's going well. You flick on the TV only to find NUTMEG 24/7 - The nutmeg channel. A channel dedicated to nutmeg. This weekend is NUTMEG weekend. Thats right kids its 24 hour NUTMEG, all the time. Why not visit our website www.nutmeg/com/nutmeg and click on nutmeg.

In all seriousness do you guys manage to imbibe enough British TV in the US? Ive heard about BBC America but what do you guys think? Are there up to date UK shows on other channels? If so - what?

This post is no slight on US TV after all the likes of The West Wing, 6 foot under, CSI, Friends, Will & Grace etc etc are exceptionally entertaining. I did however see a channel called the Church Channel...

Its not like Im going to spend all day infront of the TV but Im interested to know what available. We will probably be moving to Ohio so any info would be appreciated....

Anyway, gotta go, theres something on tv about nutmeg.

Old Feb 15th 2003, 2:39 am
Just Joined

ukinusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello darrenb!

I've been in the US for just about 18 months now and live in the mountains of Washington State, right at the base of Mt.Rainier.

BBC America made huge improvements a while back but unfortunately, I think it's on a downward spiral again.

It's just continuous repeats (Ab.Fab, Graham Norton, Monty Python, Alan Titchmarsh and his gang doing their gardening bit etc. etc. etc.).

Thankfully, we have a fantastic library that does an outreach service and they've now taken to putting anything with the merest hint of the UK in my box. It's a brilliant service and it's been a lifesaver. I really miss not hearing an English accent though
Old Feb 17th 2003, 4:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

BBC America was a huge diasspointment when we finally got our cable installed a few weeks back. I had expected somethign akin to BBC World - ie some good news coverage, as well as a reasonable rotation of other programmes, but as the previous poster mentioned, there is some pretty unimaginative scheduling of some pretty routine programmes (nothing much to get excited about) and no news coverage. And adverts....

Apart from that, we have about 700 cable channels, and I'm sure there must be some good stuff in there somewhere, we're just struggling to find it! There are just too many channels, the deer in the headlights syndrome kicks in and we normally end up with CNN or reruns of friends, cheers and everyone loves raymond!

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but on trips back to the UK, the terrestrial channels seem head and shoulders above anything you get anywhere else in the world.
Old Feb 17th 2003, 11:00 am
darrenb

I understand what you mean. When Im in the US at my wife's mums house I often sit there and flick through countless hundreds of channels and find little appealing. I do however enjoy those 2 TV shopping weasals on one channel who sell PC's for idiots. I dont know if anyone knows who I mean. They basically make out that everything in the computer world is near impossible EXCEPT their fabulous computer systems that can be set up in less than 20 minutes. Ah love it....

Well heres an Idea. Anyone who has managed to locate a decent British program in the US should reply to this thread. Tell us what, where, when, etc etc. This way we can find out if theres more to life than BBC America.

Cheers

D

Old Feb 17th 2003, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Same here guys, we upgraded our cable account to include BBC America and what a disappointment ! repeats repeats repeats !!! the only good thing is the news at 6pm which at least gives the news from UK and the world, unlike our local 9 and 10 news station here in Michigan which thinks the world stops at the US border.

I have Steve Wright in the afternoon streaming on my pc which is good if not a little surreal getting UK's weather and travel news. Tailbacks on the M6 seem so far away

I'll let you know if i come up with anything better

Jan
Old Feb 17th 2003, 5:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

hadn't realised they showed the news at 6 on the beeb - we have a 20 month old and a 1 month old so 5-7 is pretty well taken up with dinner/bath/bed routine...

like the idea of posting any good stuff on this thread....waiting with antici............................................ ..........pation!
Old Feb 18th 2003, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

adamfdz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in the US since july and agree that BBC America is just rubbish. I can't believe i resented paying my licence fee back in the UK...what i would give for the likes of only fools and horses, newsnight, panorama etc. When i emailed BBC America i found it is is not actually a BBC run channel, but the discovery network pay to use the BBC name and have access to some rubbish programs and pass that off as the BBC in America.

A good news channel i recommend is 'News world international-NWI TV'. It is from Canada and is almost on a BBC par, but has a lot of international news and speciality programs from Deutsche Welle on European matters-UK included. I get it via direct TV satellite...not sure about cable.

Hope that helps...Adam

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
hadn't realised they showed the news at 6 on the beeb - we have a 20 month old and a 1 month old so 5-7 is pretty well taken up with dinner/bath/bed routine...

like the idea of posting any good stuff on this thread....waiting with antici............................................ ..........pation!
Old Feb 18th 2003, 4:13 pm
darrenb

Thanks Adam,

It seems that BBC America is a steaming pile of toss. Does anyone know there is any method whatsoever for picking up the UK channels direct. Im not sure how, maybe a 10 ft dish or something? We must have some sat techies around here somewhere!

D

Old Feb 18th 2003, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes,

BBCA is complete pants.

At least our local PBS TV station (KERA in Dallas), relays the BBC world news at 7am for 30 minutes each weekday!

Also our PBS radio station (also KERA) carry the BBC World Service form 11pm through to 5am next morning, so if I happen to be up overnight...

Don't forget that you can always see BBC one news as a webcast from the www.bbc.co.uk/news web site...

Also some Beeb and Independent local radio stations offer real audio streams...

Brian.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 7:04 pm
The Dogs bollox

southcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking BBCA

Yep, I get that KERA station here in Dallas too...I thought it was pretty useless....UNTIL.

last weekend I was dropping off on the couch, and the Royle family came on at midnight....so this weekend I flipped over to channel 13 (kera)...YES they had the Royle Family on, then they played english soccer highlights from SKY TV....(1.00 am)

I am happy as pig in sh*t....

as in the words of the crocidile hunter...

"YOU BEAUTY"
Old Feb 24th 2003, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

somersetfolks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBCamerica

I had BBC america for the first year i lived here, bored off my ass with it after about 2 weeks except for the heavenly pleasure of watching eastenders, but still watched it as it made me feel closer to home. The rest of it isnt worth bothering with. have now moved and cant get digital cable thanks to our condo assoc. only miss my weekly soap, but get friends to tape it so its not too unbearable. did manage to find on pbs (in Atlanta) the other night, fautly towers, the thing with the bucket woman and the vicar or dibley, so bonus there, even if have seen it 3000 times. could do with only fools and horses somewhere though.
best thing to do is buy a multi region dvd player and make your family to woolies for all the good stuff and mail it over!
Old Feb 24th 2003, 2:37 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

If you get BBC America or go through all the hassle involed with installing Direct TV... you'd better like Changing Rooms and Ground Force.

In fact... you'd better LOVE both the shows a LOT!